About the office suite on the roadmap...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

frmariam

About the office suite on the roadmap...

Post by frmariam »

On the course o my many freware scavanging years, I've come across 2 free office suites which can replace MS Office in most cases and have the big plus on not being written in Java (my old laptop had quite dated harware so resource usage was an important criteria in selecting software).

When the time comes, if the big roadblock for delaying a major release is not having achieved full MS Office support (or an OpenOffice variant), I suggest aiming for compatibility with either SoftMaker Office (Freeoffice) or WPS Office (Kingsoft Office). They are very nice, quite smaller than MS but fully featured and though not open source they are free:

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download-f ... ile-office
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/software/k ... e-freeware

What do you guys think?
gauron

Re: About the office suite on the roadmap...

Post by gauron »

EDIT : Misread your post ;)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I will presume the mentioned "office suite written in Java" is LibreOffice. Let me invalidate that.

LibreOffice is not written in Java per se. Most of all the code is not Java, but C++ and Python. See this link for what remains in Java - mostly Android port (obviously - nothing relevant to ReactOS, though), extensions and unit tests (used when building, not in final product): https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java
It's also possible to build with --without-java parameter to have it 100% Java-free, if you really feel the need.

As a note, this information is relevant to v4.2 which is already 2 years old; I expect the trend (in throwing what little remains written in Java out of the shipped codebase) to continue since then :-)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What roadmap? What mention of office suite?
frmariam

Post by frmariam »

Thanks for the info about LibreOffice, Black_Fox .
At one point I tried making OpenOffice my only office solution (before 2010) and it failed miserably. Since then I haven't done any serious testing (especially since I saw Java was still a requirement). As a user I try to stay away from anything Java and C# (or any other 3rd party hefty requirements).

About the roadmap, I was refering to the brief mention at the end of the meeting minutes news entry (in the frontpage). I recon those were only some topics to guide the elaboration of a roadmap but seems that fully supporting an office suite will be a requirement for a (hopefully) near future release.
I haven't done any serious testing but both office suits seem to be at least partially functional in the live CD (added the program folder to a SVN iso with UltraIso and gave it a quick whirl under MobaLiveCD). Softmaker can't cope with the LiveCD not having a place to write temp files to.

PS: At some point, it would be nice to have some sort of "temp" support in the live CD (write files to RAM?).
I have tried some apps that create Live XP iso but I believe only an OS design to support such functions natively may ever be closer to live Linux distros like Slax.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That's not an actual roadmap, that's yet another proposal by someone in the team to try to get a discussion started on making an actual one. If past precedence is any indication this attempt will be no more successful than the last three attempts.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

LibreOffice is listed in RAPPS and seems (or seemed) to work passably. At least that's what I heard, but don't take my word for it.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Newest does not. 5.0.5 Long term should do though
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...