I smell 0.3.17 release pretty soon...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

I smell 0.3.17 release pretty soon...

Post by vicmarcal »

Do you smell it?
It is not coffee, nor the grass smell in a rainy day...
Seems bits and bytes are joining together to release 0.3.17 really soon.
https://twitter.com/reactos/status/529348303134396420
ReactFan

Re: I smell 0.3.17 release pretty soon...

Post by ReactFan »

Good news though I think it's such a release for solace for those waiting for the release of version 0.4
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

ReactFan wrote:Good news though I think it's such a release for solace for those waiting for the release of version 0.4
Version numbers are not important. Having stable and a steady flow of releases is what is important
justincase

Post by justincase »

The fact is that ReactOS 0.4 will be released when the trunk reaches (or possibly surpasses) The Project's requirements for what needs to be in version 0.4, and in the mean-time 0.3.x releases will continue as The Project deems appropriate.

What's the best way to get the word out about the 0.3.17 release? Are there any news outlets that would post an article?
It would be nice to get another influx of testers.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Just to make sure, the new explorer will be in 0.3.17? Right? :D
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Pi_User5 wrote:Just to make sure, the new explorer will be in 0.3.17? Right? :D
Nope. 0.4 will. :)
justincase

Post by justincase »

Pi_User5, RC stands for "Release Candidate", so look at the current 0.3.17 RC, and you can see effectively what 0.3.17 will be. The only differences between an RC and the official release that it is/was a candidate for should be bug fixes, no new features introduced.

Once the shell-experiments branch gets merged into trunk, then the next release will include it, whether that be 0.4, or earlier, but as vicmarcal says, so far the only version that we know will include the new shell work that's been done in the shell-experiments branch is 0.4.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Nope. 0.4 will. :)
I can wait. ;)
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Murmur wrote:Version numbers are not important. Having stable and a steady flow of releases is what is important
Like this one, sounds like in Fifth Element. :lol: We need this MotD in ROS.
Can I use it in my signature, with proper attribution of course?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

fred02 wrote:
Murmur wrote:Version numbers are not important. Having stable and a steady flow of releases is what is important
Like this one, sounds like in Fifth Element. :lol: We need this MotD in ROS.
Can I use it in my signature, with proper attribution of course?
I dunno. It's akin to saying 'Bullets don't kill people; people do' as a defence against gun-regulation.

Doesn't take away the fact that, in countries where there is more stringent gun-regulation, there is also less gun-related deaths.

The problem with the above statement is that it creates a dichotomy where there is none. It's not because stable releases are important, that version numbers can't be important neither. At least, it doesn't follow out of it. Thus, the first claim is unsubstantiated, and used in a way to imply reversed causality - where there is none in actuality - with the latter.

Of course; if version numbers had no importance, no-one would use them, and one could as well just name all versions the same, with simply 'Reactos'. It's easy to see that numbering your versions have a definite use and importance. This is not only in regard to easy follow-up, but also in regard to getting attention (especially with 'whole' numbers). Therefore, I find the first claim, as it stands, not valid.