Poll to choose exe files icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Choose an icon for exe file

Poll ended at Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:40 pm

icon 1
24%
icon 2
45%
icon 3
5%
icon 4
13%
icon 5
13%

Total votes: 38

rachid

Poll to choose exe files icon

Post by rachid »

According to CORE-10643 , we want to choose a default icon for exe files that has no icon.
Windows XP uses this one [ external image ] (if you don't know what you are voting for :D )

so... the icons to choose from:

[ external image ]

EDIT: poll results:

[ external image ]
Last edited by rachid on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konata

Re: Poll to choose exe files icon

Post by Konata »

I like 2. It's similar to the one in XP, but has a little gear which implies it's an executable. But it's not in your face about it like 3 is. IMO, XP's icon was always too vague for me, which is why I can't vote for 1. 4 is a good contender too, but I'm too used to seeing that in Ubuntu, I think ReactOS needs it's own icon. And 5 just looks like the desktop, that's really confusing.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Number 5 looks like an MDI dialog, which is pretty typical of Windows, I think that still makes sense given the context.
Unlike the other icons it follows the Tango guidelines while staying pretty distinguishable and visually appealing, instead of straightly cloning the original icon's shape.

I also like number 4, but for COM files, which are a bit more archaic. That diamond shaped icon looks a bit retro and fits the executable format for DOS apps.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
florian

Post by florian »

1 or 2 - and like Konata I voted for the second icon.
timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

I also agree with Konata. Maybe repurpose 5 for something else? I was thinking we can use it as a back to desktop shortcut or something.
middings

Post by middings »

I encounter more and more programs that use a gear to mean "options". Firefox is one such program. When I see the gear I expect a Control Panel applet.

I agree with Konata that Microsoft Windows XP's icon for .exe programs "was always too vague". The concept of executable-ness is vague. Some .exe programs run on the desktop, some start a Command Prompt windows in order to run. If one icon has to serve them both then by necessity that icon must be vague, I suppose.
reactosfanboy

Post by reactosfanboy »

I voted for 1.
But I could arrange with 1,2,4...

2 could be an issue with gear becoming unrecognizable in 16x16 (think Quicklaunch)
3 As middings I fear a gear is easy to be misunderstood as "options". And that one is too much "into your face"
4 Icon 4 has an interesting advantage compared to the others: it's very easy with it to spot an exe within explorer in a folder full of different files (think system32). I kind of liked that.
5 - I would never associate an exe with that icon, sorry...
manuel

Post by manuel »

Well, if the icon of gears is associated with options, 4 (tango) should then be discarded, do not believe?.
In addition most of the icons proposed (except 1 and 5) use a gear, I think that we should choose automatically the number 1 then.
Last edited by manuel on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Come on, only "strange" people would think that e.g. icon 2 would mean it means "option for a window" (especially when being placed in all the exes) ^^
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

The ones with gears remind me too much of .bat file icons, so that's not what I would choose. I actually like no. 4.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

fLuXx wrote:The ones with gears remind me too much of .bat file icons, so that's not what I would choose. I actually like no. 4.
I agree. 1-3 don't even look like they are from the Tango icon theme. 5 is better for an MDI app.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

My personal preference is one or four, but I voted for #1 for familiarity. 2 and 3 look like they would be some kind of configuration tool, and 5 looks like a task or desktop switcher.
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

Binary files such as .exe, .bin, .com -> 4
Script files such as .bat, .cmd, .sh -> 3

I voted 4.
ercanersoy

Post by ercanersoy »

I voted 4. This is figuring general of executable files.
merella

Post by merella »

The second one, for me is the best because resemble the windows one plus the gear from tango icon set