is RosBE 2.1.4 compatible with ROS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black_Fox

is RosBE 2.1.4 compatible with ROS?

Post by Black_Fox »

https://www.dreimer.de/?p=1393
Updated SVN to 1.9.5
On the other hand I saw r74162 downgrading SVN 1.9.5 to 1.8.14 to keep WinXP support.

So I wonder, is it possible to experiment with building ReactOS on ReactOS using the latest RosBE 2.1.4?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: is RosBE 2.1.4 compatible with ROS?

Post by EmuandCo »

Reread my commit... We downgraded TortoiseSVN in RAPPS. And why do you ask? Try it and tell us ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I've read your commit well the first time already, let me explain my train of thought :-)
- TSVN in RAPPS was downgraded because the newer version doesn't support WinXP anymore (I suppose whole NT5)
- ReactOS is based on NT5
- RosBE contains SVN

-> won't be able to run on ROS, unless there is a discrepancy between TSVN and SVN OS requirements...

EDIT: May try it at the end of March, not enough time until then to do it properly...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

TSVN (aka TortoiseSVN) is mostly a GUI and because of this (they use fancy GUI Aero stuff that only exists on Vista+) (so, because of this, and may be because of few other things as well), they have removed the support for Windows <= 2k3/XP.
SVN is on the contrary a command-line tool from Apache, so it has nothing per se with TSVN (apart from the fact that both of them are for using SVN repos).
Therefore these two tools can have completely system requirements.
Daniel hasn't touched the version of the SVN cmdline tool used in RosBE, therefore there's nothing to fear.
middings

Post by middings »

hbelusca wrote:SVN is on the contrary a command-line tool from Apache, so it has nothing per se with TSVN (apart from the fact that both of them are for using SVN repos).
Thank you for the explanation.

I've been using RosBE-Windows 2.1.4. I downloaded it from the SourceForge ReactOS page. So far, it has been working well on my development machine equipped with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3. The problems I had with RosBE-Windows 2.1.3 (see JIRA issue ROSBE-84) are gone. Because I've seen no announcement of RosBE-Windows 2.1.4, I wonder if this is a release candidate or the bugfix release itself. Either way, I appreciate the work of Daniel Reimer and others to fix RosBE.

I'm looking forward to ReactOS becoming stable enough and compatible enough with my test PC to try self-hosting ReactOS on that computer.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Self-hosting RosBE is an important stability milestone.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

For further reference: CORE-4937
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Fastfat got quite some work last year. Worth a try I would say. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

There already is FullFAT(a fat.sys replacement), why is FastFAT clone worked on?
middings

Post by middings »

FullFat's license is crippled by virtue signalling restrictions here and here.
https://github.com/jameswalmsley/FullFAT

Search the ReactOS forums for FullFAT.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

https://github.com/jameswalmsley/FullFA ... ctions.txt
Those are classic U.S. export restrictions.
middings

Post by middings »

Sorry, I misunderstood the intent of the extra license restrictions. I thought James Walmsley is a Brit perhaps residing in Austria. It was good of him to consider U.S. export restrictions I suppose.

But what if the British Navy wants to upgrade their Windows for Warships installations to ReactOS? And we must think ahead, the British Navy's two new aircraft carriers will enter service in 2020 and they will require a supported OS for their systems. No more Microsoft Windows XP for new ships said the British Ministry of Defence. (I saw this all on The Register so I'm completely misinformed.) Can ReactOS fill the gap when Windows 7 reaches its 2020 End of Life date? :lol:
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Maybe. BTW, FullFAT commercial licensing is an alternative to GPLv3, not restriction on it. Unfortunately GPL does not have reciprocal licensing scheme which puts copyright holder in the same contractual obligations as licensees have(if GPL were reciprocal, copyright holder ould not have licensed the product to someone else under non-GPL license).
Last edited by erkinalp on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

middings wrote: But what if the British Navy wants to upgrade their Windows for Warships installations to ReactOS? And we must think ahead, the British Navy's two new aircraft carriers will enter service in 2020 and they will require a supported OS for their systems. No more Microsoft Windows XP for new ships said the British Ministry of Defence. (I saw this all on The Register so I'm completely misinformed.) Can ReactOS fill the gap when Windows 7 reaches its 2020 End of Life date? :lol:
I know this comment above is tongue-in-cheek but a real response here would be: "not a chance in hell". Companies supplying US and UK militaries are paranoid about the involvement of any developers from the old Eastern bloc. I have tried to sell DEC Vax/Alpha hardware emulators to such organisations and the provenance of the code and a mention of Russia is enough to scupper any purchase...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

ninja.exe foes not work anymore in ReactOS