Encrypt/decrypt files to fly

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Encrypt/decrypt files to fly

Post by manuel »

Greetings:

I would suggest that reactos natively implemented a system of encryption of all sensitive files (files in the folder user and optionally folders designated by the user), to in case of theft of your computer (laptop) is not accessible files from outside (if someone removed the disk and tries to open files from another pc, this action is not possible), you know is that there is software to do this, but few people know (or care) this.
Reactos should encrypt/deixar in a transparent way, perhaps using the user name or password as the password to encrypt the files.
erkinalp

Re: Encrypt/decrypt files to fly

Post by erkinalp »

It is the feature of the filesystem's, not the OS'.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
manuel

Post by manuel »

erkinalp wrote:It is the feature of the filesystem's, not the OS'.
and, is possible implements this feature using ntfs, ext2/3?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

And what if you change the password? Bye bye files. And yes, NTFS indeed supports encryption. With the same problem. No file access by default if you change the password. And of course there are Bit Locker and True Crypt and stuff. What about administration access to normal user profiles? What about partial data recovery? This is nothing the OS should force on a user. But the option would be OK, yeah.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
manuel

Post by manuel »

EmuandCo wrote:And what if you change the password? Bye bye files.
:o :o I not thought in this problem
Konata

Post by Konata »

Yeah I hear that problem even occurs in EXT2/4. Quite frankly I also think this is something that shouldn't be imposed on the user. Though if NTFS has it I imagine ROS will inherit it anyway?
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Konata wrote:Yeah I hear that problem even occurs in EXT2/4. Quite frankly I also think this is something that shouldn't be imposed on the user. Though if NTFS has it I imagine ROS will inherit it anyway?
One thing is having the feature that enables you to use, and another different thing is using it by default or making it mandatory. The OP suggested the latter, but NTFS doesn't implement it this way, and as such the logic behind "it will inherit it" is, thankfully, flawed. I wouldn't encrypt by default, because of the reasons other posters gave before me. Also, it incurs overhead to the mix, and this overhead is justified only in a user per user basis, not for everyone out there.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
Bit Locker is built in to windows http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker True Crypt is dead
NTFS EFS NTFS-3G
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encrypting_File_System
NTFS-3G supports all operations for writing files: files of any size can be created, modified, renamed, moved, or deleted on NTFS partitions. Transparent compression is supported, but there is no support for encryption
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

Normally one shoudn't lose access to efs encryped files if he changes his password...
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Quite frankly:

As suggest to leave to userspace as much as possible.

Otherwise, the complexity of ReactOS will rise exponentially. - I am all for including free tools on the CDs for the comfort of the user, or to automate downloads etc.; but all those "it might be a good idea"-things are better left out if not constituting absolutely necessary core functionality.

In concreto: 1. create a RAM-disk and (unpack and) handle sensitive files there; 2. password-protect an archive created out of the files on the ram disk; copy that archive back to hard disk. - That would be quite sufficient to handle "sensitive information on a highly experimental OS" (which by itself has the charme of driving around your kid in a special children's seat and with a seatbelt... in a rocket car).
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

RAM-Disk has one flaw. Power off unexpected and we are done ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

EmuandCo wrote:And what if you change the password? Bye bye files.
TrueCrypt solves this deficiency using a one-time generated masterkey for each encrypted volume. If you change the password, encrypted data does not change. Just the encrypted masterkey is re-encrypted with the new password.
EmuandCo wrote:What about administration access to normal user profiles? What about partial data recovery?
Block encryption allows partial data recovery using the brute force.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2