Internet and Audio

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

trailboss

Internet and Audio

Post by trailboss »

hi,
I tried a older version before and I been waiting on 3.7 to try again, but I went an downloaded 3.6. I got it installed, but no internet or sound. DID I miss something? It's running nicely on everything thats installed, but with no internet, i'm stuck. I think this will be the most used OS behind windows. I still think it's a linux killer. Anyway, is it possible for me to fix, or shall I say, add the driver for my network card? if so how?
thanks
Trailboss
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Internet and Audio

Post by EmuandCo »

Sound is not supported officially. A while ago you were able to get Sound with a NT4 Driver, like the one for a Sound Blaster 16. If this still works,.... no idea. We made a Wiki Entry to explain what to do. http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... ound_cards Good luck and keep us updated.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
trailboss

Post by trailboss »

what about getting on the internet, threw ethernet?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We dont support dial up yet. use Ethernet to get to a router and you are set
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
trailboss

Post by trailboss »

thats my problem, It did not load the driver for my ethernet card. What do I do to get online? I know dialup is not supported yet.
thanks
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Try to supply Windows drivers for your Ethernet adapter in ROS.
trailboss

Post by trailboss »

so your saying get the windows drivers, for my audio and ethernet card and all drivers not loaded,,, and than I would have to put on cd or floppy and than try and install on ReactOS?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We do not have any sound stack in ROS at the moment, but you should try drivers for your ethernet card.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

trailboss wrote:so your saying get the windows drivers, for my audio and ethernet card and all drivers not loaded,,, and than I would have to put on cd or floppy and than try and install on ReactOS?
Yes. If the installer wont run, try going to device manager and installing using have disk...(look it up on google if you dont know how)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

There is no Have disk in Device manager yet. New device should be detected and prompted for drivers at boot, unless any of drivers provided with ROS works with it.
GerritJ9

Post by GerritJ9 »

I have exactly the same problem i.e. the internet connection is not working, although the driver for the LAN conection installed without problems using the motherboard's software CD, the 3Com 3C910 integrated fast ethernet controller shows up when "Network Properties" is opened and the OS reports it as working properly. Clicking on the "Properties" button when "Network Properties" is opened, however, results in a small window called "ncpa.cpl" with a white cross in a red circle and the text "error adapterinfo". Disconnecting the router makes no difference at all. Firefox 2.0 installs without a hitch, loads when started and tries to find the Mozilla page but fails, so the problem is not with Firefox.
The above applies to ReactOS 0.3.6 as well as more recent trunk builds.
CPU is an AMD Athlon XP2500+, MB Albatron KX600 Pro, 1.5 GB DDR-400 RAM, WD 40 GB HD (wiped with East-Tec Disksanit before installing ReactOS so no residual software from other OSs) and vid card is an nVidia FX6200- hardly the most modern system but W98, W2000 and XP have all run on it without any LAN connection probs so the driver is OK.
GerritJ9

Post by GerritJ9 »

Update on above: tried a few more recent trunk builds than 36719, the last to exhibit the same symptoms as described. With 36747, however, Reactos would run perfectly until the ethernet driver was installed- after rebooting, a blue screen would eventually appear after selecting "Reactos" in the boot manager; the Technical Information on the screen was:
*** STOP: 0x00000001E (0x80000003, 0x808A8D72, 0x9E2E44EC, 0x00000000)
When choosing "Reactos (debug)", the list of files (?) stopped at:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Reactos\System32\Drivers\TCPIP.sys.

Hope this helps, will now the latest test trunk build, 36751.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

GerritJ9, could you please provide debug log?
GerritJ9

Post by GerritJ9 »

36751 behaves as 36747 does, will now test 36752.

hto, re debug log, will have to get a serial cable first (and then try to understand the instructions); am running Reactos on a separate PC, not VMware or similar programme. Will try to generate a debug log.

I also have a CNet fast ethernet PCI card and will try this as well.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

No need to test every revision. There is no great difference between 36747 and 36752. Better contact people on IRC channel to coordinate efforts.