Compiling ReactOS with Branches

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

naums

Compiling ReactOS with Branches

Post by naums »

Hey there.

I was just recently looking into the svn of ReactOS and I sighted something that sounded USB-like. Is there a way to get the branches into ReactOS and compile ROS with the USB-thingy? If yes: how can I compile these branches with ReactOS?

MfG Naums
Haos
Test Team

Re: Compiling ReactOS with Branches

Post by Haos »

Just like trunk, you checkout them and build.
naums

Post by naums »

Okay. I've now seen that, but is this the current revision of the trunk or do they use an older one? Can I just copy 'n' paste the new USB-Files over? No... it doesn't compile them, right?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

naums wrote:Okay. I've now seen that, but is this the current revision of the trunk or do they use an older one? Can I just copy 'n' paste the new USB-Files over? No... it doesn't compile them, right?
Naums, the way a branch works:

-Lets imagine we have the main trunk in revisiom 50.000
-A dev creates a new branch. That branch has the same files as 50.000.
-Since that moment the patches in trunk doesn't go directly to that new branch. If the branch-dev wants those commits added to his branch, then he will need to "push them" to his branch.So he selects which commits (if any) from trunk, he wants.

So imagine it as a Tree. You have the Trunk, and the branches can begin in any point(revision) of the Trunk and follow a parallel/completly different development. Usually the new code in the branch,when mature enough, is sent back to the trunk and the branch is cut ;)
A branch is, btw, a full copy of the Trunk revision in that moment.It means that it is full compilable.
Hope that mental image can help you to understand that no, you can no mix(usually) files from one to the other.Or not unless you really know what are you doing or what is the dev trying to achieve.I.e: the USB branch expects the existence of an USB driver, while our current trunk has it totally removed. So adding the USB driver to the trunk is not "enough". In simple words :)
naums

Post by naums »

I've just read from some guy in IRC that the USB driver will just work in Windows, but not in ReactOS so they are pretty useless to me now. I thought I coult just build them, burn 'em to CD and off I go but that ain't how it works. This guy told me that the developer replace some files of Windows with the usb-driver Stuff of their work. --> ergo: pretty useless to me. But I hope they'll become useful some day. :)

thanks vicmarcal.

MfG Naums