Why?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

newillusion

Why?

Post by newillusion »

Why you do it with site? Why?

Why site try to confuse readers?
Why site scare away potential developers?
Why user must scrolling endless "manuscript" in vain hope to find useful information?
In previous site version 1 screen = 10 screen in new site version... Why?
Scroll wheel of my mouse becomes red hot while i read the site. And my fingers holed my touchscreen...

Why?
ArmyMan007

Re: Why?

Post by ArmyMan007 »

I don't fully agree. I like the new design: it's fresh and user-friendly. Though there are a lot of things going on the homepage that could distract one's attention, it takes time to get used to.

All changes do take time to get used to :D
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

IMHO, it would have been better to release the new website along with 0.4.0. From a user perspective, I went here, and I thought, "WOW. They DID IT!" - And then... 0.3.17.
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

I would expect there will always be people who don't like new things and even ones that oppose to any change. But the site looks modern and might just attract new users, whereas old users who stuck with reactos for years will mostly not mind the new design. But I would second what Aeneas said, the site should've been launched with 0.4.0 rather than before it, to maximize the wow effect.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I tend to respect the opinions of others, but where does the site site try to confuse readers? Where does it scare away potential developers? What endless "manuscript"? The site is full of useful information.

Amine saw merit in releasing the website first to address feedback from our community, fix based on it, then release 0.4.0 so when visitors outside of our community come from the news, they find a settled website and not a work in progress website. 0.4.0 is so close you can hear it fallin down the stairs already btw ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

EmuandCo wrote:I tend to respect the opinions of others, but where does the site site try to confuse readers? Where does it scare away potential developers? What endless "manuscript"? The site is full of useful information.

Amine saw merit in releasing the website first to address feedback from our community, fix based on it, then release 0.4.0 so when visitors outside of our community come from the news, they find a settled website and not a work in progress website. 0.4.0 is so close you can hear it fallin down the stairs already btw ^^
I'm confident Vic worked his sucks off to make this work, and I'm for one happy with this change. Ever since 2009 I was hoping for a change :)

But I do agree that some information could be handled better. The home page is really good looking in my opinion, but the information on that page could be sorted or placed differently.

The only real issue I have is with the "Download" section, where the first two items on that page relates to donations, not the actual downloading part. The donation has its' own section, why would you insert these items into the download section?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Amine switched the download page from the help us section into popups of help when you click download of bootcd or livecd, inspired by other projects. Check the Ubuntu ones and you will see the similarity.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The site is a great improvement, if you can't see that then you aren't worthy to comment. Sorry but that is a fact.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

EmuandCo wrote:Amine switched the download page from the help us section into popups of help when you click download of bootcd or livecd, inspired by other projects. Check the Ubuntu ones and you will see the similarity.
That's what I wished for. Now it looks great! :)
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

BTW, I wish more pictures were added to the gallery section. You can pickup a lot of screenshots from the "EPIC WIN" thread. That's what it's there for :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A conscious decision was made to remove basically all of the 'technical' information from the main website and shove it all onto the wiki. This is why if you look at pages like installing-reactos or building-reactos you get a text blurb that gives you a few basic pieces of information but it doesn't go into detail. For the detail, it actually then directs you to the wiki. Or if you want to skip the market speech, just go right to the wiki and bypass the main site entirely. To be blunt, trying to maintain technical information on the main site was proving to be way too timeconsuming, especially since I was running very, very low on time to maintain the content as things changed behind the scenes. On the other hand there were some nice bits on the old site that aren't on the wiki and I'll be migrating all of that over to the wiki so that we have complete, useful guides on how to do things in one place and one place only instead of the spread we had before.
middings

Post by middings »

Aeneas wrote:IMHO, it would have been better to release the new website along with 0.4.0.
I disagree. Release 0.4.0 will bring a torrent of newbies to ReactOS.com. Solving web site bugs and 0.4.0 problems at the same time should be avoided. Most initial help newbies get comes from the ReactOS.com's regular visitors who are registered with the site. If the new web site design is tested and well understood by web site maintainers and the regular visitors to ReactOS.com then giving newbies help will be easier for everybody.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Wow, the change generated many new JIRA ONLINE reports, thus deepening the open to resolved ratio!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Suggestion for the next switch. Depending on the nick you login with you are forced on the new page. Thats a nice way to make ppl test the new one :P

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i do not like the new home page i am going to create a concept for how to improve the page layout