Edit clon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Edit clon

Post by manuel »

Hi:

I found this website, a clone of the "edit" program coming to windows xp can be downloaded from here, apparently is part of the Free DOS project . I tried it and works very well on windows 7 (with some errors) and suggest to integrate into reactos because it does not have the program edit http://sourceforge.net/projects/fdeditw ... rce=navbar greetings.
roytam

Re: Edit clon

Post by roytam »

manuel

Post by manuel »

and that happened with it?, will resume one day?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

manuel wrote:and that happened with it?, will resume one day?
What is the point when Windows has Notepad and Wordpad? I guess it would be good to use with NTVDM in case of trouble, or perhaps for editing source code (the DOS EDIT could be set up to edit binaries too, and I've done that a time or two, not the best for patching, but it works).
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

PurpleGurl wrote:
manuel wrote:and that happened with it?, will resume one day?
What is the point when Windows has Notepad and Wordpad? I guess it would be good to use with NTVDM in case of trouble, or perhaps for editing source code (the DOS EDIT could be set up to edit binaries too, and I've done that a time or two, not the best for patching, but it works).
In the case you boot to text only mode you can change some config files etc.
I think it is a good idea to include such tools for emergency boots.

Another case would be when ReactOS can be used as Server system. who needs a GUI?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

gonzoMD wrote:In the case you boot to text only mode you can change some config files etc.
I think it is a good idea to include such tools for emergency boots.

Another case would be when ReactOS can be used as Server system. who needs a GUI?
That's why I mentioned NTVDM. You are right, there have been a number of times I wished I had access to tools while trying to fix an XP installation.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Have you reported such "some errors"? Can you give any details about them?
manuel

Post by manuel »

mrugiero wrote:Have you reported such "some errors"? Can you give any details about them?
Hi!, yes, when this app is called with parameters, by example edit d:test.txt open edit with test.txt file, but this file is incorrect (open old version from file), but, when is called as edit d:\test.txt then the file is open correctly.
The bug was reported by me at the developed (by mail), but no new version has released :(
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

manuel wrote:
mrugiero wrote:Have you reported such "some errors"? Can you give any details about them?
Hi!, yes, when this app is called with parameters, by example edit d:test.txt open edit with test.txt file, but this file is incorrect (open old version from file), but, when is called as edit d:\test.txt then the file is open correctly.
The bug was reported by me at the developed (by mail), but no new version has released :(
What edit d:test.txt and edit d:\test.txt should be doing? Is that a path? How does it behave in the original one? I might try to fix the bug (although you'll probably have to wait until January, as I'm in finals season in college until then).
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

mrugiero wrote:What edit d:test.txt and edit d:\test.txt should be doing? Is that a path? How does it behave in the original one? I might try to fix the bug (although you'll probably have to wait until January, as I'm in finals season in college until then).
d:test.txt refers to the file test.txt on the current directory of drive d: (works only in a shell that keeps track of the different current directories of drives (like cmd)) while d:\test.txt refers to the file test.txt inside the root directory of drive d:. See also here.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
manuel

Post by manuel »

but, d:test.txt and d:\test.txt are differents files or in DOS mode are equals?, by this reason i think that edit clon (free dos) have a bug.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

manuel wrote:but, d:test.txt and d:\test.txt are differents files or in DOS mode are equals?, by this reason i think that edit clon (free dos) have a bug.
This sounds more like a missing functionality than a bug. I'll check on that later.