67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

Re: My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by wildschwein »

oceanmariner wrote:I'm a Microsoft hater and have been for a long time. The only MS product I have bought for about 20 years is the windows os when necessary. I've been looking for a windows replacement for a long time. It seems the largest amount of software is written for the PC. I have a Mac, Linux, and Win 7 computers. I had a surprise update to windows 10 on the Linux computer when it was windows 7. I ran 10 for a couple months, upgraded perfectly good software, etc. I went back to 7 and bought a new custom kaby lake/gigabyte with 10 already installed. I was able to install 7 with a day of fooling around. Updates work fine and got rid of the "uncompatible hardware" balloon.

All I want is a simple os that will allow me to run 3rd party PC software. I don't need anything else built in. No personal assistant, no media player, no browser, no office, no email, just the basic os. It would be great if I could run old software. XP would be ok, a little more like 7 would be better. I'm hoping ReactOS will do that. If it does, I'll donate the cost of windows 10. And I'll donate the MS equivalent for each time I upgrade. I don't care if ReactOS is free. I would be happy to pay for upgrades to a operating system without built in spyware, uncontrolled updates and false warnings of uncompatibility.
oceanmariner, what about to pay FIRST every month 1/12 of the windows 10 cost....

The problem is, Reactos need the money NOW to get ready faster. You can find a donation button on the website....
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I donated 5 USD or 4 Euros. :)
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
oceanmariner

Post by oceanmariner »

oceanmariner, what about to pay FIRST every month 1/12 of the windows 10 cost....

The problem is, Reactos need the money NOW to get ready faster. You can find a donation button on the website....[/quote]

I don't buy windows yearly. Monthly is too much like a bill so OK, I gave you 50 Euros, but you don't have a OS I can use yet.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

doesn't matter how much you perhaps donate, I wanted to make people who read that considering what a LOT of small donations can have a big effort at the end...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

44. To escape from the situation where a Windows update can brick your SSD/hardware due to the bundling of incompatible firmware.
45. To avoid the situation where due to a BIOS reflash your Windows licence key is blocked and cannot be changed, even by Microsoft...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

46. To stop the planned obsolescence of hardware and software
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

shunesburg wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 pm 46. To stop the planned obsolescence of hardware and software
We already have:

20. Freedom from forced obsolescence by design, being forced by MS to abandon useful software.

I'm not sure about MS Windows and hardware obsolescence, feel free to re-word your addition.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

46. To allow vastly improved configuration practices such as the separation of the user profile from the o/s system drive.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 pm We already have:
20. Freedom from forced obsolescence by design, being forced by MS to abandon useful software.
Well seen.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think I wrote that one in the first place, so it is well-remembered (which for my fast-crumbling brain, is a positive).
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

shunesburg wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 pm 46. To stop the planned obsolescence of hardware and software
47. Freedom from forced hardware obsolescence by design, MS making useful hardware obsolete by dropping support for existing drivers.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

48. Freedom from Microsoft-enforced driver updates overwriting user-selected drivers causing hardware instability or failure to operate.

See the updated list here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868#p123529
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

49. Freedom from deliberately poor design choices such as the premature opening of the desktop well before the rest of the o/s is actually ready to operate.

See the updated list here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868#p123529
dizt3mp3r

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Updated 33. Can run on many different types of filesystems, FAT32, NTFS, IFS.

Added BTRFS.
anthracen

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by anthracen »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm Updated 33. Can run on many different types of filesystems, FAT32, NTFS, IFS.

Added BTRFS.
:lol: LOL. Our Mickey Mouse Vax/Alpha/megaadmin in vacuum, babbling about poor implementation of NT thinks IFS is a file system. Why I am not surprised.