Licensing issue on javascript virtualization

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

kdkdk

Licensing issue on javascript virtualization

Post by kdkdk »

Hello everyone!

You might have heard of https://github.com/copy/v86 , which is an x86 virtualization in Javascript which allows ReactOS to be run online.
The way it works is it downloads an image of whatever operating system you'd like to run locally in the browsers memory.
I stitched a few things together and I have a small website/marketplace where you could legally play old games for which the licenses haven't expired. The revenue would just go to the original creators and to keep the site running.
I know that ReactOS is under a GPL license and as far as I know it would be legal to run commercial games on ReactOS, but this way an image running ReactOS is downloaded at the end of the user.
I'd like a quick heads up to see if this is ok or not before continuing on the project.

Thank you so much!

Edit: I should have probably posted this in the 'support' subforum.
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Licensing issue on javascript virtualization

Post by ThFabba »

Yes, anyone is free to download and install a copy of ROS in their browser.
The GPL's most notable requirement is that if you distribute modified copies, you must also provide source code for them. Downloading or re-distributing an unmodified copy will not cause you any troubles.
kdkdk

Post by kdkdk »

Even if money is charged for the games running on the copy (of which I only have the license and binaries, not the source code)? I just want to be clear.
Thank you,
Kevin
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

ReactOS's license doesn't care about other software that you might bundle with it - it doesn't cover those. They have their own licenses.