Year 2038 problem

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdrianGlowacki

Year 2038 problem

Post by AdrianGlowacki »

Welcome whether will Reactos have a problem on January 19, 2038 or no? Whether ReactOS using 32 bit time?
Fraizeraust

Re: Year 2038 problem

Post by Fraizeraust »

Based from my current knowledge, Windows doesn't use a signed 32-bit integer to store the timestamp so the problem doesn't concern us whatsoever. There was a topic before that users discussed about this, maybe it is in the Off-Topic section.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

middings

Post by middings »

Thank you for the link, karlexceed.

The original poster (OP) should have performed a search of the forums for "2038" before posting.
Konata

Post by Konata »

This isn't a "Year 2038" problem, it's a "Linux developers are dumb as bricks" problem, every other Unix hardened against this about a decade before Linux did, and of course Windows has always used 64-bit time.
I love it when the world panics over Linux being garbage, you'd think they'd learn by now. At least Sony did the right thing using FreeBSD for the PS4.
AdrianGlowacki

Post by AdrianGlowacki »

I do not know. Others write something else that the problem of the year also has windows (only 32 bit) and on the other hand actually writes here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_%28 ... ce_date%29 that the time of Windows begins on 1 January 1601 so I do not know . Now I'm lost in all this. :?:
middings

Post by middings »

AdrianGlowacki wrote:I do not know. Others write something else that the problem of the year also has windows (only 32 bit) and on the other hand actually writes here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_%28 ... ce_date%29 that the time of Windows begins on 1 January 1601 so I do not know . Now I'm lost in all this. :?:
AdrianGlowaki, the '32' of 32-bit Microsoft Windows or ReactOS refers to the length of the address pointers used by the operating system. The '32' is not a limitation of the length in bits of a piece of internal data used by the operating system or application programs. Even the now-obsolete 16-bit Windows (such as Microsoft Windows 3.1) could keep time using 64 bits.
Konata

Post by Konata »

AdrianGlowacki wrote:I do not know. Others write something else that the problem of the year also has windows (only 32 bit) and on the other hand actually writes here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_%28 ... ce_date%29 that the time of Windows begins on 1 January 1601 so I do not know . Now I'm lost in all this. :?:
You should probably actually learn about this stuff instead of screaming "the world is ending in the year 2000 because of all the broken computers". And maybe stop listening to whatever morons are telling you that a computer can't represent data larger than it's bus size.
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

Konata wrote:You should probably actually learn about this stuff instead of screaming "the world is ending in the year 2000 because of all the broken computers". And maybe stop listening to whatever morons are telling you that a computer can't represent data larger than it's bus size.
And you should stop being such an arrogant asshole.

[Edited to avoid misunderstandings]
Last edited by Forever Winter on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianGlowacki

Post by AdrianGlowacki »

Konata wrote:
You should probably actually learn about this stuff instead of screaming "the world is ending in the year 2000 because of all the broken computers". And maybe stop listening to whatever morons are telling you that a computer can't represent data larger than it's bus size.
I do not shout only I'm interested in the problem of 2038 year.
Forever Winter wrote:And you should stop being such an arrogant asshole.
I'm not an arrogant asshole!
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

AdrianGlowacki wrote:I'm not an arrogant asshole!
My post was directed at Konata, not at you.
AdrianGlowacki

Post by AdrianGlowacki »

Forever Winter Ops Sorry :(
AdrianGlowacki

Post by AdrianGlowacki »

I have one more question, what does "AD 30,828" mean? At https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_time, he writes that Windows has its beginning and the end of time from January 1, 1601 to AD 30,828. In which day, month, year and at what time does the Windows era end?
verserk

Post by verserk »

Konata wrote:This isn't a "Year 2038" problem, it's a "Linux developers are dumb as bricks" problem, every other Unix hardened against this about a decade before Linux did, and of course Windows has always used 64-bit time.
I love it when the world panics over Linux being garbage, you'd think they'd learn by now. At least Sony did the right thing using FreeBSD for the PS4.
Jeez, tell us how you really feel...
ReactOS: HP pavilion dv6500.
val

Post by val »

smells like a couple of linuxoids had expereinced a bit of butthurt, :D
by the way, "arrogant asshole" - this is an exact definition of a linux kernel developer. isn't it?

there is no such a problem, that's the answer, Adrian, be happy. The galaxy is not endangered. :)