we need reactos-update

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nicoalta01

we need reactos-update

Post by nicoalta01 »

Hello everyone,
I think the next challenge in the 0.4.x (0.4.1, 0.4.2, 0.4.3 ...) is the implementation of an update.
So every build can update files
(not reinstall everything all the time)
if you want I put it for the next versions in wiki
Admin on Facebook Page ReactOS Italy http://www.facebook.com/ireactos
DOSGuy

Re: we need reactos-update

Post by DOSGuy »

I don't know if that's urgent during alpha stage. People aren't supposed to be using the OS full time yet. I would rather the devs focus on other things to get the OS ready for the day when people will use ReactOS continuously and have a need to update the OS without reinstalling it. As always, though, if someone wants to work on this, they can feel free to do so. I just don't think it should be a priority, and it doesn't seem necessary for 0.4 given that 0.4 will still be alpha.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Konata

Post by Konata »

I dunno, I think an update mechanism would be pretty helpful for testing, especially for real hardware. It would allow people to test the most recent revisions as well as allow people to more easily test ROS by simply updating it instead of going though the process of reinstalling it and loading any software they want to test. I wouldn't call it critical, but I can certainly see it being helpful.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Konata wrote:I dunno, I think an update mechanism would be pretty helpful for testing, especially for real hardware. It would allow people to test the most recent revisions as well as allow people to more easily test ROS by simply updating it instead of going though the process of reinstalling it and loading any software they want to test. I wouldn't call it critical, but I can certainly see it being helpful.
I totally agree
JonNotAvailable

Post by JonNotAvailable »

It would allow people to test the most recent revisions
That made me think of the usefulness of a downgrading feature. You know, to find out in which revision something worked.
nicoalta01

Post by nicoalta01 »

there is a problem.. How is it done?
Admin on Facebook Page ReactOS Italy http://www.facebook.com/ireactos
ReactFan

Post by ReactFan »

I think that at this moment it is not an essential element of the system because dragged to developers of other more needed improvements to the system no, unless one of the supporters of the system has the knowledge and knows how to perform most preferably, I'm all for it, but so far the system is notI am still so very stable not think twice about it.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

What I do —and this is more of a nifty feature while dev'ing— is to use .VHD-format disks in Virtualbox and mount (called attaching in Win32 jargon) it on my host system by using diskpart inside of a batch script. If you prefer to do it graphically, there's a secretive option in the Action menu of devmgmt.msc for that.

That way I can update my working copy, recompile, mount my virtual machine's disk and directly copy the most recent files in a matter of seconds. Works even better for developing ReactOS components by chaining `ninja mod-to-recompile && copy-to-vm.sh`, and I even added a VM shutdown prefix (by using VBoxManage) to avoid FAT32 corruption while the guest system is running (the ReactOS file system driver is still a bit finicky.)

But what about Linux? On my Linux system I use .VDI-formatted disks, which can be easily mounted in the same way by using vdfuse.

It's not exactly ideal, but gets the job done. It saves me quite a bit of time. Hope it helps.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
Tonix

Post by Tonix »

As said here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14186
reactos has an update feature...