Ros 0.3.7 runs fine on an old Gericom Laptop

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

Ros 0.3.7 runs fine on an old Gericom Laptop

Post by wildschwein »

Hi Folks,

I tested Boot CD RoS 0.3.7 on my old Gericom Silver Seraph Laptop (my test Laptop), and it runs astonishly fine ! (But not the extern PS/2 Mouse, even if she runs fine under Windows. Build-in Touchpad and Keyboard works fine with Ros !)

Systemspecs: PIII, 600 Mhz, 128 MB Ram, PS2/Port for Mouse, USB 1.1

Ros started fine, its astonishly fast, insteed of testing when using QUEMU, on my Desktop PC.

I tryed to crash Ros, per playing around in the menus. It was not possible, even after half an hour intensiv "playing".
I found out, that Ros detected fine my C-Partition !

So I could easily start some programms. I have some "good, old" programms on this Laptop, because they are doing what I need, even if they are old.

First intensiv Test, was my Chess Client called "Win XBoard, Version 4.2.7".
This Application WORKED FINE ! No crash, tested intensivly all funktions in solo-Player Mode)

This is a good method to test Programms on REAL Hardware. I will go on, when i have more time on the Xmas Holidays.

My Idea is, to install all programms that i want to test on c_partition - convenient with Windows running.
And the Testing I will do with ROS. I know that this testing is only possible, if there all needed files in one directory - no .dll writen in system32 directory of Windows ---Ros would't find them.

But my opion, it is a great thing, if Ros would support some of the "good, old small Tools". This would be a first step in the possibilty to use Ros every day !

I ended my test, by trying to start the well known "Foxit Reader 2.3". ROS opened it, but the buttons were to big. I tryied to use a menu, but than Ros "froze".

Sorry for my bad english, hope you can understand it

Greetings from
Wildschwein
wildschwein

Re: Ros 0.3.7 runs fine on an old Gericom Laptop

Post by wildschwein »

I was so excited, that i continued my test. I putted some "good, old" Tools on Windows on C-Partition and booted again with ROS Boot CD 0.3.7

My Test:
mIRC 5.51 a good old IRC-Client worked FINE ! Sure I couldn't get a connection, but the menus looked like always, and I tryed to crash ROS but it was stable.

MP3TrimmPRO 1.60: It's a good old tool, to trimm the beginning or end of an MP3 File.
Completely worked fine. Even ROS can't play MP3s yet, it was possible, to trimm a test-mp3-file, and write it back to C-Partition ! Later back on windows I tried to play this trimmed file. WORKED ! Correct trimm result, like i do it so often with mp3s, that have no clean end.

CPUZ: A small tool to identify your Proz and some other details of your Computer. Programm started, but there was a message, that it could only work out not the whole result. Information about CPU where shown - correct. But the font size was too big ! Other Menupoints didn't work. But Program also didn't crash !

Some other Programms tried, but there was the message, that mfc.dll was not found.

Because of this GREAT Result, i will install ROS on this laptop in Christmas Holidays, and then do some more Test on REAL Hardware.

Please work on support of USB, this would make test more easier, because my mouse will hopefully work then.

Greetings
Wildschwein from the Black-Forrest
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Ros 0.3.7 runs fine on an old Gericom Laptop

Post by Z98 »

That's very promising, especially with the MP3 trimming.

As for mfc.dll, it's the Microsoft Foundation Classes DLL, which is a whole can of worms by themselves. For the short term, there likely won't be any attempt to clone it, though you can try copying that DLL into ROS and see if it works.