0.3.17 Released

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

0.3.17 Released

Post by Z98 »

https://www.reactos.org/node/911

Please help spread the word.
Black_Fox

Re: 0.3.17 Released

Post by Black_Fox »

Congratulations to the new release! :-)
Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 »

When I attempt to install on VirtualBox, it only shows a progress bar and says "Loading boot drivers", then goes to a black screen.

Virtual Machine is default Windows XP 32-bit settings.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Which version, I didn't have any difficulties using the latest stable.
Konata

Post by Konata »

This is amazing! I'm really hyped, ROS has gotten so far in it's development, it's truly a marvel.

Is explorer-new working now? Can I turn it on somehow? I tried looking for it, I can't find it.
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

Really amazing progress :O Can't believe it. Guys, you're unreal :D

I have a question:

what is C:\ReactOS\system32\y.exe ?
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Explorer-new will be the step to 0.4.0. You wont find it in there yet. It "was" released as special in a unfinished version at Linux days in Germany, thats it for now.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Really amazing progress :O Can't believe it. Guys, you're unreal :D

I have a question:

what is C:\ReactOS\system32\y.exe ?
I tried launching it and it's a command prompt with nothing but a blinking cursor.
Explorer-new will be the step to 0.4.0. You wont find it in there yet. It "was" released as special in a unfinished version at Linux days in Germany, thats it for now.
Is there someplace we could download it? :D
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

I am now experiencing mouse not responding to clicks (it did at first and
now it doesn't). Any possible reasons why? ( I am running it in vmware player 6.0.4, no vmware tools installed)...

Edit: It did work at first with usb device as part of VM, then it didn't work
and now I have removed all usb controllers from VM and it works again...
strange.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 »

Z98 wrote:Which version, I didn't have any difficulties using the latest stable.
0.3.17 release, downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos ... p/download

Latest SVN build (25272) works fine on the same VM.
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

@laurflorin
@Pi_User5

One can simply type "y /? " at the command prompt to see what it does.
However, the y command copies standard input to standard output until the input ends. It then copies the files specified at the command line to standard output.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

It even has new wallpapers now!

:-p
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Oddjob64 wrote:
Z98 wrote:Which version, I didn't have any difficulties using the latest stable.
0.3.17 release, downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos ... p/download

Latest SVN build (25272) works fine on the same VM.
Er, no, which version of vbox. And if it doesn't work the first time, retry and what configuration. The default options for me worked out of the box.
laurflorin wrote:I am now experiencing mouse not responding to clicks (it did at first and
now it doesn't). Any possible reasons why? ( I am running it in vmware player 6.0.4, no vmware tools installed)...

Edit: It did work at first with usb device as part of VM, then it didn't work
and now I have removed all usb controllers from VM and it works again...
strange.
See the changelog for known issues.
Pi_User5 wrote:
Is there someplace we could download it? :D
Considering it's extremely out of date at this point and would not provide an accurate preview of the new shell, you're better off building the branch yourself.
justincase

Post by justincase »

EmuandCo wrote:Explorer-new will be the step to 0.4.0. You wont find it in there yet. It "was" released as special in a unfinished version at Linux days in Germany, thats it for now.
Pi_User5 wrote:Is there someplace we could download it? :D
Z98 wrote:Considering it's extremely out of date at this point and would not provide an accurate preview of the new shell, you're better off building the branch yourself.
Pi_User5, the release EmuandCo is refering to was made in may 2013 (see the paragraph starting with "In addition to the packages traditionally provided", here) so you've already been testing with newer versions than it. At this point the only reason I can see for downloading it is to get a glimpse of the hybrid bootcd/livecd that was used.
and for people who want to try the shell-experiments branch but can't/won't learn to build it themselves you can use my builds, though I do usually lag a little behind the developers' commits
check the "blog" threads for the link

So lets get back on topic:
0.3.17 looks pretty good. I do find the known issue to be quite annoying, but seeing as I usually test with trunk (or branch) builds it won't be bothering me for too much longer.
Congrats on the release. I can't wait to see what's next. :ugeek:
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

VBOX downloaded and worked flawlessly first time and every time.

Really impressed, more stable than previous release in general use. Playing with it now, finding a few things that caused problems but where things didn't work at all last time, they now do. Certainly seems like a real and almost usable o/s now...

General impressions: I tried using it as a sandbox o/s browser combination within XP Pro and it was almost functional. General browsing good. With some sites containing flash content Firefox objected but prior to that the browser had been stable for a good while. Certainly an improvement.

Desktop and explorer seem functional and less flaky.

Attempting to install some more apps to test, apps that are important to me. I'll feedback soon.

As I said, really impressed. Well done. Now I'm desperate for 0.4... :D
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.