Wannacry Compatibility ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Wannacry Compatibility ?

Post by Adcock »

Does wanacry affect ReactOS?
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Wannacry Compatibility ?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I am not sure if it would work itself, but you should know that the Wannacry ransomware targeted a specific vulnerability in Windows that opened up in some point in time and was fixed in March 2017, 2 months before the outbreak. The ones who were effected were on outdated systems. Luckily, MS was nice enough to release a emergency update for XP users to resolve this (Vista already had the fix before it went EOL). This vulnerability most likely doesn't exist in ReactOS, so you shouldn't worry too much about Wannacry, however, someone can always try to install it manually on someones system to see if it works or not.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

WannaCry bases upon EternalBlue exploit from Microsoft SMB protocol. At the moment ReactOS doesn't have a SMB protocol yet or it is not prone to this exploit as Microsoft's SMB protocol does. ReactOS will most likely hang but no malicious actions are guaranteed by WannaCry.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Ouuu...
Don't get me wrong.
If ReactOS is wannacry compatible then that means ReactOS is super compatible with MS Windows.
It's about binary compatibility.
Do you feel it guys?
:D
Okay.
One thing is unclear to me.
Is SMB a way which wannacry uses to get into XP?
If yes then if we manually get it in XP it should do the thing, right?
Or does it need internet even after getting into XP to do its thing?
Hope I was able to make you understand.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Adcock wrote: Is SMB a way which wannacry uses to get into XP?
If yes then if we manually get it in XP it should do the thing, right?
Or does it need internet even after getting into XP to do its thing?
The Wannacry used a vulnerability in SMB to gain access to systems. The vulnerability is no longer there so as long as you keep your system updated and if you install the emergency update for XP, if you are on XP. Vista should be OK as long as you have all the updates.

All Malware need some type of internet connection in order to send information back home. Of course, it will still damage/infected your system without internet. I always tell users when they get infected, always disconnect your Ethernet cord, never disable your internet through Windows, as malware can always turn it back on.
Last edited by ROCKNROLLKID on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Thx guys.
Time to install Wannacry!
justincase

Post by justincase »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:All Malware need some type of internet connection to work in order to send information back home.
Not true. Malware just means bad software. If I write a program that makes Windows inoperable on your computer and I don't make it 'phone home' to tell me about it, it's still doing bad things to your computer, it's still malware, and it needs no internet connection, only some method of getting onto your computer (e.g. a flash drive, cd, etc.).
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Great. My bandwidth won't be wasted.
Hope wannacry works without Internet.
I have ElementaryOS on my laptop.
So wannacry will be safely transferred to ReactOS.
The only remaining question is where to get it?
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Adcock wrote:Hope wannacry works without Internet.
WannaCry doesn't need internet connection to deploy its malware payload.
Adcock wrote:The only remaining question is where to get it?
I have the binary source of this rogue ransomware but I'm not going to share here to the public. Open your Discord and we'll talk,
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

You already have it? :shock:
Then why would I need it?
Did you try it on ReactOS?
Did it work?
Did it encrypt something?

Sorry. Can't open Discord now.
middings

Post by middings »

Oleg Dubinskij recently reported successfully running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.4.1028 on ReactOS in the Epic Win topic. Dubinskij used ReactOS Build 20171229-0.4.8-dev-548-g89f9c91.GNU_4.7.2. This nightly build can be obtained by going to the Download ReactOS Builds page then entering 89f9c91 into the revision search box and pressing Enter.

Dubinskij apparently loaded the Wanna Crypt (aka "Wanncry") virus onto a PC with ReactOS to see if Malwarebytes could detect it. (it could.) The details of how Wannacry was placed into the test PC's memory or hard disc are not available.

Any interested person can try to reproduce Dubinskij's experiment with ReactOS. Download that build and obtain the Malwarebytes trial version from the Malwarebytes web page.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Malwarebytes is no target.
It is Wannacry which is the topic.
milon

Post by milon »

True, but you need some way of knowing if Wanna Cry infected ReactOS or not, otherwise it's a useless procedure.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

justincase wrote:
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:All Malware need some type of internet connection to work in order to send information back home.
Not true. Malware just means bad software. If I write a program that makes Windows inoperable on your computer and I don't make it 'phone home' to tell me about it, it's still doing bad things to your computer, it's still malware, and it needs no internet connection, only some method of getting onto your computer (e.g. a flash drive, cd, etc.).
I said it will run without internet, but needs internet to send information back home. Of course it can load onto a USB plugged in then load onto a PC that does have internet, but this is very unlikely to happen.
justincase

Post by justincase »

I was referring to your blanket statement that "All Malware need some type of internet connection to work in order to send information back home" because not all malware even tries to send info 'back home', but that doesn't disqualify it from being called malware, so "All Malware need some type of internet connection to work..." is false, and even if you didn't mean it that way, that's what you wrote, and I can just about guarantee that someone will read that and think you mean that malware won't adversely affect their PC if they get it infected while not connected to the internet, and wether they believe you or not, that's spreading misinformation which could potentially lead to someone screwing up their PC.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.