What are these terms?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

What are these terms?

Post by PurpleGurl »

What does DPH mean?
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Fox

Re: What are these terms?

Post by Black_Fox »

It's Debug Page Heap... Also it's what's VAT called in my country, but you probably don't care about that :-)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Black_Fox wrote:It's Debug Page Heap... Also it's what's VAT called in my country, but you probably don't care about that :-)
Thanks. I looked it up in various places, and found things like Department of Public Health. I asked in part since I am helping maintain the abbreviations list.

And we don't use the VAT system where I live, but sales tax instead. Ultimately, the net result is close to the same in that the end customer pays more for a product, though the initial burden and collection are different.

When I started the thread this was split from, I intended it to be an ongoing reference thread. Now it is broken and incomplete, and missing ALL the context needed to understand it. What can I say? Your house, your rules. If I don't like it, I can always start a fork, but that will never happen or I'd have learned C and C++ by now, and Windows internals. But I only know Quick Basic (compiler BASIC, not just QBasic which is the cut-down, interpreter-only version) and TASM. That was fun using TASM to directly call Quick Basic's internal APIs, even with static assembly code, like asking B$SASS for a temporary string, or B$SCAT (or is it B$SCONCAT?) to append strings. My point is that this is the only game in town and I currently lack the skills to start a competing project.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I saw "NFC" in a few ROS commit logs, e.g. here. What does that mean?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Black_Fox wrote:I saw "NFC" in a few ROS commit logs, e.g. here. What does that mean?
No functional changes
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I see! Thanks.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

What about GOP? I know they don't mean the Grand Old Party (US Republicans).

Wait, is it Graphics Output Protocol for UEFI? That would make sense in light of the recent commits.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

PurpleGurl wrote:What about GOP? I know they don't mean the Grand Old Party (US Republicans).

Wait, is it Graphics Output Protocol for UEFI? That would make sense in light of the recent commits.
It is.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

What about Bootmgfw?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl wrote:What about Bootmgfw?
Firmware boot manager.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

And exactly what does the firmware boot manager do? I've seen code about its memory manager and heap. Now will any of that code help the main memory manager any?
middings

Post by middings »

My poorly informed understanding is that the firmware boot manager has something to do with UEFI magic.

Both a firmware boot manager and ReactOS have something called memory management. They share a similar name but are built for very different purposes. I doubt that the two can share code or architecture.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

What is SRM?

Never mind. Storage Resource Management. Or in VMWare, it could be Site Recovery Manager.

Actually, in our case, it seems to mean: Security Reference Monitor.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I believe MCB means map control block. Maybe others can help my understanding, but from what little I could find in a search, that seems to be what caches the filesystem data about what is on the volume.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl wrote:I believe MCB means map control block. Maybe others can help my understanding, but from what little I could find in a search, that seems to be what caches the filesystem data about what is on the volume.
Yes this is that. Look at FsRtlInitializeLargeMcb in MSDN for example:
FsRtlInitializeLargeMcb initializes a map control block (MCB) structure. File systems use MCB structures to map virtual block numbers (VBN) for a file to the corresponding logical block numbers (LBN) on disk.