While running configure.sh for building ReactOS on AWS EC2, cmake kills all SSH connections

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

sorin_postelnicu

While running configure.sh for building ReactOS on AWS EC2, cmake kills all SSH connections

Post by sorin_postelnicu »

Hello everyone!

I launched a clean AWS Instance (of type Amazon Linux AMI which is based on RedHat), and I am trying to build ReactOS by using the normal steps described in the documentation. I have already installed all the required development dependencies with "yum install".

I downloaded the "ReactOS Build Environment" and configured it correctly, then I did a "git checkout reactos".
Then, after running "./RosBE.sh", I tried to execute ./configure.sh from within the "reactos" source folder.

But, after displaying a number of successful configuration detections, the SSH connection is forcibly closed.

This is what is displayed in my console:

Code: Select all

bash-4.2$ ./configure.sh 
Creating directories in output-MinGW-i386
Preparing reactos...
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.7.2
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.7.2
-- Check for working C compiler using: Ninja
-- Check for working C compiler using: Ninja -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Ninja
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Ninja -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Found Git: /usr/bin/git (found version "2.14.5") 
-- Build Type: Debug
-- The ASM compiler identification is GNU
-- Found assembler: /work/rosbe2.1.2/i386/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-gcc
-- Selected localization: all
-- fusion has no base address
-- fusion_1_1 has no base address
-- fusion_2_0 has no base address
-- xolehlp has no base address
-- Configuring done
Connection to "xx.yy.zz.tt" closed by remote host.

So the ReactOS script displays "Preparing reactos..." but then never gets to the point to display "Configure script complete! Enter directories and execute appropriate build commands".

Basically this means that something happens inside the cmake call, which causes the AWS host to forcible close the connection.

And, to make things even weirder, I have also discovered another thing (while trying to trace the list of running processes from another ssh connection to the same host): The bug forces the closing of BOTH ssh connections (not only the one in which I was running "configure", but also the other ssh connection which was unrelated! )

Do you have any explanation as to what kind of bug (maybe inside CMake) is causing the amazon node to kill all ssh connections?
binarymaster

Re: While running configure.sh for building ReactOS on AWS EC2, cmake kills all SSH connections

Post by binarymaster »

How much RAM on your AWS instance? CMake configure step may take up to 2 GB of free RAM.
sorin_postelnicu

Re: While running configure.sh for building ReactOS on AWS EC2, cmake kills all SSH connections

Post by sorin_postelnicu »

Thank you for your response, @binarymaster.
Indeed, I have started to suspect this after finding this StackExchange answer:
https://serverfault.com/questions/71874 ... 070#876070

This behaviour of sshd is really stupid... :(
(I mean, how can someone expect that the SSH connection was reset because of out-of-memory...)

Yes, my instance had only 1GB of RAM, so this was causing the ssh crash. I have tried it again today on another instance with 4GB of RAM and it was executed successfully.

Thanks again!