ROSBE Auto-incrementing variable?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Missingno50

ROSBE Auto-incrementing variable?

Post by Missingno50 »

See below. Trust me it's kinda worth it if you need a little bit of extra info. Long story short, I want to make an automatic incrementing variable for my program that I'll be compiling using the on board compiler for ROSBE, for a build number. How would I do this?
Last edited by Missingno50 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
learn_more
Developer

Re: ROSBE Automated Build Number?

Post by learn_more »

RosBE is not a compiler.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, it includes one, but I have no clue what you want from us @Missingno50. Somehow I feel like I said this twice in 3 minutes to you... /me keeps an eye on this person!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

learn_more wrote:RosBE is not a compiler.
Yep....
You know what, I should just give up. I'm confusing everything for something else.
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
justincase

?

Post by justincase »

Are you trying to get your locally built version of ReactOS to include it's build number somewhere, or are you trying to include a ReactOS build version number in a program you're writing? or ... what were you trying to ask about when you opened this thread?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
oldman

Post by oldman »

justincase wrote:Are you trying to get your locally built version of ReactOS to include it's build number somewhere , . . . . . ?
That is what I thought that he was asking, and I too would like to know! I believe that a few years ago I ask about this very same thing, but I do not remember getting a positive reply.

So how is it done with the latest builds? They all come with the commit number and I understand that they are built automatically.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

oldman wrote:
justincase wrote:Are you trying to get your locally built version of ReactOS to include it's build number somewhere , . . . . . ?
That is what I thought that he was asking, and I too would like to know! I believe that a few years ago I ask about this very same thing, but I do not remember getting a positive reply.

So how is it done with the latest builds? They all come with the commit number and I understand that they are built automatically.
So, the idea was for C++/C/C# builds. How do I make an auto increment variable that shows a build number of my program(not a rebuild of ROS), much like what Visual C++ Studio could do with a tick mark that says "Auto-increment"
ReactOS builds do not have an increment build variable. No, instead they variables that are stored in /sdk/include/reactos/version.cmake under the uncompiled code of ROS if I am editing the code correctly.
justincase

Re: ROSBE Auto-incrementing variable?

Post by justincase »

Um, AFAIK, no part of ReactOS is written in C#, and RosBE doesn't include a C# compiler, so cross that one off of your list.

If you're building your own program, and just using RosBE to compile it, I don't see how editing any part of the ReactOS source is going do help you.

Anyway, as learn_more said, RosBE isn't a compiler, and as EmuandCo said, it does include a compiler (multiple actually), however, the automatically incremented 'build number' type variable isn't really something the compiler does. You say "much like what Visual C++ Studio could do", and while Visual Studio does offer an auto-incremented 'build number' feature, it's also not a compiler either (o_0), rather Visual Studio is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), which comes with the Microsoft C/C++ compiler.

Basically, what it comes down to is that you're looking for an IDE feature in a collection of utilities that ... doesn't include an IDE. Sorry.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

justincase wrote:Um, AFAIK, no part of ReactOS is written in C#, and RosBE doesn't include a C# compiler, so cross that one off of your list.

If you're building your own program, and just using RosBE to compile it, I don't see how editing any part of the ReactOS source is going do help you.

Anyway, as learn_more said, RosBE isn't a compiler, and as EmuandCo said, it does include a compiler (multiple actually), however, the automatically incremented 'build number' type variable isn't really something the compiler does. You say "much like what Visual C++ Studio could do", and while Visual Studio does offer an auto-incremented 'build number' feature, it's also not a compiler either (o_0), rather Visual Studio is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), which comes with the Microsoft C/C++ compiler.

Basically, what it comes down to is that you're looking for an IDE feature in a collection of utilities that ... doesn't include an IDE. Sorry.
He means how can he make each build tick off the number like;
project-name-1, project-name-2, project-name-100

or more ReactOS example;
reactos-0.4.9-dev-500, reactos-0.4.9-dev-511

Most likely was curious if it was a RosBE feature or how else was it performed.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

@Missingno50
There is afaik no build-in feature that allows you to do that. To archive what you want, you have to write an external utility to do it and let the make script call it.
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

Good enough. Thanks for answering my really stupid question!