Simple, quick, and useful

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frontier

Simple, quick, and useful

Post by Frontier »

Every now and then someone on the forums claims they don't have coding experience... this thread is here to fix that. We will post easy jobs top get people familiar with some user land (non-kernel) parts of ReactOS.

First up:
Zip shell folder implementation. In windows one can double click on a zip folder in explorer and explore it like any other folder. In ReactOS this is not yet possible. But it's really not that hard to implement. We have literally (not figuratively) ten other shell folders to examine and learn from to make this happen; and we've already got zlib in the code base and 7zip is known to work if one wants to put in the extra effort. (When making drag and drop work from 7zip, I explored it quite a lot, it's pretty clean).

Volunteers?
gonzoMD

Re: Simple, quick, and useful

Post by gonzoMD »

I also have a proposal.
I wanted to do this by myself but I just don't find the time: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7194
There is a Wine patch inside the comments which almost does the job but it has to be converted to ReactOS specific code.
Also there should be a GUI which shows the actual state of the execution.
Not that hard I think.
The benefits would be that one can easily Add App Setups in 3rd stage Setup for own ROS distributions as example.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

I have a third proposal. Currently, we only get a 'search' for drivers in the beginning. Contrary to Windows, in ROS you can't make a 'search for new devices' (options under device manager) so that you can let it have another go in finding drivers. Basically, the only thing one has to do, is re-implement the same sequence of code that you get when you start up (aka, the code is already there). The trigger there should be linked to the button 'search for new devices', which is now greyed out in ROS.

As one can see, this is rather trivial for any coder. No new code has to be created, only existing code(sequences) made to react to another trigger/clicking of a button. The advantage would be that, if you install new devices or have downloaded drivers, you can easily redo the process of letting it find it, instead of having to re-install ROS completely.

Alas...as with all things, the question is and remains: who will do it? Mine and the above suggestions aren't all that hard to implement, but *someone* still needs to do it.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

BTW: some time ago I created a similar document which sums up such stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ugj ... sp=sharing
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:BTW: some time ago I created a similar document which sums up such stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ugj ... sp=sharing
That settles it! I appoint you to non-kernel-developer to code and implement all suggestions! :P
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

I think this would be better handled in the wiki, kind of like the newbie projects in LibreOffice. I wouldn't underestimate the amount of information bloat a forum can get for these kind of things.
That would also help in ordering them by difficulty or required skillset.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

mrugiero wrote:I think this would be better handled in the wiki, kind of like the newbie projects in LibreOffice. I wouldn't underestimate the amount of information bloat a forum can get for these kind of things.
That would also help in ordering them by difficulty or required skillset.
Yes and no. The list gonzoMD provided was certainly interesting, as were the other suggestions/requests here, and I can see where you're coming from, asking to place it in the wiki. And you can, of course. But is it of any use? Yes, it's more permanent there, but it also clutters things up. I mean: if there is no-one going to actually do something with it, it's no use anyway. And if there is, wouldn't it be better placed in JIRA?

Ah well...

It can't hurt neither, I guess. Maybe a wikipage of 'TODO's' might some day come in handy when a newby programmer comes in, that doesn't want to do the kernel or other 'heavy' stuff, but is capable/wanting to do these kind of 'lighter' fixes.

I have been looking into this also: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/

It's like a junior GSOC. Never heard of it before, but there you go; the less well-known lil brother of GSOC: Google Code-In. I'm wondering if ROS could apply for that one as well, for these kind of relative 'minor' things - as described in this thread - to fix. Or would that still be way out of their league? Depends on their skills, I guess, but I think it possible a 16-17 year old well-versed in coding could probably manage these lighter tasks.
Last edited by Webunny on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonix

Post by Tonix »

Probably the best solution is use the community site for this thing.

IT can be done as a contest with a little prize ( like a T-SHIRT or a USB stick)
for the junior-devoloper more voted by the community.

In same way can be organize a Bug-Hunters contest, something more technical that only report a bug,
like providing information of the component tha cause the issue and why.

I think that support ReactOs coding and testing is important as supporting giving a donation.

This can be useful also to find the future "real" developers.

Another task that is more ore less easy as Zip Folders is SMB Folder,
not really integrate but an interface for Samba like the one for Zlib.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Yup, I like the idea too.
Basically, we need a development entry point so we can:
1)Ease the work to new devs willing to help
2)Discover and evaluate their coding skills
3)Creating a database of skills which we can use later on.

As you can see there is a "JOB" tab in the Community site which points towards the current Job ReactOS page, however the idea I've in mind (adding your suggestions too) is:
1) Renaming "Job" to "Tasks/Help/Whatever..(I need to find a nice name)", so we can place there a list of easy tasks which can be developed by junior Devs or newcomers, not just in the Development area, but also in Testing , Translating, Design area.
2) Using these "Tasks" to evaluate their skills, and as the door to the "Jobs" ReactOS section. So a newcomer which wants to be hired he has first to show his skills picking one of these easy tasks.
3) Creating a database of skills, so if you anyone is willing to help, we can contact him when the time comes (ie, a design for an Event, or help to finish an icon set, etc). This form can be feed with the database of "EasyTasks" so when he finish adding his skills, we can show him tasks fitting them.

These are the 3 ideas I've right now in mind :)
Of course any improvements around them are welcome!
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote: Of course any improvements around them are welcome!
I'm happy to hear that! :)

I started doubting it after the whole conversation with z98.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Since we are the final arbitrators of what constitutes an "improvement" in the project why would we not welcome things that we approve of?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Since we are the final arbitrators of what constitutes an "improvement" in the project why would we not welcome things that we approve of?
And as long as those arbitrators use rational and logical reasonings in judging what constitutes an improvement, I imagine no-one would doubt that welcome or lack thereof.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Webunny: Stop talking start doing. I just started to do something and it got used even without any request. Instead Victor asked me if we could use it. If someone sees the fruits of your work it is much easier as talking about eventual things.
Frontier

Post by Frontier »

Totes write a zip shell folder implementation
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:Webunny: Stop talking start doing. I just started to do something and it got used even without any request. Instead Victor asked me if we could use it. If someone sees the fruits of your work it is much easier as talking about eventual things.
Start doing what? I'm only interested in specific issues. The pictures on the page have been solved, I *did* do the wall-paper-contest and it's now up to the devs/PR, I *did* make the translation of the website, which after more than 6 months has been finally made 'workable' by the devs/PR (but still not really as it should be), and I *did* do the new newspaper compilation several months ago and send it to vic who promised he would do something with it after IGG - which already has ended a considerable time as well.

So I think you're being a bit presumptious that I only 'talk'. For things I found interesting, I have done my share, but, alas, even after doing those things, little progress is detectable.

Note, as well, that there often is also an indication being given in the 'talk', which make the 'work' on it superflous from the start. I could, for instance, provide a system with an additional captcha, to reduce the spam further (and considerably so, imho). However, if it's made clear no additional captcha system will be used, it's of no use I put my time and effort in such a system. "Start doing'", as you said, would be rather futile and counterproductive in this matter, thus. Sure, one could say there are other issues still, but I'm only motivated in doing stuff (at least, if it's unpaid) which interests me. It's still a hobby, after all. I prefer to do things that I like or find interesting, and, of course, which will be adapted (otherwise you're working for nothing and are on an fools' errand).