problem on booting from hdd

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr. Anderson

problem on booting from hdd

Post by Mr. Anderson »

Hello,

I've just installed ReactOS on a 20 GB-Harddisk. Here the output of fdisk (GNU/Linux) (with fdisk I've also created this partition table):

Code: Select all

Disk /dev/hdb: 20.0 GB, 20020396032 bytes
2 heads, 63 sectors/track, 310336 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 126 * 512 = 64512 bytes

Device   Boot      Start            End            Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1     *                  1     310336    19551136+    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
As you can see, there is only one partition. (The other HDD has been plugged out during installation and booting)
I formatted the partition with mkdosfs as FAT32 and standard values.
In the ReactOS setup I chose the suggested settings, only switching from English to German. Setup formatted the partition once again and installation worked fine.

Now I tried to boot from this HDD. But all that happens is an output on the screen like:

Code: Select all

F99    99    99    99    99    99    99    99    99    99    99    99    99   [...]
and my PC hangs up.

Any idea what I've made wrong?

PS: Hope, my English is not too bad. I also wrote this Thread in the German Forum
luis

Post by luis »

hello mr. Anderson i`m not an expert in this but i has the same problem and ois because you linux has the primary boot sector and then repleaced with ros i dont know what happen exactky but ros can't take the primary boot and creates conflict bucause the boots sector don't are the same try put linux os manager again and the problem should be solved

sorry bad english i'm from mex

:lol:
CFH
Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

Hello Luis,

I don't know whether there was ever a boot manager installed on the drive, but I will try it with your suggestion. (I will try it with grub)

(btw: I was wrong: the message on my display is not F99 ..., but L99...)
Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

Hm... I'm not sure. But maybe there was an old installation of Grub in the MBR of the harddisk. I thought, ReactOS would overwrite it. Why didn't this work?

I've tried it by reconfiguring my Grub in the other drive's MBR. Now Grub starts (hd1,0)/freeldr.sys. But freeloader tells me that NTOSKRNL.EXE is not found. So I tried it starting manually bypressing F8 and choosing >Custom Boot >ReactOS. I told it, that it shall boot from hd1 and that the ROS-Path is \ReactOS. When now trying to start I get an error message that no Memory could be allocated.

What's wrong now?
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Mr. Anderson wrote:Hm... I'm not sure. But maybe there was an old installation of Grub in the MBR of the harddisk. I thought, ReactOS would overwrite it. Why didn't this work?

I've tried it by reconfiguring my Grub in the other drive's MBR. Now Grub starts (hd1,0)/freeldr.sys. But freeloader tells me that NTOSKRNL.EXE is not found. So I tried it starting manually bypressing F8 and choosing >Custom Boot >ReactOS. I told it, that it shall boot from hd1 and that the ROS-Path is \ReactOS. When now trying to start I get an error message that no Memory could be allocated.

What's wrong now?
Try typing "/fastdetect" or something else in the reactos options you're asked for. IIRC it only boots up if you enter something there.
Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

Thank you for your hint. I tried it and the error didn't occure anymore. But now there was a different error, telling me that the system-Directory was not found.
But I've solved the problem. What I have made wrong was:

I have two harddisks. Both attached to IDE channel 1. Harddisk 1 as master, harddisk 2 as slave. Now I installed ReactOS on harddisk 2. When finishing setup it told me, that the bootloader cannot be installed on MBR and has to be installed onto floppy. I would have done this, but as I could see in this forum there is a bug in the driver making it impossible to access a floppy drive.
So I configured my BIOS to handle the device at the first master as not present, so the second harddisk would become the first one. But when now trying to boot from CD, the initialization just hung up when loading disk.sys . So I switched off and detached the first master. Now could start setup. I installed it onto harddisk as described above. When now trying to boot, there came up the error I have posted in the beginning. This was the initial reason for starting this thread.
Afterwards I tried it with installing it with a detached first drive and reattaching it after installation. I put the ROS-entry into grub. Now at least the bootloader started. But I couldn't start ROS. (2nd and 3rd post)
The reason therefore was that I had reattached the first drive and the different hardware configuration made it impossible for ROS to load itself. Now I have switched master and slave.I reconfigured grub and Linux and installed ROS onto the now first harddisk. I moved grub to the MBR of this new first harddisk and now everything works fine. I could start ROS for the first time... and I think I fell in love... :)
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

IMO this is something that needs to be resolved.
It seems to me that i cant even install ROS on a damn USB-Stick :-(
(Have not tryed yet!)
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.