nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Driver install

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

doomy666999

nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Driver install

Post by doomy666999 »

I have just got ReactOS installed on my pc and i must say that i think it has great potential as a free alternative to the major operating systems such as windows, and i will recommend this OS to all whom i know.

i have managed to change the screen resolution, but i cannot install drivers for my GeForce FX 5500, i have inserted the CD, located the driver install program, and have clicked on it, however the drivers do not install, the computer does nothing.

is it not possible to use install programs and driver setup programs at the moment? or is there a workaround?

finally i would like to say that i wish to be of some use to the ReactOS team if possible, i have next to no programming knowledge, but if there is anythin else that i could do which would be of some assistance, i would be more than happy to help!
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

In fact you can install nvidia drivers in ReactOS. But you have to do it manually. Some info is on my outdated reactos fansite (but it may still work :) ) Look here: http://home.arcor.de/gasmann01/registry/nv4reg.html

I hope this can help you. IIRC you can also install win2k drivers.
doomy666999

Post by doomy666999 »

im still very much a n00b when it comes to this sort of thing, what do you mean when you say 'execute the following commands',

i have no idea when to execute those commands or how to go about it...could you be more specific?
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Sorry. I thought it would be obvious.
Execute means in this howto to
1.) open up a command prompt (e.g. start->run->cmd)
2.) enter c: to enter drive c: (or d: for d:, e: for e:,...)
3.) then, change into the directory. This can be done by the following way: enter cd \NVIDIA\41.60 the 41.60 is just an example because I don't know what driver you're going to install. just replace it by your directory. You may find it out simply by windows or reactos explorer.
4.) then enter the given commands.
doomy666999

Post by doomy666999 »

thanks for that, now im getting somewhere!

1 small prob, when i enter one of the commands i get a message saying:

"no destination specified for: [then the filename]"

what do i enter to solve this?
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Did you do this in Windows or in ReactOS? Because I don't know if it works under ReactOS yet... I only tested with Win2000/XP.
I can't really guess the reason why if you enter

Code: Select all

expand nv4_disp.dl_ nv4_disp.dll
where of course nv4_disp.dll is the destination, it says no destination specified... The only thing (just guessing) I could imagine is that you missed the space between nv4_disp.dl_ and nv4disp.dll :roll:
doomy666999

Post by doomy666999 »

yep i missed the space....lol only i could do something that pathetic lol :roll:

cheers!
gge

Post by gge »

It worked already for me but Ros support for nvidia driver is broken

See bug 882

Some explainations about my setup in real hardware

http://edou4ever.free.fr/gge/reactos/Gg ... S-page.htm
doomy666999

Post by doomy666999 »

when performing the final step of the driver update, i ran "regedit /s nv(resolution).reg" with the file on the cd still because i couldnt seem to copy the file onto the computer using the "copy" command, nothing seemed to happen so i went onto the cd and double clicked on the file, the computer then without warning turned itself off,

now when ever i boot up i get as far as selecting reactOS from the freeloader menu and i then hit a black screen, i can no longer get into reactOS,

any ideas as to why? any fixes? or am i just going to have to format my disk and reinstall reactOS?
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

doomy666999 wrote:when performing the final step of the driver update, i ran "regedit /s nv(resolution).reg" with the file on the cd still because i couldnt seem to copy the file onto the computer using the "copy" command, nothing seemed to happen so i went onto the cd and double clicked on the file, the computer then without warning turned itself off,

now when ever i boot up i get as far as selecting reactOS from the freeloader menu and i then hit a black screen, i can no longer get into reactOS,

any ideas as to why? any fixes? or am i just going to have to format my disk and reinstall reactOS?
Try taking out (or deleting) nv4_mini.sys from system32\drivers. So the nvidia-driver has to fail loading and so standard VESA driver will be loaded. It may give a warning on boot but it should boot up normally.
doomy666999

Post by doomy666999 »

i cant do that because i cannot boot to the desktop to remove the file...i think i'll just have to reformat and reinstall, then try it again :cry:
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Don't you have a bootdisc? Else, you can delete it with ReactOS livecd (via commandline, just enter

Code: Select all

c:
cd \ReactOS\system32\drivers
del nv4_mini.sys
This should work, too. Of course you can reinstall, maybe that's easier :)
doomy666999

Post by doomy666999 »

i just reinstalled....simpler for a n00b such as myself :wink: