itunes, please

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eneville

itunes, please

Post by eneville »

Could some time be spent getting iTunes to work please? I cannot see the installer!

If you need any debug info from my end, please let me know and I'll do what I can to collect data.

Thanks
dizt3mp3r

Re: itunes, please

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You are aware that ReactOS is in Alpha stage? Follow this link:

https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

dizt, be nice.

enevilla, please make a ticket over at ReactOS JIRA here: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

The login is the same as the forum login. However, please note that iTunes request will probably very low priority as I haven't really seen anyone make a request for it and there are much other things to do now.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I was as nice as I can be... there is an issue with users turning up and thinking they can just run their software on ReactOS, they do not realise that ReactOS is Alpha. A quick read of that link is enough to resolve the problem for the moment. It is the same response I provide to others.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
verserk

Post by verserk »

Now I'm curious if alternatives like copyTrans manager work in ROS, BRB.

edit: the installer can't connect to the internet, so unless there is an offline installer copyTrans has issues too.
ReactOS: HP pavilion dv6500.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Old thread has been resurrected from the dead... but not by me.

While I am here though, I tried to import some Christmas carols from my Win7 box to my iphone 4s. Took me 50 minutes to find out how. After finally succeeding I realised why there were so many blockages in the way to achieving such a simple task, Apple wanted to make it as difficult as possible as the last thing they want you to do is to transfer some MP3s or WAVs to the iphone.

-oOo-

1. Tried to open the iphone in iTunes to see what it had loaded, utterly unintuitive interface hid the iphone device at all attempts to discover it. Eventually found the device but still don't know how.

2. Tried to clear the iphone device by deleting all the current tracks, found no multiple delete option, can only delete track by track, would have taken hours. Gave up.

3. Tried to clear the iphone device by deleting all the current tracks using iTunes, found no multiple delete option. Searched on the net for this ability and found it was hidden by default. Enabled manual file handling, was able to delete the tracks on the device. Task performed, checked device, all tracks still present - you have to SYNC the device. Done. Tracks gone.

4. Tried to drag/drop the MP3s onto the iphone using the shared file system area that pops up in Explorer when you connect your iphone cable. NOPE, won't let you.

5. Tried to drag/drop the MP3s directly onto the device area using iTunes, NOPE, won't let you.

6. Tried to find a method to import some tracks, eventually found an almost-hidden option to import a folder, pops up appeared in two locations that related to copying some/all tracks which it ignored. Status appears at the top of the screen and status needs to be derived from which track is being copied/imported. When complete no success pop-up occurred and no indication that the task had completed. Performed it a couple of times before I found the tracks successfully in iTunes. Counter-intuitive process, unhelpful. 20 mins to import a few hundred tracks.

7. Finally realise that a synch. is required for each action. The synch is triggered and takes a further 20 mins for iTunes to move the files to the iphone in some form or another.

8. Insufficient space on the device resulted in an itunes hang during the synch. no message, nothing, kill iTunes to continue.

9. When I look at the iphone device the folder structure has been lost and the files are lumped onto the iphone with less control as to what I want to play than the PC. When plugged into the iphone speaker it kept playing from a folder I would have preferred not to play, just wanted to be able to select a folder but it is no longer organised in folder form!

10. This whole process was compounded by itunes taking three to five seconds to respond to each and every keypress. So ruddy slow as to be almost unusable on my otherwise quick and snappy laptop.

Reason why I am going into this level of detail? I want to make it clear that if iTunes NEVER functions on ReactOS I, for one will be enormously happy. ITunes has no place on any Windows PC ever. It is by far the worst software I have ever been forced to use. Itunes on ReactOS would be a travesty...

PS. Of course it HAS to be this bad. Apple don't want you to use it. I am surprised that it does not explode taking your PC with it. APPLE I HATE YOU.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Did not want to write here!!!
But dizt3mp3r's last post poped up a question in my mind.
Why would one want to run itunes on Windows?
Isn't it just a media player?
milon

Post by milon »

It's also (supposed to be) a way to manage your iTunes media. You can manage what's on your iPod, purchase content, listen to podcasts, etc. But as dizt3mp3r pointed out, it's a pretty awful system to use.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Wait. Wait. Wait.
That means one needs iTunes only if s/he has an iPod?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

iphone,ipad,ipod