About ReactOS 0.4

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pi_User5

Re: About ReactOS 0.4

Post by Pi_User5 »

I think 0.4 will be released in January. :D
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Pi_User5 wrote:I think 0.4 will be released in January. :D
Err... you know that you just are 99.999999999999% wrong withing 95% CL?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

EmuandCo wrote:16 bit setups NEVER worked before just like they don't right now.
i do not think that is true i have a vague memory of installing C&C 95 on reactos 2.X C&C 95 have a 16-bit setup stub
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Pi_User5 wrote:I think 0.4 will be released in January. :D
I actually dug out one of my old blogposts from October 2008 saying something like
"0.3.8 could be released at the end of the year and then no more 0.3.9, straight to 0.4.0!"
based on forum quote
"The Plan was to make [0.3.7 and 0.3.8] and then 0.4." :D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

MadWolf wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:16 bit setups NEVER worked before just like they don't right now.
i do not think that is true i have a vague memory of installing C&C 95 on reactos 2.X C&C 95 have a 16-bit setup stub
Then recheck your memory. It was IMPOSSIBLE in the past and IS IMPOSSIBLE right now. Christoph von Wittich tried some stub bypass tool but it never really was included and especially NOT in a 0.2 release.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
emule01

Post by emule01 »

today there is the build 65535 it s the last build coded in 16 bits
what is the roadmap for x64 build and 16 bit ntvdm ?
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

May I add my "mustard" :-)

My stomage-feelings says that at the latest at the end of 2015 - as a christmas present - 0.4 will be out !

And a lot of more people are first hearing from ROS !
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

wildschwein wrote:May I add my "mustard" :-)

My stomage-feelings says that at the latest at the end of 2015 - as a christmas present - 0.4 will be out !

And a lot of more people are first hearing from ROS !
Wait...that's another WHOLE YEAR...
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Wait...that's another WHOLE YEAR...
Maybe the Community Edition will be released in a year.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Guys... if you don't stop guessing a release date, I will close that one here. I have NO interest in some gossip crap being spread on every news page!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Seriously, its a release number. Everyone acts like releasing a v0.4 will some how make ROS instantly better, and fix all bugs. Changing the version number without first implementing a wide range of improvements and bug fixes will result in nothing more than frustration from people expecting it to be a beta level product. I would have no problem with a 0.3.18, or even 0.3.19 release. Just as long as we continue to see the amazing improvements we have been seeing more and more over the last year. Keep up the amazing work Devs and thanks for your hard work.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

livestrong2109 wrote:Seriously, its a release number. Everyone acts like releasing a v0.4 will some how make ROS instantly better, and fix all bugs. Changing the version number without first implementing a wide range of improvements and bug fixes will result in nothing more than frustration from people expecting it to be a beta level product. I would have no problem with a 0.3.18, or even 0.3.19 release. Just as long as we continue to see the amazing improvements we have been seeing more and more over the last year. Keep up the amazing work Devs and thanks for your hard work.
Sure, one has to do something special/have some features that were missing before, so it becomes important enough to warrant a 'bigger' number.

However, it's also undeniable a 'bigger' (aka; 'round') number speaks more to people then just a 0.x.xx version. From a marketing perspective, such a number is always better and draws the attention more then previous, sub-numbered versions. It's true it has to deliver *something* worthwhile, which is why the original list wasn't too bad. But with working USB, explorer_new and some other major improvements, it's well worth it to take it to a higher number (NTVDM could have been part of it to, imho, but then again, maybe it was already way ahead of the other features that was going into the 0.4, and there was little sense in waiting - especially if it would take another year, as some have said.). Of course, we *still* have to make clear it's alpha and not usable for everyday use, but most people will have the right kind of expectations that way.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Webunny wrote:we *still* have to make clear it's alpha and not usable for everyday use, but most people will have the right kind of expectations that way.
Heh, I'd wish it to be that way; common people usually don't pay enough attention to warnings. But I agree that the shell merge is without a doubt one of the large "visual" changes that could go together nicely with version bump to 0.4.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:
Webunny wrote:we *still* have to make clear it's alpha and not usable for everyday use, but most people will have the right kind of expectations that way.
Heh, I'd wish it to be that way; common people usually don't pay enough attention to warnings. But I agree that the shell merge is without a doubt one of the large "visual" changes that could go together nicely with version bump to 0.4.
Hm. Dunno, depend on how clear you make it. I'm not overestimating the hoi palloi, but that said, if it's clearly indicated, most of the populace that want to download/use it will get the picture.

You always have some bonafide idiots, of course, but if they can't be bothered to read and downloaded it for free, they don't have any right to complain.

It would be a good idea to include a clear warning right at or in the place/link where you download it too, though. Minimizing confusion isn't a bad thing, and it's better to give a clear warning than none at all (or a difficult to find one).

Shell merge is a visible noticeable thing, yes. Hope usb get (near) 100% functional too. and maybe some other 'big' improvements. And then, of course, the stuff from the IGG too. Pretending to be SP2 may help there, for all those progs that check for it to install, but don't really make use of anything in SP2...

Seen how good things progress with the stuff of Gigahertz, I doubt the '1 year' claim a former poster made is correct.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

emule01 wrote:today there is the build 65535 it s the last build coded in 16 bits
what is the roadmap for x64 build and 16 bit ntvdm ?
I see I was not the only one to notice that. Here are the things I'd like to see:

1. Better real hardware support. The USB code shouldn't hang the machine, and HAL may need to be more flexible and allow for more different configurations.

2. Multicore, Multi-CPU, hyperthreading support.

3. Complete the NTFS support.