Re: Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

Capuchin Monkey Mascot for ReactOS?

Post by tomleem »

I think the capuchin monkey might be a candidate for the ROS mascot. It is cute and small. 8-)
[ external image ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey
[ external image ]
http://www.amazon.com/Hansa-Capuchin-Mo ... B005MNRMY2
8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
milon

Post by milon »

A lot of the mascot ideas here are trying to promote ReactOS as being small/fast. That may currently be the case, and it may even continue (to some degree). But that's not the core of what ReactOS is. Everyone here has good ideas, but it kind of goes to waste if the efforts are in the wrong direction. What happens when ReactOS is much more developed and does a lot more, and someone tries to run it on old hardware? It won't be "small" or "fast" to that person.

Our mascot should match our marketing which should match our overall goal. I suggest everyone revisit the ReactOS home page and read the first two paragraphs. Let's at least give Z98 a harder time dismissing mascot ideas. ;)

EDIT - I'm not commenting on the quality of mascot ideas presented so far. Just that they need to better match our goals. For example, the capuchin monkey may be small and fast, but maybe it also has other characteristics that would make it a good mascot candidate.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Until someone can provide a coherent argument for why a mascot is necessary, I'm not going to have any real difficulty dismissing ideas.
milon

Post by milon »

That's true. But having a mascot that's in line with the project's goals is a positive step, whether or not one gets adopted in the end.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well... BSD's Beastie was a nice eye catcher @ CLT 2013 ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fred02

Post by fred02 »

EmuandCo wrote:Well... BSD's Beastie was a nice eye catcher @ CLT 2013 ^^
You mean this one? :mrgreen:
milon wrote:That's true. But having a mascot that's in line with the project's goals is a positive step, whether or not one gets adopted in the end.
Ditto.
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

DOSGuy wrote:As for why a mascot would be beneficial to the project at this point[...]
Wow one of the few 'long' posts that was actually catching to read! Almost like an eye opener.

I must say this thread is getting a lot of attention on this forum! 12,127 views and not even a sticky!

I also think the Logo is unique and function as a good formal identification. But it would seem "the community" wants a mascot and that is the final verdict!

This is also my answer to Z98's question! Why do we need a mascot? Because the community is "demanding" one! And you don't want to get on their bad side! They can ruin little girls lives on youtube, flashmob like crazy and hack anything they can SSH into :P

And I believe the community will just grow stronger. Who wouldn't want to join an "Open Source Windows Alternative"? This is the only thing on a lot of FOSS supporter's PCs, that they just can't replace without leaving years of experience at the door!

Hey but imagine Z98 didn't resist the mascot? Would it have gotten so much attention? There's nothing that people want more, than the things they can't get! The harder the fight, the sweeter the victory!

So Z98 keep on dishing those short resistant messages! You are building a very strong army for the project a.k.a. very good PR.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

It seems like we should put more effort into learning Win32 internals than fighting for a mascot. If we all put that much energy into coding, we'd have it finished before 2015.
ReactFan

Post by ReactFan »

It seems to me that you point it is not a good idea, now we should focus on obtaining new people familiar with a programming with the knowledge of the structure of the NT and the introduction of a number of necessary amendments to the system has become more stable. Therefore, there is a need for wider publicity of what has already been achieved. A good solution was financially rewarding current programmers what instantaneous is suspended and i do not know whether there are plans to get back to that. Only then you can think about such things as Mascot for ReactOS
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

PurpleGurl wrote:It seems like we should put more effort into learning Win32 internals than fighting for a mascot. If we all put that much energy into coding, we'd have it finished before 2015.
Yep. If all participants in this 7-page topic (and other topics) used the time to small overtime at work instead of creating the walls of text and donated the resulting money to ROS, I think devs would be happier.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

ReactFan wrote:[...]A good solution was financially rewarding current programmers what instantaneous is suspended and i do not know whether there are plans to get back to that.[...]
Giannis is currently payed (he's working on the shell)...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Black_Fox wrote:Yep. If all participants in this 7-page topic (and other topics) used the time to small overtime at work instead of creating the walls of text and donated the resulting money to ROS, I think devs would be happier.
Or about any other endeavor. Maybe scouting for more skilled developers or talking up the project away from here. Or learning C and Windows internals, etc. But if none of those are someone's talents, then yes, they should apply their talents to non-ReactOS stuff and make money to donate.

If others still want a mascot, then make one, at least a prototype, and try to reasonably explain the rationale and reasons. I mean really do the research, come up with original work, etc. If you want to persuade, you have to do your homework in advance, or you will be seen as wasting everyone's time. We all know the idioms and figures of speech related to this, such as "talk is cheap," or the rude one, "Money talks and [nonsense] walks." There are other sayings, like, "Too many chiefs and not enough [tribe members]." (That is the problem children wanting to imitate tribal peoples for fun run into - everyone wants to lead the tribe, and nobody wants to be just members.) Or to make it more relevant to us, "Too many offering suggestions, and not enough coders."
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:Yep. If all participants in this 7-page topic (and other topics) used the time to small overtime at work instead of creating the walls of text and donated the resulting money to ROS, I think devs would be happier.
Or about any other endeavor. Maybe scouting for more skilled developers or talking up the project away from here. Or learning C and Windows internals, etc. But if none of those are someone's talents, then yes, they should apply their talents to non-ReactOS stuff and make money to donate.

If others still want a mascot, then make one, at least a prototype, and try to reasonably explain the rationale and reasons. I mean really do the research, come up with original work, etc. If you want to persuade, you have to do your homework in advance, or you will be seen as wasting everyone's time. We all know the idioms and figures of speech related to this, such as "talk is cheap," or the rude one, "Money talks and [nonsense] walks." There are other sayings, like, "Too many chiefs and not enough [tribe members]." (That is the problem children wanting to imitate tribal peoples for fun run into - everyone wants to lead the tribe, and nobody wants to be just members.) Or to make it more relevant to us, "Too many offering suggestions, and not enough coders."

While I agree overall to the sentiment, and certainly that people addressing the mascot-thingy should research if it's free/available, and maybe get an actual (IP free) example and all that...we can't expect everyone to be codes, nor that 'just do overtime and give us the money' is an interesting replacement for everyone to engage in. First of all, nobody is saying people here don't already donate, and secondly, it's a matter of degree. After all, one can ALWAYS do more. One could as well say: well, devs, start coding 2 hours a day more, without any pay, even if you have to offer up more of your free (family?)time.

That would probably help ROS too.

But it's clear it doesn't work that way, and people do best what they like best, and just asking for people that are users and come to the forum to do overtime and send the money to ROS isn't really going to work, or at least, not going to amount to much. (I think we all know that). It's nice to EXPECT people would do overtime and donate their money, or to put all their talents into ROS, or to start learning C and windows internals - but none, or only a minority will ever do. that's a fact of life, and just as with communism one can wish for an ideal world, but it will never materialise, because humans aren't ideal.

I, for one, would already be happy if one of the forum-users who promote the mascot actually did the things you suggested: did their homework in research, made (or let it made) a mascot, etc. I'm with you and z98 that I don't hold my breath for it: ultimately, while one can talk hours about it, you need someone who actually puts his/her shoulders under it, if you want it to amount to anything. I'm not sure it will happen with (the current people of) this particular thread. That said, there is no hurt in just talking about it neither; maybe some good idea might pop up, maybe many months later an artists finds this thread and actually makes something, etc. A forum is for posting/talking, after all. And you never know what may come of it (without being overly optimistic and wearing rosy sunglasses, of course).
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Z98 wrote:Again, how is any of this not already achievable with the existing logo?
The logo isn't cute and cuddly (actually, I've never cared for it) and doesn't seem to have much potential as a plushie. I'm not sure that I could attempt a meme with a talking atom extolling the virtues of ReactOS, but a talking animal might work (animals have mouths). I also don't think that ROS has to be limited to one identifiable symbol. In Canada, one of our three major telecom companies is known for their advertisements featuring a veritable Noah's Ark of cute and exotic animals. It's probably best for us to stay focused, but I don't see why we can't have a logo and a mascot.

Anyway, we're just trying to help. Most of us don't have the time to learn enough about Win32 to lend a hand with the coding, so we're trying to come up with other ideas that may or may not help, most of which are unlikely to harm the cause.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

DOSGuy wrote:The logo isn't cute and cuddly (actually, I've never cared for it) and doesn't seem to have much potential as a plushie. I'm not sure that I could attempt a meme with a talking atom extolling the virtues of ReactOS
May be it can. There seem to be a Russian fairy tale about a round talking bread (think it sings actually). May be Aleksey have this idea in mind.
DOSGuy wrote:Anyway, we're just trying to help. Most of us don't have the time to learn enough about Win32 to lend a hand with the coding, so we're trying to come up with other ideas that may or may not help, most of which are unlikely to harm the cause.
Totally agree with you.