Can't get to First Base with LiveCD

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

cooltouch

Can't get to First Base with LiveCD

Post by cooltouch »

Hi, I'm new here, just having found out about ReactOS a short while ago. I'm an OS2 user from way back and ran OS2 machines for years until it just finally went away. I've been an unwilling participant under the MS Hegemony ever since, and would love to get out from underneath it. I've tried Linux, and it's cool and all, but a few programs that I have to have won't run under it. So I'm kinda stuck.

Anyway, I d/l'd the LiveCD file from the ReactOS website just a few minutes ago, so whatever version it is is the version that's available for download right now. I burned it to disk, but I'm getting an error message when it tries to run:

D:\ is not a valid Win32 Application

D: is the drive letter for my CD drive. This is a 64-bit machine also. Is that a problem?

Any advice on how I can get unstuck from this, and I'd appreciate it.

Also, if I decide to install ReactOS, I have about 45 GB of room on one of my partitions that I was planning to use for it. Can I install it to that partition, or do I have to make a new one for that hunk of drive space in order to install ReactOS?

How about a dual-boot situation? Is this something that gets set up as part of the install so I can continue to use Win7?

Do you need info about my computer? It's an older, but still very capable machine. I built it. It has an ASRock motherboard, a Quad core AMD processor running at 3.2GHz, 8 Gigs of Ram. A couple of Terrabytes of drive space.

And once I get it running, I guess I'll need to reinstall my apps into ReactOS, right?
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Can't get to First Base with LiveCD

Post by hbelusca »

cooltouch wrote: D:\ is not a valid Win32 Application

D: is the drive letter for my CD drive. This is a 64-bit machine also. Is that a problem?
Hi,

That's just due to a small problem of the autorun feature in the CD ISO, you can just ignore it.
Because, if you want to run the livecd, you need to boot on it.

About testing ReactOS on real hardware:
As you have certainly seen on the website, ReactOS is not yet ready for "production", as it is very unstable and works correctly on few types of machines. Testing on real hardware is thus at your own risk. That's why I would strongly disfavour installing ReactOS on the same hard disk as your other operating systems / precious data.
cooltouch

Post by cooltouch »

Thanks for your response. Actually the disk I was thinking about installing it onto is a disk that I install programs and keep data only. It isn't the Win root disk. But it does contain "precious data." So in view of that, then, I guess I should prepare a separate partition? Also, will ReactOS assist in any way in setting up a dual boot arrangement, or am I on my own as far as that goes?

Thanks for the clarification, btw. Guess I need to restart this machine and see what it's all about.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

You should definitely use a completely separate disk.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

cooltouch wrote:Thanks for your response. Actually the disk I was thinking about installing it onto is a disk that I install programs and keep data only. It isn't the Win root disk. But it does contain "precious data." So in view of that, then, I guess I should prepare a separate partition? Also, will ReactOS assist in any way in setting up a dual boot arrangement, or am I on my own as far as that goes?

Thanks for the clarification, btw. Guess I need to restart this machine and see what it's all about.
you could create and format another partition from another operating system, i.e linux, using gparted or fdisk you can dimensionate the new partition and format him and then just install Reactos on the new partition, without touching the disk from Reactos, and when installing the bootloader, choose the second option, so Reactos does not overwrite your current boot loader