► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Blue

Re: ► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by Blue »

hbelusca & justincase.

I did not know if that was the goal of the wiki pages. So I was pointing it out.
I really did not put much thought behind I posted it upon here.

> Random wiki page (Link Removal).

Final thoughts:
Maybe we should think of more ways to improve upon it if we wish to keep it around for functionality reasons. Still going to random pages, but at the top maybe give us options once we hit that random page of what type of random pages we wish to visit next.

I don't know just a thought.
Blue.

Thanks for your thoughts over the topic!
Blue

Post by Blue »

Please Change Wiki welcome page that has "Nightly Builds" to the correct name: "Daily Builds".
~ This can be confusing to others & it still redirecting to http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds when you enter this area anyways but giving more information in a wiki page that I've edited and made look very nice! :D

See :lol:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/RosBuild

I kind of understand why its night and day. Day is main page and Night is wiki page...
~ I just feel it should still match if its about the same topic to make the website easier to navigate .
Blue

Post by Blue »

Since "Zehnvor" deletes my Wiki updates I'll just post this over here!
- Told not use these icons in front of headings - "they make the page look less seriously."
- Told I can not make "external links, others are allowed on the page."
- Told look at the wiki rules but we have no rules listing under the navigation side menu.

Any page that is official should look official & not have missing information & be very detailed and not in the 60s style & should also be as they are the main entering of the wiki pages! (Even wiki pages can be locked). This is a very good example why we need official wiki pages if they are going to use them for a public domain & should be locked from public editing in entirely. As this way it will protect privacy from un-authored external link changes.
.......................................................................................................

< MOVE TO PAGE 2 its just my wiki update: for nightly builds.
Last edited by Blue on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@Blue: You can discuss about your changes with Zehnvor / Z98 and so on, on #reactos-web.
justincase

Post by justincase »

@Blue: If you are unfamiliar with IRC, you can connect to #reactos-web via the official freenode webchat at http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#reactos-web
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Blue

Post by Blue »

In regards:
I did talk to Zehnvor. I quoted what Zehnvor's said at top. Allot of the stances in the articles are missing words that now undone that was fixed making whole stances. Many of the main wiki articles are missing full stances. That is being seen as unneeded & the wording is not been refined for better quality...

Next topic:
The wiki welcome page. It does not have the "Test Build Server" in the wiki welcome page listing and all the information is under. "Nightly Builds". I feels it should be a total information page and not a random page to stuff information on it but a information linking page.

I did not know about chat channels.
Thanks.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The wiki is principally used as a repository for technical documentation on NT internals, meaning it is primarily a developer resource and secondarily a tester resource. That there are pages that the community at large finds useful or are able to edit is due to convenience. However, for pages discussing technical topics, you should not be touching them unless you are well versed in the subject matter, not for grammar and especially not for cosmetic changes. Therefore, do NOT go around editing pages at random because you think something would look better a different way, that's only going to cause the developers who use the data headaches. If you think there are improvements that can be made, you need to clear them with the web maintainers for generic changes and with the subject authors for technical documentation.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:The wiki is principally used as a repository for technical documentation on NT internals, meaning it is primarily a developer resource and secondarily a tester resource. That there are pages that the community at large finds useful or are able to edit is due to convenience. However, for pages discussing technical topics, you should not be touching them unless you are well versed in the subject matter, not for grammar and especially not for cosmetic changes. Therefore, do NOT go around editing pages at random because you think something would look better a different way, that's only going to cause the developers who use the data headaches. If you think there are improvements that can be made, you need to clear them with the web maintainers for generic changes and with the subject authors for technical documentation.
Well, actually, corrections on grammar or spelling is exactly one of the few things somebody without extensive knowledge of the IT-technical side of the issue *could* do, imho. For the rest I largely agree.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Z98 wrote: ... you should not be touching them [wiki pages discussing technical topics] unless you are well versed in the subject matter, not for grammar and especially not for cosmetic changes. ...
Webunny wrote:Well, actually, corrections on grammar or spelling is exactly one of the few things somebody without extensive knowledge of the IT-technical side of the issue *could* do, imho. For the rest I largely agree.
If someone is to make grammatical and/or spelling corrections to wiki pages on "technical topics", they need to be well versed enough on both the English language, and the subject matter to be certain that their changes do not alter the meaning unnecessarily.
A number of Blue's changes were incorrect, some because they were grammatically correct before, and not after, others because they gave a different meaning after Blue had changed them.

As an example:
Before Blue's edits: "Currently it hosts multiple builders, albeit only the one building ReactOS Trunk in debug mode is attached to scheduler and triggered automatically. Others need to be triggered by hand when needed." states that there are multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa, and that only one of them, specifically the one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode, gets triggered to build automatically, the rest of the builders on it being unattached to any such system, and thus requiring manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.
After Blue's edits: "Currently it hosts multiple builders, albeit this is the only one building Trunk in debug mode an attached to a scheduler that is triggered automatically. Unlike Others that need to be triggered by hand." indicates that Buildslave Warszawa, host of multiple builders, is the only buildslave which both builds from Trunk in debug mode and gets triggered to build automatically, and that the other buildslaves are not attached to such a system, and thus require manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.

These are pretty major differences in meaning, and Blue's version is wrong in multiple ways.
This is only one example of several I noticed.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

Z98 wrote:The wiki is principally used as a repository for technical documentation on NT internals, meaning it is primarily a developer resource and secondarily a tester resource. That there are pages that the community at large finds useful or are able to edit is due to convenience. However, for pages discussing technical topics, you should not be touching them unless you are well versed in the subject matter, not for grammar and especially not for cosmetic changes. Therefore, do NOT go around editing pages at random because you think something would look better a different way, that's only going to cause the developers who use the data headaches. If you think there are improvements that can be made, you need to clear them with the web maintainers for generic changes and with the subject authors for technical documentation.
I object to this, especially with spelling and grammar. Microsoft uses proper spelling and grammar in their documentation. Why not do that in ours?
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
justincase

Post by justincase »

I don't think Z98 wants to have incorrect spelling and grammar, but rather that it's more important that the intended meaning come across.

It is important that one comprehends the intended meaning of a sentence if they are going to correct it, whether that be a spelling, grammar, or content correction. In the example above Blue misunderstood the meaning of the sentence, partially perhaps due to the less common (but still correct) grammar used, thus when Blue made changes to the sentence structure make grammar improvements, the meaning was lost, replaced by an incorrect notion that Blue had had due to misinterpreting the original sentence.

I personally agree with you (The_French_Rat) and Webunny that less knowledgeable people should not be 100% barred from editing wiki pages that cover a technical topic, however, less knowledgeable people need to recognise their limitations, and not edit things which they do not understand.
Making big changes (e.g. basic design of the page) and fixing things which aren't easily understood are why the wiki has Talk pages. If your desired edit could be controversial or incorrect, ask about it on the page's Talk page.

On another note, catching and reverting incorrect and improper edits are the whole purpose behind the revision history, and in particular "Undo" functions on a wiki.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

justincase wrote:
Z98 wrote: ... you should not be touching them [wiki pages discussing technical topics] unless you are well versed in the subject matter, not for grammar and especially not for cosmetic changes. ...
Webunny wrote:Well, actually, corrections on grammar or spelling is exactly one of the few things somebody without extensive knowledge of the IT-technical side of the issue *could* do, imho. For the rest I largely agree.
If someone is to make grammatical and/or spelling corrections to wiki pages on "technical topics", they need to be well versed enough on both the English language, and the subject matter to be certain that their changes do not alter the meaning unnecessarily.
A number of Blue's changes were incorrect, some because they were grammatically correct before, and not after, others because they gave a different meaning after Blue had changed them.

As an example:
Before Blue's edits: "Currently it hosts multiple builders, albeit only the one building ReactOS Trunk in debug mode is attached to scheduler and triggered automatically. Others need to be triggered by hand when needed." states that there are multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa, and that only one of them, specifically the one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode, gets triggered to build automatically, the rest of the builders on it being unattached to any such system, and thus requiring manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.
After Blue's edits: "Currently it hosts multiple builders, albeit this is the only one building Trunk in debug mode an attached to a scheduler that is triggered automatically. Unlike Others that need to be triggered by hand." indicates that Buildslave Warszawa, host of multiple builders, is the only buildslave which both builds from Trunk in debug mode and gets triggered to build automatically, and that the other buildslaves are not attached to such a system, and thus require manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.

These are pretty major differences in meaning, and Blue's version is wrong in multiple ways.
This is only one example of several I noticed.
What you point out is not a correction of bad grammar or spelling, but wrongly implemented changes to the grammar and spelling. But I don't see how this particular example disproves anything I said.

I mean; if I say: a)spelling is important and can be done by people not having the technical IT knowledge, and b)you show an example where 'curently' is wrongly written and someone makes it into 'curenttly' which is also (even worse) misspelt, then the point that I made (A) remains as valid as before.

You still don't need people well versed into IT-technical topics, but you need persons who are well versed in grammar and spelling, to correct grammar and spelling. When done right, there is no change of meaning, because it's a *correction* of badly written sentences and spelling in the first place. The area's where it's so bad the meaning becomes ambiguous, one could always ask. But if it got to that point, it's in dire need to be corrected anyway.
justincase

Post by justincase »

The point of the example was that while the sentence may have seemed slightly clumsy before, it was correct, both in factual correctness & grammar/spelling. However someone who is not well enough versed in both grammar and the subject at hand can easily take their own misreading of a slightly clumsy (but correct) sentence and decide to "fix" it in ways that in actuality make it worse, in one or more ways.
I wasn't trying to disprove anything, simply point out that people who don't know what they're editing, should refrain from it.
Blue was trying to be helpful, and I don't think that people should be barred from making changes unless they abuse that privilege.

Rather I'm saying that people who make changes need to be careful, and ensure that they fully understand what their edits will do, which is much more difficult if you don't understand the subject matter.

It is true that there are some obvious spelling mistakes (like in your example Webunny), and I have no issue with people fixing things like that, but you still have to know the subject, or you may find yourself in the wrong.
(A quick example: someone mentions NPFS, some might think it a typo of NTFS, but it should only be changed by someone who has enough knowledge of the subject matter to know from the context if it's a typo or if NPFS is correct)
Blue

Post by Blue »

As an example proved by the poster:
Not my words. Another persons understand if what I written.

Before Blue's edits: "Currently it hosts multiple builders, albeit only the one building ReactOS Trunk in debug mode is attached to scheduler and triggered automatically. Others need to be triggered by hand when needed." states that there are multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa, and that only one of them, specifically the one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode, gets triggered to build automatically, the rest of the builders on it being unattached to any such system,

Need more examples lets put one more up.
This is very annoying and I wanted to make clear and show people what this person is deleting when I fix or add to the wiki pages.:
Before Blue's edits:
Left to right reading order is not the only direction to read and write text on the globe. There exist also right to left reading order as in Hebrew and top to down reading order as in Japanese. Whereas one legal reading order in Japanese is also left to right. So you can restrict yourself to these two orders. This means that <help me>

After Blue's edits:
Left to right reading order is not the only direction to read and write text on the global scale. There also exist right to left reading order as in Hebrew and top to down reading order as in Japanese. Whereas one legal reading order in Japanese is also left to right. So you can restrict yourself to these two orders. This means you can encounter many style's. so be ready to adjust yourself to other individuals life styles that come with working in the community, unless you've gotten permission from the developers to rewrite the document from it's original. Be Respectful to other individuals and the actions you take! When individuals viewing the document usually will leave it alone if its not hurting anyone or anything just because it does not read in the same direction your used too does not mean you need to change the whole document.''This is a good example why limiting hardcode language phrases into source code is a important step in the right direction moving forward''
I don't see anyone's point of it being wrong. As above is the same as below.
In case above is to hard to understand.... Meaning the same as the example of mine you offered Before Blue's edits:... -_-

Currently it host multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa and specifically only one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode, gets triggered to build automatically, in debug mode that is attached to a scheduler and that is triggered automatically by our own Warszawa build system. Our additional multiple builders that are attached to Warszawa, have to be triggered by hand when needed and are not unattached to any such requirements. You can trigger a Trunk build update by manually triggering if a build from one of them is desired...
justincase
Again don't delete my crap because you don't have a IT degree!!! or do a better job at editing at the wrong parts & fix them other than deleting my whole wiki fixing!!! Way to be a jerk when you have a full wiki original wiki page viewer & mods saying give me each step of what you've edited to waste my time... and ban me off the wiki pages because you can not express what you mean in written and hope people understand your hidden meanings... That's why I don't like little kids being WIKI MODS! HARD words I know.... I now feel that way though... Why help when all they do is come and ruin what you've worked on for hours to fix and than tell you, its wrong but can't explain to you the reasoning why its wrong... or fix the part in it. (I'm just saying they are offensive wiki controllers).
Zehnvor
Any page that is official should look official and try to limit the missing information & be very detailed, and move away as much as you can from the 60s style wiki pages. As Ros is using this page for public domain listing under Welcome area to enter all the following areas for the public to view and learn from! (Even wiki pages can be locked). This is a good example why we need official wiki pages, if we are going to use them for a public domain visit center & should be locked from public editing in entirely. This way would also protect privacy from un-authored external link changes if this truly what is being worried about by the wiki mods.

I was told I can not make icons in front of headings - "they make the page look less seriously."
I don't agree as it makes it look more uniformed as it is being used as a public visiting domain.

I was told I can not make "external links, when others are allowed on the page under nightly builds."
The Wiki page editors can but the end users can not? Is this mod upset another person might do a better job?

I was told look at the wiki rules & how to format on the wiki pages when I was doing a fine job.
We have no rules listing under the navigation side menu.
Z98
The wiki is principally used as a repository for technical documentation on NT internals. (Stop using this as a excuse.) why things should not be fixed or edited out for better understanding. ALSO YOUR ONLY CAREING ABOUT Developers and not the end users that need to look up this information.. You think developers are the only people that need to really know this information.. Your wrong sr. Now please make the wiki pages more transparent and correct full sentence and like our ReactOS motto... WIKI is for all users not just Developers (EVERYONE)!!!
The_French_Rat
Thank for the support. :)
NOTE: I did not make this page to rant on either but when it comes to unfairness its aggravating.
Now I can go back to playing http://www.gog.com/ games!
Last edited by Blue on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
justincase

Post by justincase »

justincase wrote:As an example:
Before Blue's edits ... states that there are multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa, and that only one of them, specifically the one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode, gets triggered to build automatically, the rest of the builders on it being unattached to any such system, and thus requiring manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.
After Blue's edits ... indicates that Buildslave Warszawa, host of multiple builders, is the only buildslave which both builds from Trunk in debug mode and gets triggered to build automatically, and that the other buildslaves are not attached to such a system, and thus require manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.
Blue wrote:I don't see anyone's point of it being wrong. As above is the same as below.
In case above is to hard to understand.... Meaning the same as the example of mine you offered Before Blue's edits:... -_-

Currently it host multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa and specifically only one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode, gets triggered to build automatically, in debug mode that is attached to a scheduler and that is triggered automatically by our own Warszawa build system. Our additional multiple builders that are attached to Warszawa, have to be triggered by hand when needed and are not unattached to any such requirements. You can trigger a Trunk build update by manually triggering if a build from one of them is desired...
Actually they have very different meanings, mainly due to changes in scope of various parts of the statement. Also your restated version is better than the version you put in the wiki (by way of correctness), but is very clumsy (grammatically speaking), and would (in my opinion) be better off as it was before you touched it.
Blue wrote:
justincase
Blue wrote:Again don't delete my crap because you don't have a IT degree!!!
I've only undone 2 things that you did, and each time I explained why in the Summary field.
These are due to the previous version having better sentence structure, and due to a list being unordered and thus not suitable for an "ordered list"
Blue wrote:or do a better job at editing at the wrong parts & fix them other than deleting my whole wiki fixing!!!
I tried that where I thought a change might be good, but yours was not quite right, it's not my fault Zehnvor (who has more authority in this project that I) apparently thought it was better before either of our edits.
Blue wrote:Way to be a jerk when you have a full wiki original wiki page viewer & mods saying give me each step of what you've edited to waste my time... and ban me off the wiki pages because you can not express what you mean in written and hope people understand your hidden meanings...
I don't think I'm being a jerk, just trying to help the wiki, and to perhaps help you understand how to edit the wiki without getting banned.
I don't think Zehnvor's meanings were hidden (see your talk page), if you did not understand them, then you should have asked him what they meant rather than simply continuing to do what he had asked you not to do.
Blue wrote:That's why I don't like little kids being WIKI MODS! HARD words I know.... I now feel that way though... Why help when all they do is come and ruin what you've worked on for hours to fix and than tell you, its wrong but can't explain to you the reasoning why its wrong... or fix the part in it. (I'm just saying they are offensive wiki controllers).
Wow, name calling, that's (not) good internet etiquette :roll:. Actually Zehnvor did tell you what was wrong in several instances, and I tried to "fix the part in it" in another. You were not banned for making all those edits, you were banned (temporarily I might add) for continuing to do what a person of higher authority asked you not to, there is nothing "little kid" like about that.
Blue wrote:
Zehnvor
Blue wrote:Any page that is official should look official and try to limit the missing information & be very detailed, and move away as much as you can from the 60s style wiki pages.
There were no wikis in the '60s, and it is more important to have correct information than well styled information.
Blue wrote:As Ros is using this page for public domain listing under Welcome area to enter all the following areas for the public to view and learn from! (Even wiki pages can be locked). This is a good example why we need official wiki pages, if we are going to use them for a public domain visit center & should be locked from public editing in entirely. This way would also protect privacy from un-authored external link changes if this truly what is being worried about by the wiki mods.
I had to read that sentence several times to figure out what you meant.
ReactOS' homepage is at ReactOS.org, not ReactOS.org/wiki, that's the wiki, which is referenced as the "Technical wiki". Some pages are locked, other pages are protected by people who undo bad edits, and try to explain to the people who made such edits why they were undone, and what they should do differently.
Blue wrote:I was told I can not make icons in front of headings - "they make the page look less seriously."
I don't agree as it makes it look more uniformed as it is being used as a public visiting domain.
Whether you agree or not, someone who has more authority within the project in question said not to. So don't.
Blue wrote:I was told I can not make "external links, when others are allowed on the page under nightly builds."
The Wiki page editors can but the end users can not? Is this mod upset another person might do a better job?
Specifically you were told "don't include images from external servers, because this opens some privacy related problems."
"external servers" in this case means any server not owned and/or operated by the ReactOS Foundation and/or other predefined affiliated entities
and the "privacy related problems" are multiple issues, including the both the simple fact that another server outside the project can now see who's accessing a page, and the fact that an image hosted on a compromised server can sometimes be used to put malware onto a users computer without their knowledge.
Blue wrote:I was told look at the wiki rules & how to format on the wiki pages when I was doing a fine job.
We have no rules listing under the navigation side menu.
You obviously were not "doing a fine job" if a wiki Moderator undid your changes.
The only officially stated rules I can find in a quick search of the site is the "Code of Conduct" thread https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3709 which is stickied to the top of every board on this forum, and while it looks to be mainly meant as rules for the forum many of the rules can also be applied to the wiki
Blue wrote:
Z98
Blue wrote:The wiki is principally used as a repository for technical documentation on NT internals. (Stop using this as a excuse.) why things should not be fixed or edited out for better understanding. ALSO YOUR ONLY CAREING ABOUT Developers and not the end users that need to look up this information.. You think developers are the only people that need to really know this information.. Your wrong sr. Now please make the wiki pages more transparent and correct full sentence and like our ReactOS motto... WIKI is for all users not just Developers (EVERYONE)!!!
It's not an excuse, it's what it is, it's the "Technical wiki", which is "principally used as a repository for technical documentation on NT internals", and is likely to stay that way. That said, there is nothing wrong with using complete and proper sentences, and as far as I can tell people usually try to do so on the wiki, however not everyone is well-versed in English grammar, and some people use lower quality English due to being in a rush or simply not caring about the quality of their work, and these should be fixed if possible, but not made worse. Inversely, just because you or I have difficulty understanding a specific sentence does not mean that it is necessarily wrong, so unless you know that your 'fix' is correct, don't take it upon yourself to 'fix' it. (there is a reason that every page has a link to a "talk page" available, so we can suggest changes and/or request fixes by people who know more about the specific subject than we do.)
Blue wrote:NOTE: I did not make this page to rant on either but when it comes to unfairness its aggravating.
Again I don't see how what's happening is unfair, you made changes to the wiki and someone with authority over the wiki asked to stop making the kinds of changes you were making, you kept doing it, you got temporarily kicked off of the wiki. (and again I want to mention that it was a temporary ban. This means that it will automatically lift after a specified period of time, and that you will be allowed to edit again, if you will change to do things in a way that is acceptable on this wiki.)
Blue wrote:Now I can go back to playing http://www.gog.com/ games!
Enjoy your games. ;) I hope you find some of this post helpful.
And please remember "Code of Conduct" rule #1
[url=https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3709]Code of Conduct[/url] posted by Z98 wrote:1. Be polite, be courteous, be civil.

Common courtesy seems to be lacking on the internet, but it's something that we will enforce here. This is not a matter of respect, it's a matter of treating others the way you want to be treated. Violation of this rule will result either in locked threads, deleted messages, or deleted accounts, depending on the severity, frequency of infractions, and response to warnings. It will be up to the moderators and administrators to determine in their own judgment which punishment is appropriate.
(I underlined what I'm trying to emphasize)