EPIC WIN!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

karlexceed

Re: EPIC WIN!

Post by karlexceed »

The perfect example of one of many ROS's niche use cases! Very cool!
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

JHKr0md1yk wrote:Here's something I've found on a geek site a that I frequent as a guest which should definitely count as an EPIC WIN! for the project.

http://tweakers.net/downloads/37359/rea ... #r_8554629

If the link turns out dead at one point just trim everything after the question mark and scroll down to the reply in question (if you can read Dutch that is). Here's my translation of that.

:-) Point taken :-)

We've got 2 ReactOS machines running a data acquisition system with a PCI card for which only Windows NT5.x drivers exist. Manufacturer went bust years ago.

There is a similar system of another manufacturer but that one costs €100.000,- (measurement card + software), and doesn't exactly have the same range of measurement as our current gear. If we would be switching to said new system we've got to put adjustment filters between the probes and the measurement card (which needs to be custom made). We also have to redo all our reference measurements to calibrate the new equipment in order to align the measurements with those gathered from the old gear (several hundreds, 2-3 hours per measurement)

We've calculated what it would cost us to switch to the new equipment begin 2015, and estimated an amount of over € 3.000.000 ,- including hardware, software and man-hours. For something that's going to net us only an estimated 2,5 millions and goes end-of-life by the end 2017 the choice for going with ReactOS until 2017 4Q was easily made.

Looks like not only John & Jane Does are taking note of ReactOS, it is actually being used in a professional setting in companies.
interesting idea but not a good idea they are probably better to stick with windows NT5.x and take the machine offline Reactos is not stable enough and probably has a lot of security holes

Edit 1
dsp8195 wrote:
CircularTriangle06 wrote:Zoom 3 demo reel works. r71329, was tested on VBox with 2.9GB memory, with sound and Additions.
There is significant sound desync and very minor graphics mismatches, speech synthesis is disabled.
[ external image ]
This is a 64kb demo, not "demo reel". Speech synthesis uses MS Agent and Microsoft Sam engine, which is non-existent in both Wine and ReactOS.

Now if someone could test Doom 3 under ReactOS, since they use pretty much the same set of shaders and effects.
i have the retail release of Doom 3 and the expansion Resurrection of Evil and doom 3 bfg edition (big f****** gun) http://www.iodoom3.org/
JHKr0md1yk

Post by JHKr0md1yk »

MadWolf wrote:
JHKr0md1yk wrote:Here's something I've found on a geek site a that I frequent as a guest which should definitely count as an EPIC WIN! for the project.

http://tweakers.net/downloads/37359/rea ... #r_8554629

If the link turns out dead at one point just trim everything after the question mark and scroll down to the reply in question (if you can read Dutch that is). Here's my translation of that.

:-) Point taken :-)

We've got 2 ReactOS machines running a data acquisition system with a PCI card for which only Windows NT5.x drivers exist. Manufacturer went bust years ago.

There is a similar system of another manufacturer but that one costs €100.000,- (measurement card + software), and doesn't exactly have the same range of measurement as our current gear. If we would be switching to said new system we've got to put adjustment filters between the probes and the measurement card (which needs to be custom made). We also have to redo all our reference measurements to calibrate the new equipment in order to align the measurements with those gathered from the old gear (several hundreds, 2-3 hours per measurement)

We've calculated what it would cost us to switch to the new equipment begin 2015, and estimated an amount of over € 3.000.000 ,- including hardware, software and man-hours. For something that's going to net us only an estimated 2,5 millions and goes end-of-life by the end 2017 the choice for going with ReactOS until 2017 4Q was easily made.

Looks like not only John & Jane Does are taking note of ReactOS, it is actually being used in a professional setting in companies.
interesting idea but not a good idea they are probably better to stick with windows NT5.x and take the machine offline Reactos is not stable enough and probably has a lot of security holes
I don't think that that setup is connected to the worldwide Internet, maybe, at most, to the company's local Intranet behind a firewall. Probably running standalone. But regardless of your point, they apparently made ROS work for them, and at one point in the future the OS has to be able to run in real-life scenarios such as this in general.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The point is that ReactOS becomes usable, whether Alpha or not, when it performs a discrete task successfully. So, if it works for you in one respect then it is usable. As a general o/s it would not be recommended but for specific, measurable tasks it is usable now as long as it works.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Doom 3 retail + Resurrection of Evil expansion + 1.3.1 patch
the game appears to be playable BUT the audio seems to work
Edit the audio works at the main menu but when you start a new game the audio doesn't work
ReactOS 0.4.1
installed on windows and copied to Reactos the hard drive the installer fails to run on Reactos
edit 2 VirtualBox 5.0.16

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Edit
.webm
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwWvC ... XBjYUgxWjg
.mp4
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwWvC ... GU4akZucHM

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15470
Last edited by MadWolf on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
shutzescu

Post by shutzescu »

Hi!
I've been watching both website and forum and testing ReactOS releases since 2006.
I hope (as everybody in the community) someday in the near future it will be my primary OS.
Until then... i finally managed to get the sound to work and i will post some program testing results (mostly audio-related).

HipHop eJay 2
Program installs, installer does not create shortcuts. Sound is working ok, everything is working ok, except some minor visual glitches, but when i play a song the CPU stays at 100% and after some time the program will not respond anymore, although the song continues to play.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Dance eJay 3 Demo Version
Same behavior as HipHop eJay 2, minus the CPU loading and the freeze problem.

[ external image ]

OpenMPT 1.25.04.00 (Open ModPlug Tracker - last version)
Installs ok, it runs, but freezes when i try to play a song/pattern with default audio settings. After some adjustments in sound card settings (decreased sampling rate from 48000 Hz to 44100 Hz, increased period time to 10.00 ms and unchecked boost thread priority button) it plays the song, but the pattern do not follow the notes (doesn't scroll).

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

ReactOS 0.4.1
VirtualBox 5.0.20, 1024 MB of RAM, VT-x/AMD-V turned off.
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz
3 GB of RAM
Offtopic: i have an account which is more than 10 years old, with username "SHUTZ", and at this moment is no longer active. I kindly ask an Administrator or Moderator of this forum to re-activate it, because i want to use that account from now on.
Thanks!
fennec

Post by fennec »

MadWolf wrote:Doom 3 retail + Resurrection of Evil expansion + 1.3.1 patch
the game appears to be playable BUT the audio seems to work
Edit the audio works at the main menu but when you start a new game the audio doesn't work
ReactOS 0.4.1
installed on windows and copied to Reactos the hard drive the installer fails to run on Reactos
Impressive !
shutzescu

Post by shutzescu »

GoldWave 5.70 (trial, last 32 bit version, similar to Audacity)
I can install and run the program, edit audio files, add effects etc. but it has no audio output - it seems that the program doesn't find an audio device for playback.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

REAPER 5.2.0 Digital Audio Workstation (evaluation version)
Installer works, creates shortcuts on desktop and start menu, the program runs, sound is scrambled/broken.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

FL Studio 4.1.0 (evaluation version)
Same as above, but the program don't see the audio device, plus it has various cosmetic problems (windows drawing issues).

[ external image ]

DC++ 0.851 (last version)
I can't get the public hub list. I tried different connection settings. When it starts, it says something about TCP port. I don't know if this is related to ReactOS TCP/IP stack or if it has something to do with VirtualBox itself.

[ external image ]

Sorry for the long post!

ReactOS 0.4.1
VirtualBox 5.0.20, 1024 MB of RAM, VT-x/AMD-V turned off.
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz
3 GB of RAM
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Not at all, it is a good post!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

doom 3 dedicated server there is a font rendering bug but i have only tested as a Lan server

[ external image ]

source dedicated server DIPRIP i used the steamcmd on windows to download the files then i copied D.I.P.R.I.P. Dedicated Server folder to the reactos hard drive

[ external image ]

stexbar right click context menu works but the windows explorer toolbar browser helper object does not work
Last edited by MadWolf on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

MadWolf wrote:Doom 3 retail + Resurrection of Evil expansion + 1.3.1 patch
please, record the video and share with me. I will upload it on official youtube channel.
obi1

Post by obi1 »

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

No$GBA Emulator works fairly well, but there is no sound (I tried changing each setting). Tested with Pokemon Emerald, no issues. When the settings menu is open the graphics are distorted, normally it never happens, I will test to see if this happens in Windows.
CircularTriangle06

Post by CircularTriangle06 »

Latest UDFS patches (bugtracker CORE-9816) made it possible to install FarCry from its DVD. It doesn't run (and that is not a VM fault), both applications hang. Configurator program starts but hangs either on Video(simple) tab, or if any of Detect buttons is pressed.
[ external image ]
That is on VBox 5.0.20 with working Sound and Additions and DirectX runtime.
Some of it must be related to problem that DirectDraw (for example, DxDiag.exe DirectDraw test) begins to hang once Additions are installed.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

CircularTriangle06 wrote:It doesn't run (and that is not a VM fault), both applications hang. Configurator program starts but hangs
Please report that bug!
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

I've tested WinQuake, or Quake I for windows on real hardware. No screenshot, no joy and no sound.