How to create live USB from Linux?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

fusion809

How to create live USB from Linux?

Post by fusion809 »

Hi,

I want to install ReactOS from a live USB, but I'm having difficulty creating the live USB. The problem is my PC only has Linux distributions installed on it and the live USB creation instructions at the wiki use Rufus, which is a Windows-only tool to my understanding. I have tried using UNetBootin (with /dev/sdc1 being the sole partition on the USB, it is formatted as FAT32), but the live USB was not detected as a boot option when I rebooted (I pressed F9 to see available bootloaders, it wasn't listed, that's what I mean). I also tried the ol' fashion way of creating live USBs on Linux, using dd, but it failed to be detected too (I suspect it's only suitable for Linux distros).

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
dizt3mp3r

Re: How to create live USB from Linux?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Fusion, what you are experiencing is an alpha -grade o/s where things don't work yet. Read the installation notes and have a look around the forum and you'll see the state of USB. The situation changes and improves so keep your eyes open and good news might just be around the corner.

Post your full and comprehensive machine specs and you never know, someone here might be able to help.

It is strongly recommended you read those installation notes before you do anything else with your PC.,
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

@dizt3mp3r, I think you misread the post. The issue isn't ReactOS failing. It's the system not even attempting to boot. It's likely the USB isn't being created properly.

@fusion809, sorry, I have no idea how to do that under Linux. You could try running Rufus from a Windows box, but you need Admin rights for Rufus to work. If that doesn't work, and this is a stretch, but maybe you could setup a virtual machine with a Windows build, pass through the USB drive, and run Rufus from within that. (I don't think Rufus has been tested with ReactOS, but I'm pretty certain it won't work properly. A demo build of actual MS Windows should work just fine though.) Please be aware that ReactOS is an Alpha grade OS, which could corrupt your system! Don't use it on your main PC!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Apologies! My focus was on his wanting to install it on his Linux PC, I was more worried about his data then he might perhaps be. As soon as I read partitions and installation in a post I get worried!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, in theory bootcd.iso SHOULD be flashable because it contains MBR and every stuff you need to make it boot everywhere. Colin Finck had quite a fun time to make our build tools create such a chimera ISO. So the dd variant should be the way to go, because the test cases were for example a qemu with ISO loaded as hdd. You could try your luck with these ISOs, too. New USB driver active in that case. http://vgal.ru.com/
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fusion809

Post by fusion809 »

Thanks folks. The main reason I want to try it out is because I use it in VirtualBox rather frequently to play the game, Outlive (a 2001 Brazilian [English being an available language though] RTS game) and unfortunately its graphics go whacky in the VM. I was hoping outside a VM its graphics might be a little more stable. It doesn't render the game unplayable but still it'd be wonderful to be free of it. Seems like I'd be better off just 'sucking it up' and sticking to a VM and not installing it to my actual PC.

Thanks for your time
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I try to get some more information today evening. Maybe I am wrong ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You are better of sticking to a VM unless you don't mind being potentially destructive toward your current rig and the partitions already loaded on it. Test it on real hardware by all means but read the notes and understand the potential for doing damage and avoid that at all costs.

Look at Kevin's post re: installing on real hardware and see it is entirely possible but he has a single partition.