image viewer

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

RomanH
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Switzerland

image viewer

Post by RomanH » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:05 am

Hi all

I've got a real noob question. Since I'm still using Windows 2000 and therefore don't have an "image viewer" (like XP has) I plan to write one myself. I guess this would be a useful programm for ReactOS, too. (I'm not implying that I expect anything I come up with to necessarily become an official part of ReactOS)

In a first step, I want to create something to show BMPs, PNGs, JPEGs and maybe GIFs in a window and as a fullscreen slideshow. Nothing fancy. I have some C/C++ experience but have never done anything with the WinAPI. I have only worked with SDL in the past. I could write it using SDL and SDL_image, but I would like to write a "pure" WinAPI program. So far I only understand how to create a window and paint a BMP.

So, here's my question: Does ReactOS already have something like GDI+? Or is there any any other library that I could call, that is already implemented in ReactOS? Any other, general keywords I should google to get me started with this little project?

thanks a lot!

Roman

EDIT: I did some "research" myself and found two interesting libraries I will check out.
http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/
http://openil.sourceforge.net/
RomanH

geertvdijk
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 am

Re: image viewer

Post by geertvdijk » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

RomanH wrote:Hi all

I've got a real noob question. Since I'm still using Windows 2000 and therefore don't have an "image viewer" (like XP has) I plan to write one myself. I guess this would be a useful programm for ReactOS, too. (I'm not implying that I expect anything I come up with to necessarily become an official part of ReactOS)

In a first step, I want to create something to show BMPs, PNGs, JPEGs and maybe GIFs in a window and as a fullscreen slideshow. Nothing fancy. I have some C/C++ experience but have never done anything with the WinAPI. I have only worked with SDL in the past. I could write it using SDL and SDL_image, but I would like to write a "pure" WinAPI program. So far I only understand how to create a window and paint a BMP.

So, here's my question: Does ReactOS already have something like GDI+? Or is there any any other library that I could call, that is already implemented in ReactOS? Any other, general keywords I should google to get me started with this little project?

thanks a lot!

Roman

EDIT: I did some "research" myself and found two interesting libraries I will check out.
http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/
http://openil.sourceforge.net/
I think ReactOS does, not sure though...
However, if you write your software for Win2k/XP it should work on ROS (sooner or later), and if it doesn't work directly, just mention it inhere, devs will have answers for you and/or make it work (if some API isn't correctly implemented)...
Good luck :)

EDIT: Photofiltre, Photoshop (3.0 or something) PSP 4, and IrfanView work in ROS, so some image APIs are there I guess ^^
-graey-

.aart3k
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:21 am

Post by .aart3k » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:01 pm

he asks for GDI, built in rendering engine, that windowses < Vista are relying on

there some stubs for GDI+, but theres no implementation at all afaik

RomanH
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by RomanH » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:05 am

Hi!

thanks for trying to help. I asked for GDI because I didn't really know, what I was looking for and I had some vague idea what GDI+ is supposed to do.

However, in the meantime I have experimented with the FreeImage library (GPLed) a little and had some first successes. I'm now able to display tons of different formats in a window. (haven't tried it on ReactOS yet, though)

Image

I'll keep on working on it and let you know if there are any significant breakthroughs. :-)
RomanH

dreams
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:23 am
Location: Holland
Contact:

Post by dreams » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:39 am

If its a windows image viewer clone, and it's GPL, it's very usefull for ReactOS. Looks nice so far!

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Post by Z98 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:36 am

The devs require that programs and utilities be win32 applications. They'll accept limited C++ programs, but not if it depends on some library not part of the default NT system. Just something to keep in mind.

Atari
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Post by Atari » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 am

RomanH wrote:Hi!

thanks for trying to help. I asked for GDI because I didn't really know, what I was looking for and I had some vague idea what GDI+ is supposed to do.

However, in the meantime I have experimented with the FreeImage library (GPLed) a little and had some first successes. I'm now able to display tons of different formats in a window. (haven't tried it on ReactOS yet, though)

I'll keep on working on it and let you know if there are any significant breakthroughs. :-)
well, you can load and display BMP, GIF, and JPG images using win32 COM functionality (OleLoadPicturePath). However, I doubt that code for this has been done in Reactos as of yet (not exactly high priority). example code in c can be found here: http://www.codeproject.com/bitmap/the_b ... lain_c.asp

Personally I'd like it if the devs extended the LoadImage call to handle other image files than bmp, it would be transparent to the user since it simply returns a handle to a BITMAP when done. Sure is alot nicer to work with than the COM interface (especially from c). also, if you want to work with gdi+ from a c environment, there is a flat api description here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533969.aspx

that said, I doubt that gdi+ will be reimplemented by Reactos anytime soon, there's so much more important stuff to work on.

RomanH
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by RomanH » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:51 am

Z98 wrote:The devs require that programs and utilities be win32 applications. They'll accept limited C++ programs, but not if it depends on some library not part of the default NT system. Just something to keep in mind.
That's what I assume as well. However, since I primarily want do make this picture viewer for personal use, I will continue with using FreeImage. If at some point the program is usefull enough for ReactOS, one can "simply" change the image loading part of the program.
RomanH

hto
Developer
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Post by hto » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 am


forart
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: image viewer

Post by forart » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:35 am

RomanH wrote:EDIT: I did some "research" myself and found two interesting libraries I will check out.
http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/
http://openil.sourceforge.net/
Why don't you add them to the OSS port wishlist ? :wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

RomanH
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: image viewer

Post by RomanH » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:02 am

forart wrote: Why don't you add them to the OSS port wishlist ? :wink:
'cause they already are Windows libraries? :-)

BTW: I'll post a first version of the viewer soon.
RomanH

RomanH
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by RomanH » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi there

I've uploaded an early version of my image viewer. Tried it on the 0.3 release of ReactOS and it didn't work. :(

Nevertheless, here's the link if you want to try it:
http://www.romanhoegg.ch/iv_main.htm

It doesn't do much yet, but it's already quite handy if you don't have any other picture viewer. (more features will follow)

RomanH
RomanH

forart
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by forart » Fri May 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Uuuuhhh-HO ! Nice finding:
What's OpenImageManager wrote:OpenImageManager, the new Opensource Acdsee written in C#.
It's based on the idea of the very popular image viewer ACDSee(TM), includes Thumbnails feature, HTML Album Generator and more...
:shock:
Image
more shots...


SF project page
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Haos
Test Team
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 am
Contact:

Post by Haos » Sat May 19, 2007 4:36 am

Nothing`s better on Windows than Irfanview...

forart
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by forart » Sat May 19, 2007 8:40 am

Haos wrote:Nothing`s better on Windows than Irfanview...
...but is not open (and sincerly XnView is ways better for me).
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest