Mouse speed!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Mouse speed!

Post by oldman »

I have experienced for a while now, where the mouse can move at a normal speed, but after a re-boot the mouse moves much slower (at least 50%). When I experience this behaviour, if I then re-boot, the mouse is (usually) back at normal speed. It is not the actual mouse that is the problem, because I have used other mice that have the same problem! So it is either the computer hardware or ReactOS where the problem is.

Does anyone else experience this?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Pi_User5

Re: Mouse speed!

Post by Pi_User5 »

I've never noticed that. :)
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

What kind of mouse is it? PS/2 or USB?
oldman

Post by oldman »

PurpleGurl wrote:What kind of mouse is it? PS/2 or USB?
Using a USB mouse is hit and miss, so if I use a USB mouse it is first plugged into an adapter, then into a PS2 port. I have used different mice; currently I have got an old HP mouse with the roller-ball underneath.

From the few replies that I have got, it would appear that the problem must be with the motherboard.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

It might not be the motherboard. It might be a slightly different implementation, and ROS might not be 100% compatible in your situation. Maybe ROS is not taking long enough to set the port to the proper speed or something. A simple change such as initializing multiple times or taking longer between initializing commands early on could make a difference and allow more mouse ports to work consistently in ROS.

One possible suggestion is to try a mouse speed adjustment program. If it helps, then maybe a minor suggestion like I gave above could be implemented in ROS.

I could see this type of behavior if it was a shared mouse/keyboard socket. Some newer boards use those, and the thing is, while the electrical connections are compatible and the different type of data can coexist, the voltage standards are different, with one device preferring about 3.9v and the other about 4.5v. A good splitter would probably include a resistor in series with the lower voltage device.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Solution: Make fastest and most sensitive the default.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

erkinalp wrote:Solution: Make fastest and most sensitive the default.
Not fastest. Not all ports can handle the fastest. Anything over 100 is too fast for many, and 100 is pushing it in some cases.

I think the problem is initialization, not defaults. It sometimes works reasonable fast for him, but not at others. So it sounds like commands are getting missed or skipped sometimes, or a race condition is occurring. So send repeat initialization commands and pause IO activity to the port until they have been given long enough to take. If it would help, disable interrupts until it can initialize properly. Steps such as these shouldn't break what already works, but should get it to work on more hardware.

Not sure here, but imagine this to get an idea. Lets say you try to reset the port and set it to the controller default speed or a faster one. But then before that can finish, it is hit with other commands and forgets to finish initializing. The timing there may be right on the edge so it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But if a delay could be added to the first commands to make sure they can finish without interference, then it seems it would work more consistently.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Is mouse speed a sampling rate? I thought it was a scaling factor.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

erkinalp wrote:Is mouse speed a sampling rate? I thought it was a scaling factor.
I think it is a sampling rate.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

From a hardware point of view, the mouse speed is affected mainly by the resolution, which defines how many points of movement the device reports per physical millimeter.
The sampling rate says how many times per second the device issues interrupts, updates movement counters, reports data to the host and whatsoever. The scaling factor
defines if the movement counters are reported as is or reported as doubled to the host.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Another point to note is, when the mouse is very slow, it requires a lot of movement of the mouse for the pointer to move any distance. I have to lift the mouse up off of the desk and bring it back, so that I can move it again. In other words, I have to move the mouse about three (or more) times as far as I do when the mouse is working normally, for the pointer to travel the same distance. It's that bad I just re-boot and hope that it will be working at normal speed when it comes back to the desktop; but sometimes it is still very slow.

I have another problem with the mouse, which may or may not be linked; When I want to activate a desktop icon (open explorer), the first double click will not work, I have to do it again or right click and choose the Open menu.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

erkinalp wrote:Is mouse speed a sampling rate? I thought it was a scaling factor.
Yes, I got things confused a bit. I was thinking of the sampling rate. Like I said, I imagine there is a race condition or the chipset is taking commands a bit slower and getting new commands early on before it can finish. So the I/O speed or the scaling either one could be getting set only some of the time.

Or it could be a matter of corruption, where the wrong values sometimes get set when setting either the sampling rate or the scaling.

I still am betting on the sampling rate since the buttons sometimes get missed too. So that is the I/O speed that would affect that. That was why I asked if it was a USB mouse, since ROS' USB stuff is still buggy, and it could be going into 1.0 mode or something. But he is using the mouse socket.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Using a linux livecd in this computer, I have booted and re-booted several times, all without any mouse problem. So it looks like the problem is in ReactOS!
rachid

Post by rachid »

I had the problem that the mouse pointer is slow and i can't adjust mouse speed.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

There is no support for mouse speed in Win32k. No code and the rest is just blank.