My two cents on priorities

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xkiter

My two cents on priorities

Post by xkiter »

I would like to leave here an opinion on the priorities of development of ReactOS at this stage... having seen it slooowly developing along the years, while Linux and Android rocketed. I still believe ReactOS can have a great future and something will ignite its growth...

Having said that, I don't think growth will come primarily from end users using it like Linux user do. I believe that if some vertical markets that use a limited set of functions could adopt it, they could essentially fund further development and thus ignite its growth, much like the "server" Linux part has funded the rest of the development.

In my opinion uses like Point Of Sales systems, Digital Signage, NAS, Easy Routing, and all single function devices.

Specifically for POS, if USB Printing and USB HID functions work, maybe it could be stable enough to be a platform for the millions of POS systems sold every year. Many distributors of POS would eagerly start using ReactOS and contributing to its development. Same for other vertical markets.

I would love to see NTFS support, better soon than later, but recognize, IMHO, that support for vertical market solutions functionality would best serve the interests of growth of ReactOS. Or, as already someone said, if governments "anti-MS" would fund ReactOS development, things could go so much faster... some come to mind (friends of Assange :D ), but this is going off to a "dangerous" off topic...
jonaspm

Re: My two cents on priorities

Post by jonaspm »

well, Android is based on Linux kernel but ANYWAY! im not gonna ruin your message. :)

You are right! ReactOS needs to satisfy the needs of some companies, devices or governments if we want their support.

I think that right now, the development roadmap should be focused on being stable enough for doing the job of a server:

-Correctly boot operating system

-Functional CMD

-Network support (IPv4, IPv6), Ethernet, WiFi (WPA)

-Drivers support

-GUI, User Accounts

P.S.
this is just an opinion, i am not requesting anything so don't feel i am demanding anything :D
oldman

Post by oldman »

xkiter, did you read this:
https://sourceforge.net/blog/potm-201306/.

The last answer at the bottom you should find interesting.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

You mean:
If all goes well, it’s going to be announced within a week.
Well... that was on 3rd June, we have 2nd July, and I think that it is safe to say, we should not exactly wait for this any longer.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

1. get the memory manager and CC stable in order to use the OS without crashing. (? - maybe 0.4)
2. Also fix(?)/make generic drivers in order to get the OS to boot on real hardware and other related bugs. (? - important but it looks like it's not a priority ?)
3. USB support (mice, keyboard, usb storage) - already done only bug fixes shuld be working till 0.4
4. Print support - (ReactOS 0.5)

Application support will come with wine been developed and individual fixes.

not a priority but very important:
- explorer_new (ReactOS 0.4 - soon ?)
- NTFS read support ( ReactOS 0.5)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

jonaspm wrote: I think that right now, the development roadmap should be focused on being stable enough for doing the job of a server:
I don't think ReactOS will ever run on servers (aside from experiments some people might do), mostly because that niche is already in good shape. No company would spend the amount of money needed to get ReactOS to do what they are already able to do with Linux, and for replacing Windows servers you probably need a similar set of features as Windows (which means ReactOS should be feature-complete first). Points of sale makes a lot more sense, IMO. The same for migrating from Windows in public administration. There is something to win, there.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

mrugiero wrote:
jonaspm wrote: I think that right now, the development roadmap should be focused on being stable enough for doing the job of a server:
I don't think ReactOS will ever run on servers (aside from experiments some people might do), mostly because that niche is already in good shape. No company would spend the amount of money needed to get ReactOS to do what they are already able to do with Linux, and for replacing Windows servers you probably need a similar set of features as Windows (which means ReactOS should be feature-complete first). Points of sale makes a lot more sense, IMO. The same for migrating from Windows in public administration. There is something to win, there.
maybe but it would be cool to run c# console applications on a server in the .net runtime(not mono !)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

cruonit wrote:
mrugiero wrote:
maybe but it would be cool to run c# console applications on a server in the .net runtime(not mono !)
Then again, as I said, you probably need rather good compatibility before you achieve that. I think I didn't expressed my idea correctly in the previous post, but my point was more as a way to get funding from it before it's actually feature complete (because it wouldn't probably compete with Windows yet, and if costs were enough incentive to abandon Windows for them, they'd probably did to Linux a lot of time ago). The "ever" thing was obviously exaggerated, in retrospect.

As for .net runtime, I don't know, maybe (again, I have no idea, but I think one could expect that) the license doesn't allow you to run it outside of MS Windows.

Of course, after a basically compatible version goes out, servers could become a real target (specially because of .net and probably the desktop remoting capabilities) and a source of funding.
janl

Post by janl »

As for funding. It is pity, that money in Germany are frozen. Developers have to pay their bills, ...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

janl wrote:As for funding. It is pity, that money in Germany are frozen. Developers have to pay their bills, ...
That hasn't been true for two months now.
janl

Post by janl »

Does it mean, it is possible create new contracts with developers? It would help Reactos. In Germany's fund is about 15 000 euro available.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We know very well, how much money is there, even cent for cent.

And yes, it is possible.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Just impossible not due to licensing but due to lack of public documentation of complete C# API(besides CLR).
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Mono is very powerful already and quite complete. But yeah, .net might run in the future, but not very legal according to the license i fear
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

We can fork Mono and name it ROS.org MF-OSP(Managed Frameworks-Open Source Platform).
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2