82865G graphics woes

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

frogz2007

82865G graphics woes

Post by frogz2007 »

At the moment I'm trying to get my OptiPlex 170L to work with ROS. At the moment, it installs and boots fine, along with the network driver (it installs just fine and works beautifully), but the graphics (and sound) are what I'm aiming to get working.

From what I found via a few searches on Google, somebody on the forum implied that it works fine (this post was in September of 2011, mind you) but I can't get the graphics to exactly work as they should. If I manually install the driver and reboot, the screen's resolution degrades to something insanely small and the color bit depth goes down to probably 8 colors... That, and the OS nearly locks up if I try to adjust the resolution.

I will most definitely try a live 0.3.14 image and slipstream the graphics driver files into the ISO and will report back. However, I wanted to know: are the DLL files necessary, or would just putting the inf / sys files in the appropriate directories suffice?

Thanks a lot, all. I'm blown away at the amount of progress this has made...

Oh, and for reference: The audio driver exhibits a very interesting behavior if you install the driver manually on this particular machine. You see, the OS locks up if you attempt to reboot the OS after installing it. I've had this exact same issue on a Latitude D610 laptop when I installed.. the audio driver. I'm sure it's an issue with the audio stack.
Julcar

Re: 82865G graphics woes

Post by Julcar »

Seems that you are a bit outdated, I suggest you got a recent build from http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds and try to install on your hardware, these newer builds have a lot of fixes and improvements on drivers and interfaces you are looking for.
frogz2007

Post by frogz2007 »

Ah, sorry. I should have been more clear: I originally tried some recent trunk builds and the graphics driver didn't work right, so I did some searches online and came across a topic from 2011 in where somebody seemingly had it working fine.

I tried the 0.3.14 LiveCD just now and integrated the graphics driver in the ISO prior to burning, and believe it or not, it correctly identified the graphics chip in the Device Manager and I could tell it was installed since the UI elements looked sharp when the slider was bumped to 1600.

What's interesting is this particular graphics chip, on Windows at least, will NOT go to 1920x1080 (the resolution my monitor is) whereas on Linux it goes to 1920 perfectly fine. I tried to set the resolution to 1920 just to see what would happen and it locked the OS up and it gave some nonsensical garbage (mostly vertical lines and odd colors) on the screen.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

You should try debugging the system to set the breakpoint of the failure, when initializing ReactOS please select the "Screen" option and try to take a photo of your monitor when the debugger breaks
middings

Post by middings »

User Oldman wrote a useful guide "How to get a debug log". Because the PC's video is affected by the problem, debugging may require a connecting another PC in order to view the debugger's output.
frogz2007

Post by frogz2007 »

I've thought about doing this. I think the 170L has a serial port since I saw a setting in the BIOS which suggests it being on the board, though my main PC sure doesn't have one...