0.3.17 testing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: 0.3.17 testing

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:Come on, this is bikeshedding... it takes a minute or two to download some wallpaper from the net and test it (including browser download & install). But testing the applications from the list will take a lot more time, let's focus on that.
I agree there are more important things to test, but I'm just saying it *could* have been easily included too. And if they were (had been) included, it was the right thing to mention, since I don't see them anywhere, so that would mean something went wrong, and there might be a bug.

Granted, chances were slim and I saw it as the most likely cause, but still. The answer of z98, while not delving into this directly, strongly implied that no such bug occurred and it simply wasn't included, therefore confirming what I thought. I don't know if this bodes well for the wallpapers on the actual release, but ok, a missed opportunity doesn't say everything.

I'm not in reach of my ROS-machine right now, but I'll try to test out some more tomorrow. One thing I noted is that opening a window takes ages, but that was the same before. Hope that gets better with the stuff of Gigaherz. One positive new effect seems to be that when I now shut it down, it doesn't give a BSOD anymore, where it used to have that result half of the time with the last daily build I used (from some months ago). Have to test that a bit more so it becomes statistically relevant, however.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You apparently significantly missed my point. What relevance is it whether the wallpapers are included or not, when what I have asked for is the testing of the applications on the wiki list? Beyond inflating the size of the release candidate image, that is.
middings

Post by middings »

I suppose 'release candidate' does not mean what I thought it meant.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:You apparently significantly missed my point. What relevance is it whether the wallpapers are included or not, when what I have asked for is the testing of the applications on the wiki list? Beyond inflating the size of the release candidate image, that is.
Z98, I hope you do not imagine that, as testers, we're only allowed to test what you dictate to test us. As another poster already indicated, a 'release candidate' should be exactly that: a candidate for release. As such, while it is understandable you want to see the most important applications be tested out first, there is nothing that would prohibit testing other things as well, whether you asked for it or not. Hence, you do not see the relevance because you take the position that only what you say should be taken into account, where you have limited the testing to what you want to see tested. There IS relevance, however, if one one does not subscribe to that premise, and just want to test the RC, period.

So, unless the official position is that a RC can only be tested in area's that you find relevant to be tested, and other testings or bugfinding is unwanted, what you argued makes little sense. When you say "The ISO and applications we would like testing done for are listed here" I regard it as a request, not to be limited exclusively only to that. Otherwise, 'to beat upon a release candidate to see what works and what doesn't work' and 'any help you guys can provide' does not come into play.

Also, while it inflates the RC, it will also inflate the actual release (when included). It should not escape your attention that the more a RC is similar to the actual release, the more relevant it is as a whole. Imagine some weird bug in the instalment-phase would pop up when the distro is of a certain size? You'd never note it in the RC, even though you could experience it in the actual release, and the reason would be because you never included it in the RC in the first place. The more a RC deviates from the actual release, the more chance you have that problems arise that you did not perceive in the RC. Now, granted, it may seem unlikely that the wallpapers will cause any trouble, and I agree there are other things to test that are more important, but if one is honest, one can not deny the truth of what I just said.

So, I agree it is irrelevant in the context of what you like it to be: only a test of the apps mentioned on the wikipage. It IS relevant however to "0.3.17 testing", which is what the title of the thread says. The latter is clearly more encompassing than what you want to see tested, and one would be hard pressed to refute "0.3.17 testing" can't encompass wallpapers or anything else for that matter.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You can test whatever you want on it. Unbelievable... Kindergarten because of a skipped wallpaper. This is a build from the early release branch. There is NOTHING done in form of eye candy as long as we dont know if we have serious regressions. Sure, we can spend the time a few ppl have for development to add the eye candy to a preprepreRC, but I think this is useless. If you wanna test wallpapers so much, add one by loading it via FireFox. Already tested one app, see? And now I would like to go back to topic. If you have any objections agains my last answer in that case, feel free to PM me!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Webunny wrote:Z98, I hope you do not imagine that, as testers, we're only allowed to test what you dictate to test us.
IMHO, for these, very particular builds and forum topic, Z98 asks for feedback only for apps listed on the wiki page. We are of course free to test anything, but at the moment and in this thread, only these OS/apps/bugs combinations should be reported. Usual feedback channels are to be used for anything else.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:You can test whatever you want on it. Unbelievable... Kindergarten because of a skipped wallpaper. This is a build from the early release branch. There is NOTHING done in form of eye candy as long as we dont know if we have serious regressions. Sure, we can spend the time a few ppl have for development to add the eye candy to a preprepreRC, but I think this is useless. If you wanna test wallpapers so much, add one by loading it via FireFox. Already tested one app, see? And now I would like to go back to topic. If you have any objections agains my last answer in that case, feel free to PM me!
I have no objections to what you say whatsoever, apart maybe the kindergarten remark. In my original post, the only thing I was saying, was that I didn't notice any wallpapers there. Which is fully correct. I'm not sure why one always wants to have some sort of defensive stance on it. It sufficed to say they were not included in this RC, instead of going "Why would that be necessary?" and "What is the relevance of it?". When one asks me those questions, I answer them as best as I can. Since one asked, one shouldn't complain that I do.

fred02 wrote:
Webunny wrote:Z98, I hope you do not imagine that, as testers, we're only allowed to test what you dictate to test us.
IMHO, for these, very particular builds and forum topic, Z98 asks for feedback only for apps listed on the wiki page. We are of course free to test anything, but at the moment and in this thread, only these OS/apps/bugs combinations should be reported. Usual feedback channels are to be used for anything else.
Yes, which is what I said: he asked us to test the apps on the wikipage. It's a request, thus. Nowhere do I see it mentioned the testing is only to be limited to that, and only that, however. The title of the thread says '0.3.17 testing': this is pretty self-evident in it's pertained scope, I think. Also, it is directly said 'to beat upon a release candidate to see what works and what doesn't work' and 'any help you guys can provide' ; thereby negating the interpretation that it's *only* about those apps even more. If no input can be given on anything else than those apps at the wikipage, it suffices to clearly say so. If not, one shouldn't complain that other things of the RC are brought up as well.
Last edited by Webunny on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote: Z98, I hope you do not imagine that, as testers, we're only allowed to test what you dictate to test us. As another poster already indicated, a 'release candidate' should be exactly that: a candidate for release. As such, while it is understandable you want to see the most important applications be tested out first, there is nothing that would prohibit testing other things as well, whether you asked for it or not.
Of course you may try any apps you want to test, however there is a reason about WHY testing the apps listed.
1)Since they are tested release after release we can track down any potential regression. If you test an app never tested before, even if that's cool, that test won't be useful unless you afterwards install 0.3.16 and compare against.
2)Those apps covers from Multimedia to Editors, which helps to cover tons of APIs. They try to be somewhat representative.

If someone wants to help, perfect, if not, thanks to be around.
What else we can say...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Webunny wrote: Z98, I hope you do not imagine that, as testers, we're only allowed to test what you dictate to test us. As another poster already indicated, a 'release candidate' should be exactly that: a candidate for release. As such, while it is understandable you want to see the most important applications be tested out first, there is nothing that would prohibit testing other things as well, whether you asked for it or not.
Of course you may try any apps you want to test, however there is a reason about WHY testing the apps listed.
1)Since they are tested release after release we can track down any potential regression. If you test an app never tested before, even if that's cool, that test won't be useful unless you afterwards install 0.3.16 and compare against.
2)Those apps covers from Multimedia to Editors, which helps to cover tons of APIs. They try to be somewhat representative.

If someone wants to help, perfect, if not, thanks to be around.
What else we can say...
I'm fully aware of that, and I already agreed with the notion that those tests are important and useful, and that one wants to prioritise that is understandable. There is no reason to explain why this is so (at least, not to me), and your 2 points are very reasonable and self-evident. But if it's not SOLELY permitted to give only input on this, but also other things, then one shouldn't act as if all other things have no relevance in testing the RC.

And now, since I'm back at my ROS PC, I'll test some of those apps out. :)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

None-app-problem or not, I still also want to mention that my sound(card) doesn't seem to work anylonger. Tried installing it several times, like I did with daily builds after 0.3.16 (and where it worked), but it just doesn't seem to work anymore in this RC.

I hope it's not the same sort of regression as in https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7668 .
Tonix

Post by Tonix »

can you add this fix to the RC?
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-8648
tnx
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Updated ISO with a bunch of fixes cherry picked as requested by feedback. And yes, this includes the fix for Firefox. Note that for the apps that succeeded before we don't need people to re-test them, only ones that failed due to the fixed issues.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos ... p/download
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
rapps is not downloading iview438_setup or irfanview_plugins_438_setup.exe

to install irfanview you need to on windows download Visual C++ 6.0 run-time and and extract mfc42.dll mount you reactos hd and copy mfc42.dll to the same location where you have the irfanview setup file then unmount reactos hd and the boot and install

IrfanView 4.38 is Working on 0.3.17RC2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hm, mirrors down maybe... have to try that later at home.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »