Keyboard and mouse errors

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Teevo

Keyboard and mouse errors

Post by Teevo »

So I have an old PC laying around that supported React OS 0.4.6. It worked fine. And after I found out about React OS 0.4.8, I wanted to upgrade. It installed fine. However, after getting passed the boot screen, it will always bluescreen when there is a PS/2 mouse, or anything USB plugged in. I found that the driver MOUCLASS.SYS appears to be having problems with these devices. When I attempt to boot the machine with only a PS/2 keyboard, it will get to the React OS Setup wizard no problem. However, the PS/2 keyboard stops working here. And I can't plug in a USB keyboard or mouse on the Setup Wizard, because it won't load them up. I tried different keyboards, and tried Serial mice instead of PS/2. With the serial mouse, I would get the same bluescreen issue with any other mouse. Just a thing I'd like to report.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Keyboard and mouse errors

Post by EmuandCo »

http://vgal.ru.com/reactos-0-4-7-2-new-usb/ try these please and report back ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

Thanks for the link. Although the computer I'm using doesn't support booting from USB, so I can't use it.
milon

Post by milon »

You don't have to boot from USB - it just has better USB support than standard builds. Is there any reason not to try it?
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

My reason for not trying it is because the computer I'm trying this on doesn't support booting from USB.
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

OK, I read things over again, and I realise my mistake in reading. Sorry about that.
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

A USB keyboard results in the boot screen crashing. PS/2 keyboards work, but again, support for any device besides the monitor drops during the setup wizard. Update: A PS/2 mouse will result in a bluescreen after the bootscreen.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Funny hardware you have... any way to get a serial null modem cable on it and get some debug information? https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

I don't have any sort of modem, unfortunately.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Teevo wrote:I don't have any sort of modem, unfortunately.
You do not need a modem! It is the name of the type of cable. It connects to the serial port on two seperate computers, so they can talk to each other.

You set up a terminal on the receiving computer, such as Putty and ReactOS will output it's debug info through the serial port, which is then captured in Putty or other terminal on the second computer, but ReactOS needs to be run in Debug mode for this to happen. You need to configure Putty to output to a file, so that you can post the debug info into a Jira Issue (report).

Code: Select all

Computer No1 (ReactOS) <--------------------> computer No2 (Windows or Unix) with Putty
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

I think I might have another machine with a serial port. I'm going to have to check.
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

Update: I unfortunately don't have another PC with a serial port.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Teevo wrote:Update: I unfortunately don't have another PC with a serial port.
What is generally used in cases like this, is a serial to usb cable, like this one: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

(You connect that to the machine with the debugger / putty on it)
Teevo

Post by Teevo »

Thanks for the suggestion. I might look into that.