RosBE portable on usb!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bassa31

RosBE portable on usb!

Post by Bassa31 »

Hi community of reactos,
is there RosBE (reactos build environment) portable? Is it possible?
Thank you
Cheers
middings

Re: RosBE portable on usb!

Post by middings »

Is there a portable version of the ReactOS Build Environment (RosBE) available?

No. The ReactOS Project does not offer a portable version of RosBE.
Bassa31

Post by Bassa31 »

middings wrote:Is there a portable version of the ReactOS Build Environment (RosBE) available?

No. The ReactOS Project does not offer a portable version of RosBE.
Thank you for reply. Cheers
middings

Post by middings »

I haven't tried it myself but I see no obstacle to installing RosBE on a USB thumb drive, placing the Subversion (SVN) local repository on that same drive, then running RosBE from that drive. Drawbacks to this solution include:
  • Some fussing with drive letters may be required as the USB thumb drive is moved from PC to PC.
  • Only the basic command line interface using Command Prompt would be available. I believe the PowerShell version of RosBE requires its own key added to the Windows registry.
  • The Tortoise SVN client could not be used because it is a shell extension (this also blocks Tortoise from being made portable in the customary way).
  • SVN passwords may be left behind on the PC from which RosBE was run.
Or just buy a laptop and put your RosBE on it. That's very portable. :lol:
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have done some testing for this on Windows XP, and my conclusion is, it is too problematic!

Checking out the trunk with Tortoise to the hard drive takes approx 8 minutes, transferring it to the USB stick takes approx 24 minutes, but checking out trunk directly to the USB stick takes x hours more than 8 hours (I abandoned it). Both Tortoise and RapidSVN are extremely slow when checking out the trunk to the USB stick.

RosBE can be installed to a USB stick, but requires "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd" to run (copy the RosBE shortcut from the Desktop to the USB stick). I got some errors (may not be related to using it from a USB stick) when I ran it, so I abandoned trying to compile trunk.

RapidSVN is a stand-alone application that you can get from here http://www.rapidsvn.org/download/releas ... 1-8257.exe
It is cross-platform, so there should be a UNIX version (http://www.rapidsvn.org/).

If you decide to give it a go, then let us know how you got on?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Bassa31

Post by Bassa31 »

oldman wrote:I have done some testing for this on Windows XP, and my conclusion is, it is too problematic!

Checking out the trunk with Tortoise to the hard drive takes approx 8 minutes, transferring it to the USB stick takes approx 24 minutes, but checking out trunk directly to the USB stick takes x hours more than 8 hours (I abandoned it). Both Tortoise and RapidSVN are extremely slow when checking out the trunk to the USB stick.

RosBE can be installed to a USB stick, but requires "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd" to run (copy the RosBE shortcut from the Desktop to the USB stick). I got some errors (may not be related to using it from a USB stick) when I ran it, so I abandoned trying to compile trunk.

RapidSVN is a stand-alone application that you can get from here http://www.rapidsvn.org/download/releas ... 1-8257.exe
It is cross-platform, so there should be a UNIX version (http://www.rapidsvn.org/).

If you decide to give it a go, then let us know how you got on?
Me too... When I build iso, I wait ~ 5 hours \0/ it s impossible.....
nh__

Post by nh__ »

usb 3.0?
Or usb 2.0???...
oldman

Post by oldman »

nh__ wrote:usb 3.0?
Or usb 2.0???...
USB 2.
The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.