ReactOS is looking for ARM64 ninjas!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

binarymaster

ReactOS is looking for ARM64 ninjas!

Post by binarymaster »

Do you remember the glorious legend about ReactOS Portable Systems Group people also known as ARM ninjas?

Now we need people very knowledgeable in ARM64 (AArch64) programming to bring in a new ReactOS port. :)

Official support for Windows 10 on ARM development
Microsoft wrote:Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:59 pm Today is an exciting day for Windows 10 on ARM. With the official release of Visual Studio 15.9, developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM (ARM64) apps. In addition, the Microsoft Store is now officially accepting submissions for apps built for the ARM64 architecture.

This news comes at a great time, as this holiday season, our partners Lenovo and Samsung are offering new Windows 10 on ARM devices featuring the Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 processor. These second-generation ARM64 devices provide even more computing power for developers to tap into while continuing to deliver the beyond-all-day battery life customers expect from Windows 10 on ARM. Like the first-generation ARM64 devices, they are also thin, light, fast, and designed with instant-on 4G LTE connectivity in mind, while able to run the wide ecosystem of Windows applications thanks to an x86 emulation layer.

I've updated the ARM Port wiki page accordingly to motivate new coming ARM enthusiasts, hope they will notice and appreciate it.

If you feel you can into the ARM64 OS development and programming, these messages would be useful for you:
Feel free to spread the word around the communities. ;)
Last edited by binarymaster on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient

Re: ReactOS is looking for ARM64 ninjas!

Post by Ancient »

If you're gonna build, consider a Raspberry Pi 3 as a target platform.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Ancient wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:24 pm If you're gonna build, consider a Raspberry Pi 3 as a target platform.
Yep, it would be nice choice, since it can already boot Windows 10 on ARM64. :)

I've also collected a list of devices that can be used for ARM64 development or experiments (all of them can run Win10, clickable links included):
And also a new 2019 list! Devices bundled with Windows 10 ARM64:
Also running Windows 10 ARM64 in QEMU with hardware acceleration: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17977&p=136654#p136654
Last edited by binarymaster on Sat May 22, 2021 2:38 am, edited 18 times in total.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

By the way, our ARM32 port could be developed together with 64-bit one, so I also prepared a list of 32-bit ARM devices that could boot either Windows RT / Windows PE ARMv7 / Windows 10 IoT and so ReactOS in the perspective! :P

Devices bundled with Windows RT 8 or 8.1:
  • Microsoft Surface :arrow:
  • Microsoft Surface 2 :arrow:
  • Asus VivoTab RT :arrow:
  • Dell XPS 10
  • Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11 :arrow:
  • Samsung ATIV Tab GT-P8510
  • Nokia Lumia 2520 :arrow:
Devices that were hacked to boot Windows on ARM: Devices that are supported by Windows 10 IoT Core:
  • Raspberry Pi 2 v1.1
  • Raspberry Pi 3 (64-bit CPU in A32 mode)
  • DragonBoard 410c (64-bit CPU in A32 mode)
Open source ARM hardware that also could be used:
:arrow: - bootloader can be unlocked to boot an arbitrary operating system (WinPE for example)
Last edited by binarymaster on Fri May 21, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

The idea of booting a Surface into ROS warms my heart. :lol:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I spread it here: [redacted]
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

binarymaster wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:59 pm I've updated the ARM Port wiki page accordingly to motivate new coming ARM enthusiasts, hope they will notice and appreciate it.
Another general wiki page update!

I've added general information about the port, known facts in a chronological order, and TODO steps to bring the port back to life. :)
irony

Post by irony »

Now we need people very knowledgeable in ARM64 (AArch64) programming to bring in a new ReactOS port. :)
I thought, it would be worth to spend several minutes.

So, I am knowledgeable with this architecture, I can program in assembly, both 32 and 64 bit, they are quite different, I spend my spare time playing with ARM SBCs; I love system programming and NT. I even suggested my help with this over here. ... And I was banned here in a rude manner. Just because I dared to ask a local moron, very noisy and ignorant to elaborate on his stupid statements on the topic he obviously had no idea about. Banned by the hysterical moderator, "for not being polite", whereas the very same moderator allowed himself to behave as the first candidate for getting banned "for being not polite".

If this is the ReactOS way of searching for "knowledgeable in ARM64 programming"... then I safely can predict, - this project may wait yet some 20 years to bring the support. For RPi. But it's fine, meanwhile the community can enjoy compilations made by local idiots about what their reasons of chosing ReactOS are, what they dictate shouldn't be included into ReactOS and other brilliance, that is hard to overestimate. with the time of visiting this forum, I found the amount of crackpots was only increasing. linux wankers, forcing everybody to do as the want, MS "fighters" of varying degree of psychosis, delirious "visionaries", kiddies not having anything better to do than waste their time posting nonsense here...

It's irony. You got the community you deserve.
A_S

Post by A_S »

It is not good idea to make ARM port because of spread of human resources. I think will be better to focus on AMD 64 port. If you want to run ReactOS on mini computers, it can be Latter panda with Intel CherryTrail SoC for example.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

irony wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm
I thought, it would be worth to spend several minutes.

So, I am knowledgeable with this architecture, I can program in assembly, both 32 and 64 bit, they are quite different, I spend my spare time playing with ARM SBCs; I love system programming and NT. I even suggested my help with this over here. ... And I was banned here in a rude manner. Just because I dared to ask a local moron, very noisy and ignorant to elaborate on his stupid statements on the topic he obviously had no idea about. Banned by the hysterical moderator, "for not being polite", whereas the very same moderator allowed himself to behave as the first candidate for getting banned "for being not polite".

If this is the ReactOS way of searching for "knowledgeable in ARM64 programming"... then I safely can predict, - this project may wait yet some 20 years to bring the support. For RPi. But it's fine, meanwhile the community can enjoy compilations made by local idiots about what their reasons of chosing ReactOS are, what they dictate shouldn't be included into ReactOS and other brilliance, that is hard to overestimate. with the time of visiting this forum, I found the amount of crackpots was only increasing. linux wankers, forcing everybody to do as the want, MS "fighters" of varying degree of psychosis, delirious "visionaries", kiddies not having anything better to do than waste their time posting nonsense here...

It's irony. You got the community you deserve.
I thought quite a while about appoval or not in this case, especially because it's feelin a bit like thread hijacking again in your first two posts, both being clones and thus I disapproved one of em.
Buut you seem to be skilled. If you wanna help us, we are very happy about that and we'd love to see your commits and help in every part of the project.

But if you do not follow the basic rules of communication, like the one called BEING CIVIL... then we two have a problem in future again. Yes, I did not follow the rule there I accused you not to, too, yes I am the most evul guy by doing so. And last but not least, I did not behave like a well mannered moderator there, but more like a guy having too much temper to first think and then REACT (get it :P). Well, things that happen if you call someone a Nazi, because he comes from germany ^^

Anyways... I recommend you to not continue to behave like you did before and get another warning for it. If you have a problem with me and my ways to get things in shape here, you are free to PM me and cc any other mod you can find and NOT go on in here with it.

And now I am happy to welcome you a second time in here at ReactOS project! (ignoring that this is a rule breach by itself that you rejoined after a ban, but I think this one we can keep below the line this time)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

A_S wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm It is not good idea to make ARM port because of spread of human resources. I think will be better to focus on AMD 64 port. If you want to run ReactOS on mini computers, it can be Latter panda with Intel CherryTrail SoC for example.
We do not scatter human resources here, we're just looking for new qualified, patient and adequate developers, who can give a new life to the ReactOS ARM port. :P

Those developers who already working on an AMD64 port will continue their work without being distracted.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

True that. Manpower is always needed here and due to the nature of the project we can't and won't force ppl to specific tasks unless it's really urgent. Most ppl here do this as hobby and as you all know, hobby is fun and forcing ppl to do things they don't like is not. So if someone wants to get ROS bootup on ARM, he is free to join for that task or whatever thing he thinks needs fixing too. The more, the merrier
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

ARM Port of Reactos is an interesting idea but IMHO at the moment it is a bit pointless
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

MadWolf wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 am ["put whatever stuff you want here"] is an interesting idea but IMHO at the moment it is a bit pointless
There was also this argument when A.Andrejevic wanted to write the NTVDM for ReactOS 4-5 years ago. Hopefully he didn't care about that argumentation and wrote NTVDM nevertheless. The result now: people love it! :lol:
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

My opinion has always been that anyone willing to work on any aspect of ROS is a good thing. New features/ports/whatever tend to also uncover or fix bugs in other places in ROS, which makes the whole thing better off overall.

When it comes to manpower, there's always the argument that it distracts from development elsewhere, but that assumes that someone willing/able to work on one thing would be willing and able to do so on something else. But the nature of collaborative development means that that isn't always the case. Everyone has their own competencies and are free to work on whatever suits them best.