Rails Girls Summer of Code is still accpeting applications

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ROCKNROLLKID

Rails Girls Summer of Code is still accpeting applications

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

This will be my last topic about interns. Just saw that Rails Girls Summer of Code is still accepting open-source projects, up until the 28th. This is a lot like GSoC, except it's for female coders. Any project can apply, just the interns have to be female or "non-binary". Check it out here: https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org

Hopefully this helps get more programmers for ReactOS.
val

Re: Rails Girls Summer of Code is still accpeting applicatio

Post by val »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:This will be my last topic about interns. Just saw that Rails Girls Summer of Code is still accepting open-source projects, up until the 28th. This is a lot like GSoC, except it's for female coders. Any project can apply, just the interns have to be female or "non-binary". Check it out here: https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org

Interesting. What if one lies about it, how they are gonna check it?
[ external image ]
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

val wrote:
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:This will be my last topic about interns. Just saw that Rails Girls Summer of Code is still accepting open-source projects, up until the 28th. This is a lot like GSoC, except it's for female coders. Any project can apply, just the interns have to be female or "non-binary". Check it out here: https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org

Interesting. What if one lies about it, how they are gonna check it?
I thought the same, too. Maybe they have to provide some kind of ID or something. Anyways, that is a problem Rails would need to resolve, not ReactOS.
val

Post by val »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: I thought the same, too. Maybe they have to provide some kind of ID or something. Anyways, that is a problem Rails would need to resolve, not ReactOS.
That's not a problem, that's a pure fun! (Especially "resolving" it :lol: )
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

it would be discrimination if they only accepted girls.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

learn_more wrote:it would be discrimination if they only accepted girls.
Clearly, they must have a exception for guys. https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/about/team/

Anyways, will the ReactOS team be participating in this?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

This seems to be (by name) geared toward Rails development. Not sure if it would be much use to ROS (C/C++).
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

karlexceed wrote:This seems to be (by name) geared toward Rails development. Not sure if it would be much use to ROS (C/C++).
Not sure. Honestly I think it's just the name. There isn't anything indicating that students and projects need to be written in rails.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Not necessarily, as males have traditionally had all the privilege and opportunities for so long. IMHO, most guys who complain about this are crying crocodile tears and mourning the loss of getting to have control and advantage over women for so long. When someone has unfair advantage and then loses it, of course they will cry foul.

Now I find the "non-binary" part to be offensive, though it doesn't necessarily offend me (finding a concept offensive is not the same as personally being offended). Most TS or TG people consider themselves all one gender or the other. There are plenty of TSs who refuse to be lumped in with TGs (or even gays) and who would take offense to being called non-binary or being lumped in with those who deliberately and unnecessarily choose to vary their gender. They see themselves as having been born with a birth defect, they correct it, move on, and assimilate into one gender or the other, taking pains for others to not know. That is why genuine transsexuals (as opposed to mere transgenders) transition, to fit into the gender binary and to be cured of their condition.

And also, if this is considered, why not Outreachy? It is for women, ethnic minorities, and transpeople.
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Clearly, they must have a exception for guys. https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/about/team/

Anyways, will the ReactOS team be participating in this?
The guys there are likely transmen (started as girls, at least biologically). They would fit under the "non-binary" clause.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Not necessarily, as males have traditionally had all the privilege and opportunities for so long.
this is a non-argument.
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
Does not matter which sex you exclude, if you exclude solely on the base of sex, it's racism.
no matter how you try to twist it.
middings

Post by middings »

Not "racism" but 'sexism'.
milon

Post by milon »

You can try to argue that it's sexist or not, but they're an organization that exists to level the playing field for all genders. Doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, and it's not like they're actively causing problems for males as far as I can tell (and I'm a male).
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
karlexceed wrote:This seems to be (by name) geared toward Rails development. Not sure if it would be much use to ROS (C/C++).
Not sure. Honestly I think it's just the name. There isn't anything indicating that students and projects need to be written in rails.
Well I did a little research on the team, and I think you were right. While it doesn't really specify anywhere that it is for ruby on rails, it seems most to all of the team are ruby developers. So ReactOS wouldn't really benefit from this. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Outreachy, as PurpleGurl said, might be more for ReactOS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

7 days of holidays for PurpleGurl.
I have a 0-tolerance way to go with extremist sexism, racism or whatever extremist crapload exists out there. As German I have a big problem with the stupid argument that in the past some ppl were soooo evil and you are the ancestors and thus are wevuuuul too!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...