64bit ReactOS Availability (Latest Firefox + Wine 64)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

karlexceed

Re: 64bit ReactOS Availability (Latest Firefox + Wine 64)

Post by karlexceed »

anthracen wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 pm I feel like you didn't get what I said at all.
True.
milon

Post by milon »

e8hffff wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:27 pm For those saying I was an idiot getting rid of my Win10 image, well I only used it for displaying webpages to see how the HTML/CSS displayed in that environment, and from time to time, run the likes of FlashTools (yep there's a Linux version) for phone flashing, or driving my flatbed scanner. Linux lacks scanner driver support.
So, why not just reinstall Windows 10? If you had a valid license before, you should still have it. And it will automatically authenticate in most scenarios.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
tip sarcasm doesn't translate well to text
if you have a second computer running windows then you can download the media creation tool to get install media
i agree that a GNU / linux desktop can look ugly it just depends on the desktop environment my favorite GNU / linux distro is pclinuxos

the only reason to install windows for testing webpages is to test it in IE and edge Firefox on windows should render the same as Firefox on linux or mac
Last edited by MadWolf on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

How many time should be necessary for the people to understand that is an ALPHA ?
- The drivers don't work in the major part (only Keyboard, mice...).
- The work for a 64bit release it's in course.
- The OS works only on Virtual Machine and few configs.
- The goal for the moment is NT5 (XP/2003) and not recent OS (W7/W10)
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

e8hffff wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:29 pm If I were the ReactOS Developers, I would stop 90% of works on 32Bit ReactOS and concentrate on the 64bit side.
You and I may agree, but the developers here seem to know what they want and where they are headed. We can suggest alternative directions, but it is for the long term creators of this project to decide it's direction for better or worse. The concept of a stable 32 bit Windows circa 2003 single core, isn't bad as an initial goal. Unfortunately as time goes by this seems less and less useful. It is very clear the developers here are honest, and are trying to break a Microsoft monopoly, lets hope they get more development support so their immediate goals can be met asap.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

You have to fully implement win32 period even on a 64bit windows.

It's not like all applications are or even need to be 64bit anyway. Most games are still 32bit for instance.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Some new UEFI-based computers are AMD64 longmode-only (all other modes software disabled). Additionally, Intel plans to manufacture new EMT64 processors long mode only to save die space. 64 bit only build intended for them could be made before ROSoROS gets completed, which is necessary for 64 bit builds with 32 bit compatibility.
ROSoROS: ReactOS on ReactOS
Last edited by erkinalp on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
cb88

Post by cb88 »

erkinalp wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm
Some new UEFI-based computers are AMD64 longmode-only (all other modes software disabled). Additionally, Intel plans to manufacture new IA64 processors long mode only to save die space. 64 bit only build intended for them could be made before ROSoROS gets completed, which is necessary for 64 bit builds with 32 bit compatibility.
ROSoROS: ReactOS on ReactOS
IA64 is Itanium FYI, EMT64 is Intel's name for their version of AMD's 64bit extensions to x86. Anything Intel tries to do here to remove x86 is probably doomed from the beginning. Best cased is they remove the on die hardware and implement a software fallback in the firmware to emulate x86 but that would probably flop like a waffle as it would slow down any 32bit software.

Also lack of 32bit EFI support is entirely an OEM problem just don't buy hardware that does that. Acutally I ran across one little cheap set top box that had a 32bit only EFI... meaning you could only specific versions of windows if you held your face just right...

It is also worth noting that even if the EFI disables booting 32bit OSes you can still run 32bit software...
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Are you sure about there being dual architecture EFI?
From everything i have read they are 32bit or 64bit not both.
fashnioter

Post by fashnioter »

Do not you also have the script load slowly on firefox?
cb88

Post by cb88 »

Zombiedeth wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:06 pm Are you sure about there being dual architecture EFI?
From everything i have read they are 32bit or 64bit not both.
Well yes there is, but that isn't what I said. a 64bit kernel still needs to be able to run 32bit apps which means you have to implement the entire 32bit userland.

To put it very simply there is

BIOS/EFI -> bootloader -> kernel -> (Windows API-> applications) aka Userland

At the very least anything in userland can be 32bit..

The other thing is a 32bit EFI can't generally load a 64bit kernel, but a 64bit EFI can load a 32bit kernel as that is a subset of functionality etc... basically you'd do someting like 64bit EFI -> 64bit bootloader -> 32bit kernel etc...
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

The other thing is a 32bit EFI can't generally load a 64bit kernel
UEFI never loads kernels. OS loaders do. And it's not any different for an OS loader (32 bit efi application) to load the kernel and then switch into a long mode than for the loader on BIOS machines.
middings

Post by middings »

erkinalp wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm...Intel plans to manufacture new EMT64 processors long mode only to save die space.
I have heard that news too. I suspect that such processors will be popular in server farms. Circuitry that is not present uses no extra power. Some server farms consume as much electricity as cities. A big server installation could be set up without any legacy 32-bit Windows software. Also, an x64-only processor might have more cores in the same size die compared to today's popular x86-64 processors. That is also useful for large servers. There may be some other niche applications that use the x64 architecture exclusively and require the power savings.

I am confident that processors able to run both 64- and 32-bit Windows software will be with us for a long time. Much legacy 32-bit Windows software remains in use. Retraining is expensive. Re-writing software is expensive. (If one lacks the source code, re-writing software is hugely expensive.) Changing software is expensive. The largest corporations and government agencies will not happily throw away perfectly good commercial and written-in-house 32-bit Windows applications that they use.
Last edited by middings on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

anthracen wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:51 pm
The other thing is a 32bit EFI can't generally load a 64bit kernel
UEFI never loads kernels. OS loaders do. And it's not any different for an OS loader (32 bit efi application) to load the kernel and then switch into a long mode than for the loader on BIOS machines.
While you are correct to point out the inaccuracy of my statement. You also have perpetrated an inaccuracy, any kernel that is implemented as an EFI loadable executable can be loaded directly. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB
Last edited by cb88 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

accidentally quoted myself