Crytomining web

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rosh

Crytomining web

Post by Rosh »

It just a thought I had, and I ask:

is viable a web in or outside ReactOS website, that uses visitor´s CPU with his/her consent to do bitcoint mining?
New web mark as bitcoins mining use for volunteer that would donate their CPU power.
Could be useful to get some bitcoins to ReactOS project?
Julcar

Re: Crytomining web

Post by Julcar »

You could instead mining the crypto on your pc and then donate your earns, ReactOS itself cannot get involved in these activities because is a foundation behind the development, and as a foundation, only can be maintained with third parties donations
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Julcar is right, otherwise ReactOS Foundation become a bank and ReactOS would became a banking software.
Last edited by erkinalp on Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

So how dificul is to do a criptomining web that uses visitor`s CPU power?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Rosh wrote:So how dificul is to do a criptomining web that uses visitor`s CPU power?
I think web cryptomining is useless, because the CPU performance is too low, comparing with GPU.

Also you couldn't execute arbitrary CPU instructions in browser, so it will slow down even more. And no matter how many people visit the site at the moment.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I vote against doing that. I would tend to verbally kill anyone doing that on my CPU because I decided to visit a website. If you want donations, ask for em and nothing else is allowed.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

I agree with EmaundCo. The cryptomining idea does not fit the Foundation's legal purposes. Running cryptomining software on the PCs of visitors to ReactOS.org will instantly give ReactOS a bad reputation in the FOSS developer community.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

I've seen these things embedded in websites before and it's not something that happens automatically; you need to "OK" the thing to start, IIRC.

That said, I don't think the possible pennies-per-year payout is worth risking ROS's reputation, especially since it's an international project and not all nations are 100% cool with cryptocurrencies.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Financing an OS by doing reserve banking is not something doomed to succeed. Donations are voluntary. Reserve banking (even in cryptocurrency) implies force and unconsensual crypto mining can be considered levy in many jurisdictions.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

As I said before, everyone is free to do the mining on his computer and then donate the earnings to ReactOS
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

Does ReactOS project accepts other cryptocurrencys than bitcoin: etherium for example?
Only bitcoin is listed in donate page.