Trying the self compile, but takes forever

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Julcar
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by Julcar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 pm

I am testing the self-compiling on real hardware, as my ReactOS installation has no networking connection, I cloned the git repo on linux, and saved the source in E:\ReactOS\SRC, and installed RosBE in E:\RosBE

Running RosBE with E:\ReactOS\SRC as baseaddress, I execute the configure.cmd script, and here is where I can't go ahead, the script seems to hang after showing "Configuring done" in console and leaves Cmake.exe taking all of my cpu.

I tried leaving the laptop alone a couple of hours executing the configure.cmd but there is no result, in windows xp it takes about 30 minutes and then the output-MinGW-i386 folder is created, but in my case I cannot reach that step, maybe I am doing something wrong, give me a hand please.

cb88
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by cb88 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:03 am

I tried checking out the source in a VM.... the initial checkout worked but git errored out with EINVAIL I think it as every time after that so I could't do anything like switch branches or even checkout again,...

I suspect BTRFS may work better than FAT32 once it's ready.

binarymaster
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Russia, Moscow
Contact:

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by binarymaster » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 am

Julcar wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 pm
I tried leaving the laptop alone a couple of hours executing the configure.cmd but there is no result, in windows xp it takes about 30 minutes and then the output-MinGW-i386 folder is created, but in my case I cannot reach that step, maybe I am doing something wrong, give me a hand please.
Self-compile works, but requires more hours to complete.

Initial configuration takes around 6 hours on Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, and full build process takes around 10 hours.

Julcar
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by Julcar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:31 pm

I leave it 8 hours (then I go to bed) and still the cmake.exe process was taking 100% of cpu and the process was incomplete, I think this could be improved in performance

ThFabba
Developer
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by ThFabba » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am

Well yeah. People are saying it works. Nobody is saying it's performant or recommended ;)

By the way, if running configure.cmd in XP already takes 30 minutes for you, your machine is likely slower than most, meaning it will take even longer in ROS than the estimates given by others.

There should be some low-hanging fruit in terms of build performance though, perhaps some of them can be picked up during the Hackfest.

cb88
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by cb88 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).

Julcar
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by Julcar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm

cb88 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm
Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).
That was a question I'd like to do on another thread, why RoS does not support more than 1 core?

karlexceed
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by karlexceed » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:47 pm

Julcar wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm
why RoS does not support more than 1 core?
You should start a new thread for a new topic. But the essence of it is that it's much harder to debug anything that's parallelized. Race conditions, etc...

hbelusca
Developer
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by hbelusca » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Julcar wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm
cb88 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm
Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).
That was a question I'd like to do on another thread, why RoS does not support more than 1 core?
Why? Simply because NO competent person is here to complete what needs to be added in the kernel and in a HAL to support this.

Julcar
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by Julcar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:10 am

hbelusca wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:01 pm
Julcar wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm
cb88 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm
Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).
That was a question I'd like to do on another thread, why RoS does not support more than 1 core?
Why? Simply because NO competent person is here to complete what needs to be added in the kernel and in a HAL to support this.
I trust on the capabilities of the current devs, keep in mind that a multicore support would give to ReactOS a stronger feature, as in nowadays almost every cpu on the market hast at least 2 cores, that could be a great project for the community

ctasan
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by ctasan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:02 pm

We still have first priority issues before adding multicore support...

cb88
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by cb88 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 pm

I figure it's an issue that will solve itself as it gets stable enough for developers to actually run natively and develop/build reactos on.

Being self hosting means it's very close to that... I would think developing reactos, on reactos should be pretty attractive to it's developers.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sobhan and 1 guest