Graphics driver development

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

DibyaXP

Graphics driver development

Post by DibyaXP »

I want to improve ReactOs gfx driver and make it XP/2k3 compatible.
I wish to gtx1060 on Ros.
So where to start?
learn_more
Developer

Re: Graphics driver development

Post by learn_more »

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

GTX 1060 on ros means being compatible to Vista + drivers. Not that easy to do. But feel free to try
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DibyaXP

Post by DibyaXP »

EmuandCo wrote:GTX 1060 on ros means being compatible to Vista + drivers. Not that easy to do. But feel free to try
I dont want the Windows nvidia driver . I want to write something of own
POrting WDDM Architecture to ROS pretty though
Ophelia1402

Post by Ophelia1402 »

I haven't been working on drivers prior to joining Imagination at all. I used to work on Volume ShadowCopy Service, user mode infrastructure component that's part of Windows. This however gave me all of the important skills when developing under windows: understanding of the platform and its APIs, familiarity with tools (build infrastructure, WinDbg, scripting), and so on. I also used to do some lame stuff on the demoscene* which gave me the necessary background in graphics programming.

The reality is that in the production environment you won't write code from scratch 99% of the time. I didn't have to figure out how UMD talks to KMD via DXGK, got here after people way smarter than me wrangled that. :) And since understanding well written code is much easier than writing one, the whole ordeal of context management and data passing was easier to grasp going through the existing codebase rather than trying to figure it out from the documentation and sample code.

On that note - have you considered looking at the VirtualBox code? This could be a good starting point and a great working environment at the same time. That said it's worth mentioning that working with existing code can make it hard for you to work on a competing product, so keep that in mind. Not a lawyer however, could be it's absolutely OK and NDA/GPL spoil are just some artifacts of my paranoid imagination. ;]
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

I think creating a gallium winsys driver is the way to go you would be able support multiple graphics cards already supported by MESA3D on Linux. It's already been proven this is technically possible since VMWARE has created a gallium winsys driver for windows sadly the driver it's self is closed source.