I don't have CD :-(

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gubeev

I don't have CD :-(

Post by Gubeev »

I want to copy some installation files in temp. folder and run it over Win2000 to upgrade it to ReactOS. My notebook has no CD drives at all. How can I install ReactOS this way?
walter

Post by walter »

please keep in mind reactos is still in alpha stage and not still suitable for anyday use!!!

i think you could try with an usb stick...
Gubeev

Post by Gubeev »

1.I cant boot from USB stick
2.How I can transfer CD ISO image onto this stick?
steveh

Upgrade to reactos, interesting!

Post by steveh »

Though reactos is still alpha and not everyday-use ready, upgrading from windows is an interesting, new idea!
I imagine that in fact it would solve some driver and registry problems, by taking over essential settings from windows.

For your question about lack of CD on the machine, i would say that you can copy the installation files from "make install" to your C drive but then you cannot upgrade.

By the way, i don't know if the reactos install process done from CD by "setupldr.sys" supports looking on C: for existing OS and upgrading it to reactos instead of fresh install reactos? Maybe it does not for now.

But how did you install Win2000 if the machine does not have a CD?
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I had nearly the same problem (But because of the setup didn't work with my screen/video card).

What I did, was the following:
I copied the files made by "make install" to the drive and copied freeldr.sys/ini as well. Then I booted from a linux cd (a linux floppy drive should work for you as well) and copied the bootsector to the mbr via "dd".
But you should also be able to use freeldr on a floppy disk...
my blog: phoenix.de.am
Gubeev

Post by Gubeev »

Thanks everybody, but this all seems to be too complicated for me :-(

I used to install Wndows 98/95 coping distributive on hdd, then boot from DOS floppy and run W98 setup program from DOS prompt. But I can't do the same with ReactOS :-(
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

You can also try to run ReactOS under emulator (such as QEMU). It is not necessary to install it on hard disk partition to have a look at it.

Your nick looks like Russian last name. :) If you know this language you can ask your questions at that forum.
Gubeev

Post by Gubeev »

hto wrote:You can also try to run ReactOS under emulator (such as QEMU). It is not necessary to install it on hard disk partition to have a look at it.

Your nick looks like Russian last name. :) If you know this language you can ask your questions at that forum.
Точно, я из Росссии :)

Хочу поставить ReactOS на старенький IBMовский нотбук, а у того только FDD. Я в таких случаях сначала удалял с диска все, ставил туда с дискеты DOS, потом по параллельному порту кабелем перекидывал дистрибутив Windows и его устанавливал запуском Setup из комнадной строки. А ReactOS только с CD грузится :cry: BIOS не поддерживает загрузку с внешних носителей, подключенных к USB Че делать?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

На русском лучше писать сюда: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Можно поставить ОС сперва на другую машину, затем всё "добро" перегнать оттуда по кабелю на ноутбук. В качестве загрузчика годится GRUB.
Jaix
Moderator Team

wowowowow!

Post by Jaix »

wowowow! In this forum you need to keep to english everyone need to be able to understand!
But feel free to use native languages in the language forums.