Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 (and sometimes 5.2) that should NOT be ported to React

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Re: Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to React

Post by manuel »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:16 pm In windows 10 (?) the background image has now been tied into Windows explorer whereas it was previously independent of it. This means that when explorer.exe is not running the desktop is blank. This ties any look-and-feel into explorer's GUI and prevents you from running alternate shells that do not have the means to update the background themselves. Previously you could add a background, kill windows explorer and use alternate shell elements such as rocketdock and jetstart and have a usable desktop without explorer.exe running.

Let ReactOS please avoid this less than useful tie-in of the background image to explorer.exe. OK, this is a win10 feature and this thread should perhaps limit itself to aspects of Vista/7? Otherwise we can go on forever.
+1
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:40 pm but it cannot be reduced in size to a sliver
Sorry for the misunderstood. Strangely I have been forgotten this possibility in the previous Windows, but it's true it's impossible now.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

shunesburg wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:13 pm Sorry for the misunderstood. Strangely I have been forgotten this possibility in the previous Windows, but it's true it's impossible now.
No worries at all :D it could be made to shrink to zero size which wasn't very useful as it was very hard to get it back again but shrinking to a sliver could (like all customisation) be useful at times.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Reminder: 6. Do not double/triple/etc post.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:16 pm In windows 10 (?) the background image has now been tied into Windows explorer whereas it was previously independent of it. This means that when explorer.exe is not running the desktop is blank. This ties any look-and-feel into explorer's GUI and prevents you from running alternate shells that do not have the means to update the background themselves. Previously you could add a background, kill windows explorer and use alternate shell elements such as rocketdock and jetstart and have a usable desktop without explorer.exe running.
My guess is that's related to the improved ability to customize multi-screen wallpaper layout. This is an extremely useful feature, and Microsoft's decision not to put that additional logic into win32k seems entirely reasonable. So you'd have to find some sort of middle ground, and it likely would still make 3rd party shells fall behind the built-in one.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:50 am Reminder: 6. Do not double/triple/etc post.
What ARE you talking about?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ThFabba wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am My guess is that's related to the improved ability to customize multi-screen wallpaper layout. This is an extremely useful feature, and Microsoft's decision not to put that additional logic into win32k seems entirely reasonable. So you'd have to find some sort of middle ground, and it likely would still make 3rd party shells fall behind the built-in one.
I suppose that make sense. Still though, I'd like to see it handled slightly differently on ReactOS. It might be possible to have the multi-screen wallpaper functionality but the image itself remain persistent despite the absence of explorer.exe.
middings

Post by middings »

dizt3mp3r, PurpleGurl is reminding you of the ReactOS Forum's Code of Conduct. You can find a link to it in the Announcements section that is at the top of every forum here.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I m raising a post on each issue as it turns up in my head. If I wrote it all in one big post it would be a disorganised mess relating to nothing and it would contribute nothing. So I will continue to raise each discrete item as a separate and discrete post as it makes sense to do so on all forums the whole world over. Others are interjecting as they see fit. Not my fault that they are slower to raise posts than I am. The title is "Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to ReactOS" and not "write an essay on the Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to ReactOS", I am raising each of mine as I see fit and in a manner that is logical to do so.

The thread has been hijacked - I do hate that, let's put it back on track.

I'll raise another shortly when I have time to think on the matter some more. I am sure I have one or two other (discrete and unconnected) aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to ReactOS that I'd like to raise here.
Quim

Post by Quim »

We should do a wiki with all NT 6.x features listed in order to see clearly what to implement and what to not. :!:
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Quim wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:47 am do a wiki with all NT 6.x features listed
Like this, but more for user-facing functionality?
https://reactos.org/wiki/Missing_ReactOS_Functionality
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

Quim wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:47 am We should do a wiki with all NT 6.x features listed in order to see clearly what to implement and what to not. :!:
Or we could first worry about getting a system that's usable for any purpose whatsoever, and then worry about making it support fancy new features ^^
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ThFabba wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 am
Or we could first worry about getting a system that's usable for any purpose whatsoever, and then worry about making it support fancy new features ^^
No, not at all. It is a good idea to encourage discussion and encourage a direction. It shows the intent of the community to share in the direction of ReactOS. In any case you seem to think that this thread is about including any fancy new features, it is specifically about NOT including certain fancy new features.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Quim wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:47 am We should do a wiki with all NT 6.x features listed in order to see clearly what to implement and what to not. :!:
If we assume ReactOS is pure NT5, interface et al then the list is really superfluous.

However a list as a wiki does become more and more relevant as ReactOS is made increasingly compatible with NT6. NT6 compatibility is inevitable and a desire toward compatibility is good. It might however result in ReactOS adopting NT6 style functionality in other areas and that I suppose it what this thread should be about.

Not just a general list of NT6 things we don't like (I am guilty of this) but a list of NT6 aspects that might be adopted as improvements to ReactOS that we do not want.
manuel

Post by manuel »

ThFabba wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 am Or we could first worry about getting a system that's usable for any purpose whatsoever, and then worry about making it support fancy new features ^^
+1