uh , it won't boot.. why..?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

jason.b.c

uh , it won't boot.. why..?

Post by jason.b.c »

i DL'd R-OS v0.3.1 last night , burnt a CD at 4x , restarted my 'puter and the react boot gets hung at the status bar...

now what..?
WhiteFlash

Post by WhiteFlash »

0.3.1 is known to have quite a few bugs in it that were fixed later in the svn builds. Try downloading a recent copy from svn.reactos.org/iso and see what happens. There have been a lot of changes since 0.3.1 so there is a good chance it will act a little better.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

WhiteFlash wrote:0.3.1 is known to have quite a few bugs in it that were fixed later in the svn builds. Try downloading a recent copy from svn.reactos.org/iso and see what happens. There have been a lot of changes since 0.3.1 so there is a good chance it will act a little better.
Well isn't that just FREAKIN' wonderfull , I mean i wasted two hours of my life downloading the damn thing , Waste a damn CD burning it and i'm told that this version had problems like that...

That raises a good question..., If it had such problems like this with not booting up then why in the hell is it still on the download page...?

And where do i get the newest one..?
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Go to the bottom of the downloads page, click nightly build, scroll down to find the latest boot-rel.7z file you see, download that, and unzip it with 7-zip. That will create a usable ISO. Sorry about you $0.05-$0.10 CD, if it is a rewriteable, just erase and redo. Sorry for your two hours, but you have been on this forum while we described errors like this before. On the grand scale, two hours is just above a Planck second.
More ReactOS, please!
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Reacter wrote:Go to the bottom of the downloads page, click nightly build, scroll down to find the latest boot-rel.7z file you see, download that, and unzip it with 7-zip. That will create a usable ISO. Sorry about you $0.05-$0.10 CD, if it is a rewriteable, just erase and redo. Sorry for your two hours, but you have been on this forum while we described errors like this before. On the grand scale, two hours is just above a Planck second.
Well it would have been nice if it were REMOVED from the download page , see what i mean..?

Nevermind ME being a member here for "however" long , what about the newcomers...? The people who DON'T know about the bugs in that version...!

WiseGuy.

Oh , and i hope the build isn't in 7z only...?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Lawl mate... you have a big warning on Main Page -
THIS OS IS IN ALPHA STAGE, NOT FOR EVERYDAY USE!

This means not for everyone to just grab it and use it. I dont imply that you cannot try it, but you should show at least some knowledge...

You should for example notice that we dont recommend to run ROS on a real hardware... its hard to debug that way, more errors can appear and it`s harder to locate them.
If you know what to do and how to setup a proper debug output, we would be more than gratefull for feedback and bugzillla entries.

You probably also used LiveCD instead of BootCD, which is also less stable right now.

You could just write a post on forum, BEFORE trying ROS, NOT AFTER. You`d surely receive a detailed help, what to do, what do avoid. You could also join #reactos irc channel, there is someone there to help almost all the time.

Nope, you had to be smarter than average bear and do it yourself. Cheer up, you just learned a valuable knowledge, through personal experience...
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

be warned, there are still no grantees that the latest SVN version will boot on your hardware either (it might, it might not).
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

if you dont want to install 7zip then download the portable version of 7zip or extract the 7z with winrar.