Browser

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrmajik45

Browser

Post by mrmajik45 »

Can I make a browser for ReactOS that will be included with the OS?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
learn_more
Developer

Re: Browser

Post by learn_more »

mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Thanks, I didn't see that in the idea list.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Here's a very early "but usable!" Version of the browser: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uto8m83dq0mk ... tVPCa?dl=0

Edit: Requires: Microsoft .NET 4
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

As long as it is nothing like Internet Explorer, it should be good. We don't need to bring that crap back into this world.

I still think it is better to just include Firefox or even just fork Firefox and make something out of that.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:As long as it is nothing like Internet Explorer, it should be good. We don't need to bring that crap back into this world.
Agreed. Internet explorer is the devil of internet browsers.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Just dropping a webbrowser control on a .net form is not 'creating a browser'
justincase

Post by justincase »

There's a few things that need to be said about this. Specifically...

A proper 'ReactOS browser', should:
  • Be buildable with the same toolchain as the rest of the ReactOS project
  • Have no requirements that are missing from a 'normal' ReactOS install
  • Provide the same API/ABI that Internet Explorer does/did, for the purpose of compatibility with software that depends on IE
Otherwise it's just a browser, not a ReactOS browser.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

don't make the same fail like MS, "integrate it like a chewing gum "
make it as "plugin" or "snapin" and give other the possible for create something too.
We have truly a beautiful browser-world which we can use :)
hold the browserwar out of Reactos.

maybe a snapin-possible like in ie4 where transform the window into a browser with
different snapin web engines .. (and not open an extra browser) if you klick on an url or a lnk,
from explorer to start the snapin and the surface forms to a browser (and open not extra a window)
like a surface from a Cadillac ;) where makes also possible to add other snapins in explorer too, like
de/compress programs or other.. like in totalcmd from Christian.
Some Plugin/Snapins could also handle in Rapps as explorer-plugin/snapins
like the thing in XP-Explorer, right sided... to have the possible for transforming the Shell/Explorer with plugins/snapins.
like something how 7z.dll ;) (copy in, register and have fun)

with something can hold at all really slim, also for Factory's as pure Workstation or
Serverstation too and the Owner of a Computer-station at home can modding his "Computer" with snap-ins
if it is possible and exist. With some snapin-dll it's possible to make Shell and Explorer really mighty
Or a CNC-Mashin who need only the/a clean System for run without bugs, as example too,
an Coffee mashin, what want you programming in a browser directly, if it is not need by a Coffee machine
or an refrigerator and a cash register, plasic bottles collectors in the Shops , what do you need a browser there..

as example, Hashtab for WinXP(reactos) from the factory implbits they known Reactos and let the WinXP-Version on the net. if you install Hashtab in Reactos be it only one dll in the Program folder and give you
in the Explorer file->right_mouse-> property an Tab with Hashtabs and a possible for check a sha1 or other file.
and something only with a dll in c:\Program Files\HashTab Shell Extension\
HashTab-picture-300x186

and something as Browserengine for the Explorer window in different formats, what the user want..
and in the Controlpanel (control.exe) an cpl where call the ControlPanel from the Browserengine (maybe also an dll)
who makes possible to configurate the Browserengine with his own plugins via his own Browser-spezific-Controlpanel of the Browser .

therewith it is also maybe possible to switch the browserengine too ?! ;)
And Reactos does not have to grapple with allegations / does not have to fight with blame

best regards
Blacky
justincase

Post by justincase »

Oh my gosh.
I'm actually starting to understand why the developers usually don't use the forum. You guys are ridiculous.

There is no point in creating a ReactOS browser that doesn't provide the interfaces Windows programs expect. If you just want a browser, install Firefox, Chrome, or any one of the plethora of other browsers out there.

If you want to make a browser for ReactOS, make one that will help the ReactOS project improve it's level of Windows application compatibility.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.