Hardware compatability question

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

zapbuzz

Hardware compatability question

Post by zapbuzz »

Hello.
I am interested in this operating system but I have a lot of questions.

I have this dual 800mhz pentium 3 system and what i'd like to know is if React OS 4.11 can make use of a dual cpu system such as mine.
Basically like 2 threads efficiently.

I have a microsoft usb mouse will it work on usb 1.0 with React OS?

My soundcard haS drivers that supported windows xp and newer, a "creative" brand pci soundcard. Will the driver load in React OS?
(The driver also has software designed to load Creative soundfonts)

can my PCI SATA2 card load with windows xp drivers?
My PC's SATA2 card can support disks up to 3TB in size, I want to use a 500GB SATA disk can React OS support such large capacities?

Can React OS support windows vista or windows seven drivers?

I use a software midi synthesizer call Yamaha YXG50 which uses a software wdm driver for windows xp will it work in React OS?

Thanks for reading :)
onestop_mid

Re: Hardware compatability question

Post by onestop_mid »

The only way to see if most things work is by trying! Burn ReactOS 4.11 or 4.12 to a CD and try it! Though, ReactOS only supports Windows XP drivers. If there is an XP driver it doesn't support, report it as a bug.
zapbuzz

Post by zapbuzz »

cool ... i shall try today :)
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

zapbuzz wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pm i'd like to know is if React OS 4.11 can make use of a dual cpu system such as mine.
Probably not. ReactOS doesn't implement SMP at all yet.
zapbuzz wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pm I have a microsoft usb mouse will it work on usb 1.0 with React OS?
Possibly?
zapbuzz wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pm My soundcard haS drivers that supported windows xp and newer, a "creative" brand pci soundcard. Will the driver load in React OS?
can my PCI SATA2 card load with windows xp drivers?
I use a software midi synthesizer call Yamaha YXG50 which uses a software wdm driver for windows xp will it work in React OS?
They *should* work...
zapbuzz wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pm I want to use a 500GB SATA disk can React OS support such large capacities?
I hope so. The most popular filesystems used are FAT32, which supports volumes up to 2 TB, and BTRFS, which supports up to 16 EB.
zapbuzz wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pm Can React OS support windows vista or windows seven drivers?
No. Not yet anyway.
middings

Post by middings »

zapbuzz wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pmI am interested in this operating system but I have a lot of questions.
What have you already done to find answers to your questions yourself? There is a ReactOS Wiki with much documentation. At the top of the ReactOS.org home page, choose the ">Wiki" link at the top of the page. Then in the section marked "Documentation" choose "About ReactOS". Read everything there. Then go back to the main Wiki page and in the section marked "Testing" choose "Installing ReactOS". Read all of that too.

If you've tried to find the answer on your own but couldn't, then start a new topic in the "ReactOS Website discussion" forum. In your new topic, mention the question you were trying to answer and what you did to try to find the answer yourself. This will draw attention to deficiencies in ReactOS's documentation. Other forum participants can then edit the wiki to improve ReactOS's documentation.
...can (ReactOS) make use of a dual CPU system (at this time?)
Go to the "Installing ReactOS" page in the ReactOS Wiki. In the "Limitations" section of that page, look for the links marked "Known Issues" and "Missing ReactOS Functionality". Choose those links and look for the discussion of "Multiprocessing" on the linked pages.
I have a Microsoft USB mouse will it work on USB 1.0 with ReactOS? ... My sound card...? ...PCI SATA2 card...?
The "Known Issues" page mentioned previously is your friend.
Can ReactOS support Windows Vista or Windows Seven drivers?
Those drivers require NT6 type operating systems. Check the "Known Issues" page mentioned previously and read the "Drivers" section.
...will (a software WDM driver for Windows XP) work in ReactOS?
See prior answer.

“Let us stand on each others' shoulders, not each others' toes.” – Dennis Allison, Dr. Dobb's Journal of Tiny BASIC Calisthenics & Orthodontia (Running Light without Overbyte)
zapbuzz

Post by zapbuzz »

i read no multiple cpu support that even multi core systems cannot use more than one cpu core. Therefore it wouldn't be much better than running say windows 98 as it too can only use one core. I could however enable multiple task processing but its still one core.
If someones willing to build say a nightly build with experimental multi cpu support i will try it but until then i'm just best to use windows that i was looking for a generic for basics like photoshop and soundfont uses.
Given my test, however, i am pleased with the responsiveness in regards to a 16gb system disk and 2gb memory.
If i could get both cpu's to work together with this operating system then it would probably out do windows xp on a core duo pentium 4 with MMX (not using mmx2)
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

zapbuzz wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:28 pm If someones willing to build say a nightly build with experimental multi cpu support i will try it
Wouldn't we all... I wish it were that easy to add a major feature.