I don't know what to put for a title

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrmajik45

I don't know what to put for a title

Post by mrmajik45 »

icons of killed and finished process are now automatically removed, even when apps crash. This is something that Windows doesn't even provide with Win10, and many Windows users may have noticed.
Watch as microsoft comes to ReactOS's door asking how they did it.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
cb88

Re: I don't know what to put for a title

Post by cb88 »

I know! Some commercial software I use (for HMIs) creates a bunch of tray icons, and every time you restart it's runtime during development it dumps a bunch more icon's in there... I've seen upwards of 50 icons in my tray from dead apps before!
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

cb88 wrote:I know! Some commercial software I use (for HMIs) creates a bunch of tray icons, and every time you restart it's runtime during development it dumps a bunch more icon's in there... I've seen upwards of 50 icons in my tray from dead apps before!
that is some shitty written software then :)
cb88

Post by cb88 »

learn_more wrote:
cb88 wrote:I know! Some commercial software I use (for HMIs) creates a bunch of tray icons, and every time you restart it's runtime during development it dumps a bunch more icon's in there... I've seen upwards of 50 icons in my tray from dead apps before!
Not sure why you would jump to that conclusion... basically there is an HMI runtime service, OPC service, SQL bridge service etc... these get tray icons instead of windows during development I start and stop the entire runtime pretty often sometimes, which causes those programs to close and the tray icon to be zombie. The fact that they get zombified is apparently a windows bug, I've ran into it when creating a tray icon from C# myself.

I think perhaps you could programmatically remove the icon when closing your application, though I haven't tested that yet, but the fact that windows requires this instead of just cleaning up itself is pretty silly...
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

cb88 wrote:
learn_more wrote:
Not sure why you would jump to that conclusion... basically there is an HMI runtime service, OPC service, SQL bridge service etc... these get tray icons instead of windows during development I start and stop the entire runtime pretty often sometimes, which causes those programs to close and the tray icon to be zombie. The fact that they get zombified is apparently a windows bug, I've ran into it when creating a tray icon from C# myself.

I think perhaps you could programmatically remove the icon when closing your application, though I haven't tested that yet, but the fact that windows requires this instead of just cleaning up itself is pretty silly...
it is not a windows bug, it is an application failing to clean up.
The fact that windows does not clean up after an application failing to cleanup, could be argued for to be a windows bug.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

learn_more wrote:Watch as microsoft comes to ReactOS's door asking how they did it.
To ask properly, they need to open source Windows 10 under GPL2 and provide us a way to contribute publicly. We will fix it for them then.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

erkinalp wrote:Windows 10 under GPL2
MIT > GPL
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

GPL2 is preferred here as we will be able to contribute to Windows and Microsoft will be able to contribute to ReactOS. Win-win. With MIT, we can take but not give.
If they open source under GPL3, we should ask our contributors for relicensing. I think we will succeed in relicensing, see how Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap did relicensing for successful relicensing moves. Win-win with a few months of delay.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

erkinalp wrote:GPL2 is preferred here as we will be able to contribute to Windows and Microsoft will be able to contribute to ReactOS. Win-win. With MIT, we can take but not give.
GPL doesn't require anyone to give back, either. It only requires to state changes and license under same license. In this case, if you want to contribute back, that would be your choice.

Anyways, MS wouldn't use GPL anyways because it is not commercial friendly. If anything, they would probably use the MSPL or make a custom license specifically for Windows.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

" 'Crap'pl"?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We use many licenses and even public domain code, Many ppl won't allow their 2-clause-BSD licensed code or even PD code to be put under a way too restritive license like GPLv3. But we will not start a licensing war here now, else I stop it immediately.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

I did not intend to start a flamewar but just wanted to present possible paths after open sourcing of Windows 10. Full co-operation between Microsoft and ReactOS or principled separation (anything from open sourced Windows would be rejected). Anything between would not be able to enforced strictly enough. Full co-operation requires copyleft to protect (acquis) rights of both sides. Principled separation does not. That is why I oppose inclusion of open sourced Windows components into ReactOS without open sourcing of whole Windows under GPL.