MS-DOS 2.0 released under MIT

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

MS-DOS 2.0 released under MIT

Post by erkinalp »

MS-DOS has finally been open sourced:
https://github.com/Microsoft/MS-DOS
Pieces of MS-DOS still live in 32-bit Windows 10.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
justincase

Re: MS-DOS 2.0 released under MIT

Post by justincase »

Wow, that's kind of cool.
I suppose I shouldn't have been, but I was a little surprised to see that it's mostly (or entirely) asm files.
I don't know how useful it could be for importing any relevant portions into the ReactOS source tree, and I doubt it'll be all that helpful as a technical reference of what DOS does, as asm files don't really tell you much more than disassembling the binaries for yourself, however... there are at least some comments, which could potentially help in understanding what the devs intended in certain parts, so at least that's something.

But still, Microsoft releasing MS DOS under an OSI approved license (and especially one as permissive as the MIT license) is pretty cool in and of itself.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

That is a bit old. It didn't start becoming good until 3.1 and mature by 5.x. Then there was a 6.x that I think was hyped, and 7.x that was intrinsic to Windows 9x.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Errr, DOS source was freely available since 2014, just as lil fact
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Relicense under MIT happened yesterday.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Didn't MS DOS live until MS DOS 6.1? 2.0 would be a very very old and early DOS. Isn't there an open source freedos?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Ancient wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 pm Didn't MS DOS live until MS DOS 6.1? 2.0 would be a very very old and early DOS. Isn't there an open source freedos?
As a standalone product, yes. But I think Windows 95-ME had a DOS 7.1 packaged with it. The 6.1 or whatever was the last you could purchase by itself.
justincase

Post by justincase »

EmuandCo wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:14 pmErrr, DOS source was freely available since 2014, just as lil fact
Yeah, but it's now more available, being on GitHub.
erkinalp wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:17 pmRelicense under MIT happened yesterday.
Yeah, it's been available since 2014, but not truly open source. Now it's MIT licensed, so if there would be any benefit to using it directly, ReactOS legally can now.
Ancient wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 pmDidn't MS DOS live until MS DOS 6.1? 2.0 would be a very very old and early DOS. Isn't there an open source freedos?
PurpleGurl wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 amAs a standalone product, yes. But I think Windows 95-ME had a DOS 7.1 packaged with it. The 6.1 or whatever was the last you could purchase by itself.
IIRC, it was available as a standalone product till 6.22, Win95 was built on 7.0, and later updated to 7.10, which Win98 was built on, then WinME had DOS 8.0 which tried so hard to be NT, but ... we all know how well Windows ME did.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.