SSL Certificate Verification Failed

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

airbornedude501

SSL Certificate Verification Failed

Post by airbornedude501 »

Hello,

Trying to run the ReactOS Applications Manager and I am getting a SSL Certificate Verification Failed. The app manager will open after I click the ok button in the messagebox, but will not populate with anything to download.

Is there something going on with your certs? Or is there something I need to tweak?

BTW: I am running this is a VirtualBox VM. I have the network running, I am able to surf the internet with the ReactOS VM.

Thanks,
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: SSL Certificate Verification Failed

Post by EmuandCo »

Hi, some more information would be useful, like... which version of ROS? If last release, try a nightly.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DougLyons

Post by DougLyons »

Within the last two or three days there was an SSL Certificate change and RAPPS update and this seems to have broken any older versions of the ReactOS Application Manager being able to download its listings. See CORE-14350 for details. You probably just need to update your build or ISO file that you downloaded to the latest version.
middings

Post by middings »

Syn3rg

Post by Syn3rg »

Fresh Install of Fresh download here:
Build 20171124-0.4.7-release.GNU_4.7.2

Getting the same error in Applications Manager

====== UPDATE 02-27-2018 ======
I wasn't getting the latest from Soueceforge; they were still pushing the 0.4.7 ISO.
Will try 0.4.8 and and another update.

====== UPDATE 02-28-2018 ======
0.4.7 is the latest release
0.4.8-RC Does not have the SSL errors updating Applications Manager
airbornedude501

Post by airbornedude501 »

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. It makes me feel better when other have experienced the same issue. I will try a different build. I thought I had the latest, but I will check and if I need to, will go back a version or 2.

I am going to run it in my ESXi server once I know that it is working.
WT0F

Post by WT0F »

But wait, the currently supported version of ReactOS is 0.4.7, so why is there not a process for updating the certificate store on ReactOS 0.4.7?

I understand that ReactOS is a free Operating System, but if the developers really are purposely alienating users by abandoning the current stable version, then there really is no future for ReactOS. To me this is a dangerous precedence to set and a warning signal to me that I won't trust ReactOS for any use even just playing with. I just won't waste my time if that is how they want to treat users.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

I'm sure there's a way that older builds could be updated (depending on how RApps checks the cert... either by replacing a cert file somewhere or replacing the whole RApps EXE).

The thing about ROS is that it's alpha software under active development. If you have an older version installed, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from installing the latest version. You shouldn't be running anything irreplaceable. And why wouldn't you want all the new fixes and features? Why should ROS devs waste their time finding a fix, when a new version is about to be released that no longer has the issue?

Complaining that a previous build, even if it's deemed "current/stable" is no longer supported is kinda silly. The new 0.4.8 build will be "current/stable" soon. Then, in another few months, a new version will replace that. At any point, there could be a major regression or compatibility issue. This is no reflection on the ROS devs or community, it's simply how early-stage software development works. It's inherently unstable.

Wait for 1.0 if you really need to run something you can "trust" to work.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

WT0F wrote:But wait, the currently supported version of ReactOS is 0.4.7, so why is there not a process for updating the certificate store on ReactOS 0.4.7?

I understand that ReactOS is a free Operating System, but if the developers really are purposely alienating users by abandoning the current stable version, then there really is no future for ReactOS. To me this is a dangerous precedence to set and a warning signal to me that I won't trust ReactOS for any use even just playing with. I just won't waste my time if that is how they want to treat users.
there is no stable version, we are still in alpha.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

WT0F wrote:But wait, the currently supported version of ReactOS is 0.4.7, so why is there not a process for updating the certificate store on ReactOS 0.4.7?
The problem you're experiencing is fixed in the next release, 0.4.8. 0.4.7 is old and it'll be replaced soon anyways.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

airbornedude501 wrote: Trying to run the ReactOS Applications Manager and I am getting a SSL Certificate Verification Failed. The app manager will open after I click the ok button in the messagebox, but will not populate with anything to download.,
I had the same issue and a few other minor ones so I created a YouTube video to help others, if interested you can skip about 2 min. into it to bypass the intro and Virtual Box install. https://youtu.be/NHRPEEbtjNU

Hope it's helpful to you.
middings

Post by middings »

learn_more wrote:
WT0F wrote:But wait, the currently supported version of ReactOS is [...]
there is no stable version, we are still in alpha.
Yes, the phrases "currently supported version" and "stable version" are meaningless for ReactOS at this time. You know this but newcomers to ReactOS often do not. Although the version of ReactOS WT0F is experimenting with is called a release, it is not what a commercial software vendor means by "release". Other projects prefer the term 'milestone'.

WT0F also wondered, "why is there not a process for updating the certificate store (in a soon to be obsolete version of ReactOS)?" The developers have chosen to work on ReactOS functionality important for the next release. I agree that the expiration of the security certificate the RAPPS feature of ReactOS depends on was annoying for people who wanted to experiment with RAPPS.

A release candidate for ReactOS version 0.4.8 is available. Try that instead of the older releases. I believe the most recent release candidate (0.4.8-RC...) is linked here.